Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 06:19 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times

Advertisements

I know this isn't a relationship issue but this board is sure to examine all sides.

What are the ethics of quitting a job you just accepted?

I signed a contract to teach at a charter school and am regretting it. Between the hours (longer than most high schools) and the after school requirements, I will have to make my kids switch back to the local public schools in order to avoid not being able to particpate in their activities and avoid rediculous drive time (I'll explain this if you wish but it's long). School starts in a week, I'm a week into their training program. I just heard that I may get a job offer from the school my girls were attending tomorrow. If I do, is it right to take it?

I wanted to work at my girl's school from the beginning but the only opening they had was math and they saw me as a fantastic candiate for science but not math. They'll find out tomorrow if they're losing one of their science teachers. If they do, I've been told my name is at the top of the list and an offer will be made.

My husband says this happens all the time where you sign on with one company and another comes along with a better offer. What do you guys think?

If I get the job at their school, I eliminate all issues with conflict between metting my obligations to my kids and to my profession. In fact, I'm free to devote more time to teh latter as I'll be the one hanging around after school waiting for my kids to get done with their extra curriculars.

What do you guys think. Kind of cart before horse as I don't actually know I'm getting the offer (depends of if their science teacher got the job he went for) but the ethics of quitting a week after I accepted a job is weighing on my mind.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 06:22 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I know this isn't a relationship issue but this board is sure to examine all sides.

What are the ethics of quitting a job you just accepted?

I signed a contract to teach at a charter school and am regretting it. Between the hours (longer than most high schools) and the after school requirements, I will have to make my kids switch back to the local public schools in order to avoid not being able to particpate in their activities and avoid rediculous drive time (I'll explain this if you wish but it's long). School starts in a week, I'm a week into their training program. I just heard that I may get a job offer from the school my girls were attending tomorrow. If I do, is it right to take it?

I wanted to work at my girl's school from the beginning but the only opening they had was math and they saw me as a fantastic candiate for science but not math. They'll find out tomorrow if they're losing one of their science teachers. If they do, I've been told my name is at the top of the list and an offer will be made.

My husband says this happens all the time where you sign on with one company and another comes along with a better offer. What do you guys think?

If I get the job at their school, I eliminate all issues with conflict between metting my obligations to my kids and to my profession. In fact, I'm free to devote more time to teh latter as I'll be the one hanging around after school waiting for my kids to get done with their extra curriculars.

What do you guys think. Kind of cart before horse as I don't actually know I'm getting the offer (depends of if their science teacher got the job he went for) but the ethics of quitting a week after I accepted a job is weighing on my mind.

Thanks.

I agree with your husband. You've got to do what is right and best for your family - this is a no brainer

Old 08-21-2008, 06:24 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,167,239 times
Okay....coming from somone who works behind the scenes in public education....just be honest.....go to your principal and tell him/her your dilema....you family has to come first....if you have a better offer out there that allows you more time for your family and you want to take it you need to tell them exactly how you feel.....if they are a "true" school district they will completley understand. Just be completley honest with them. It's a dog eat dog world out there you have to do what is best for your family....or who will?

Old 08-21-2008, 06:27 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,184,340 times
I agree, the new job as it stands now would be a bad move for your family. And your first loyalty should always be to do what's best for your family, particularly your children. It's not the same as if you accepted it, then turned it down for a better job offer elsewhere.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:54 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
Definitely take the job. Your family comes first!

Old 08-21-2008, 07:26 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
I'm kind of in the middle on this. A contract is just that, a contract. I've had to live up to contracts I've regretted signing because I felt that was my word. However, given that you haven't gotten into the middle of the school year yet, you can always approach your principal and ask if a replacement could be easily found.

However, if the principal cannot help you, that means breaking your contract means leaving your employer with a serious problem. If that's really the case I think you need to suck it up and work through the contract. You knew what conditions the job would entail before you signed the contract, after all. It's the ethical thing to do, it's what you've promised to do, and you'll feel better about yourself having done that.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:28 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
What everybody else said! Just quit on a good and polite note, so you don't burn any bridges should you need to work there in the future.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I'm kind of in the middle on this. A contract is just that, a contract. I've had to live up to contracts I've regretted signing because I felt that was my word. However, given that you haven't gotten into the middle of the school year yet, you can always approach your principal and ask if a replacement could be easily found.

However, if the principal cannot help you, that means breaking your contract means leaving your employer with a serious problem. If that's really the case I think you need to suck it up and work through the contract. You knew what conditions the job would entail before you signed the contract, after all. It's the ethical thing to do, it's what you've promised to do, and you'll feel better about yourself having done that.
Actually, no I didn't. I knew the hours were longer but didn't relize that I'd have to stay even later every Wednesday for staff meetings which makes it impossible to get to the girls current school and get my younger daughter to her keyboard class. This was the straw that broke the camels back WRT my kids staying in their school. When I accepted this, I thought I could manage to keep them there with a lot of driving. Dd#2 is too talented to pull from piano and there is no other class for her level in the school she's in and no other similar school in the area. Pulling my kids from their school wasn't what I signed up for but it's what I'll have to do to accomodate this job.

Also, I had no choice but to accept as I was on unemployment and the second you turn down an offer, you can't draw anymore.

I also did not know I'd have upwards of 170 kids per day. Most high school teachers in this area have about 130. I was told after I hired in that class sizes go up to 34. And I didn't know I'd be micromanaged. That I"m really struggling with. I'm used to being treated like I'm competent and will do my job not like I need to be babysat.

The contract has a 14 days notice clause if I quit. The question is does that apply after only a week?

Old 08-21-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
What everybody else said! Just quit on a good and polite note, so you don't burn any bridges should you need to work there in the future.
Quitting after one week will burn bridiges I'm sure. Although burning this bridge doesn't matter. I had no intention of returning to this school next year because wihtout latch key (my kids will be too old next year) my girls would have been left sitting out in front of their school for 2 hours every day waiting for me if I stayed here.

The administrator who cued me in that I may get an offer told me she never would have approached me if the school year had started but does not consider a change now unethical. She says it happens all the time that teachers take one job and then another better offer comes along. Her take is if I did it after school started, which I would be if I gave the required 14 days notice in my contract, I would be.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 08-21-2008 at 08:26 PM..

Old 08-21-2008, 08:19 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Actually, no I didn't. I knew the hours were longer but didn't relize that I'd have to stay even later every Wednesday for staff meetings which makes it impossible to get to the girls current school and get my younger daughter to her keyboard class. This was the straw that broke the camels back WRT my kids staying in their school. When I accepted this, I thought I could manage to keep them there with a lot of driving. Dd#2 is too talented to pull from piano and there is no other class for her level in the school she's in and no other similar school in the area. Pulling my kids from their school wasn't what I signed up for but it's what I'll have to do to accomodate this job.

Also, I had no choice but to accept as I was on unemployment and the second you turn down an offer, you can't draw anymore.
I'm really empathetic, but here's my question for all that. Did they mislead you, or did you not ask? Ethically, it's an important distinction.

That being said, it sounds like you've already made your decision and want validation. If so, you need to do it quickly and minimize the damage to your professional reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships