Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 10:03 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,410 times

Advertisements

I don't know which would be better. Considering that you were on unemployment, you learned to live on less money anyway. So when you got the new job at $3 less than your original job, it probably did not make a difference. Yet, with the more stressful job making more money, before going home I'd probably go work out to relieve the stress before heading home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 10:11 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
We opened our own business so we were able to set our own hours and made much more money. It was a step of blind faith but it was well worth it. Well, for me it was...you might get another answer from my husband!!!

Old 09-03-2008, 10:17 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Well, for me it was...you might get another answer from my husband!!!
Of course it is for you! He's the one working! Just pulling your tail, girl. Going to work can't even begin to compare to being home with six kids!

Old 09-03-2008, 10:20 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Of course it is for you! He's the one working! Just pulling your tail, girl. Going to work can't even begin to compare to being home with six kids!
That's right!!

I used to work full time there until last December when the little ones didn't want to be put down The patients got tired of seeing the kids on my hip in the office

Who the heck do they think they are??

Old 09-03-2008, 10:40 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
What is better? Having a job that you love with manageable stresses but you don't take it home with you and the pay sucks ORRRR you have a job with fantastic pay but TONS of stress and you carry it all home with you everday and dread your job - only staying with it because of the pay. Which would you want IF you could choose?
I would chose less pay and manageable stress. I can budget if need be, but a super-stressful and/or intrusive job would cause issues in other areas of my life.

I've been laid off twice in the past 20 years from decent salaried positions, but both times I've ended up in new positions which were superior in many respects to the ones I had lost.

My "dream job" in many ways was the one I had for 10 years prior to 9/11 (senior programmer/analyst in flight ops for a major red-tailed airline where the software I wrote made an operational difference every day), but the one I have now is more interesting in many ways and pays considerably more. And it's also less stressful, and also a bit less vulnerable to economic downturns. I think.

The airline industry tended to flush a lot of people at roughly ten-year intervals, as I learned twice the hard way.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:35 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,618 times
Happy job with happy pay.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:40 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
Happy job with happy pay.
You're so modest and compromising!

Old 09-03-2008, 09:44 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
I'd rather live below my means and take the low paying happy job. That is the best way. Do it!

Old 09-04-2008, 11:13 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,644,236 times
I just thought I would throw that question out there. I like hearing everyones views. I explained to my fiance that it's better to have me happy than to be in a job where I'm completely miserable because it does come home with me (and it did back then) and it's hard to shut those emotions down after a long day.
So, he has a happier person now and less pay but hey, at the end of the day, people tell me I look great, healthy and happy so I guess I made a good choice.
I can't say thought that if a better paying job came along I wouldn't think about it. I think any of us would.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:30 AM

128 posts, read 355,077 times
sounds like you got all the right answers...but of course, let me add my experience...

i had a job that i liked, but felt like i'd gotten as far as i could go...made decent money and great benefits, was comfy...but then i got an offer for a job that was going to pay me - get this - $7.00/hr MORE than what i was making. took it in a heartbeat. thought it would be good for experience as well. HATED IT! after a year...i decided i'd look for something else. in desperation i took a job making just a few cents less than the FIRST job, good benefits, and its only a few blocks from my house. i love it. now i might get to stay home with my son, even better!!! LESSON: good pay isn't all its cracked up to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships