Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 08:09 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,218,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I never said I did. It is opinion vs. opinion. You have to face it that not all lesbians are Angels sent from heaven to do charity work for the world.
Ok, and perhaps you can face it that 'most' aren't horrible, angry people.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:14 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
The ones I have met are not horrible people. They are just selfish and conceited and have an attitude for no reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Ok, and perhaps you can face it that 'most' aren't horrible, angry people.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:15 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Are you female? Lesbians tend to alter their behavior and attitude when around women. They tend to be much less polite and kind around gay men or men in general, from the ones that I've know. Manipulative is what I call it.

You are lucky that you know nice lesbians! Good for you.
I couldn't have said it better myself. First of all, we are talking about clearly identifiable lesbians. Whether in the check-out line at Safeway or on the transportation system or in public offices, I have seen this brusque butch lesbian demeanor aimed at males fairly OFTEN. Yet, one witnesses far fewer men, regardless of their sexual preference, being rude to women.

Sorry, but I don't buy the argument of "you get what you give out" which one of the other earlier posts offered. The joke in my office was how often I was asked for directions (and not for a "pickup," either). One day it was THREE times....on the way to work, during my lunch hour, and on the way home. I would hardly be described as aloof or offputting. I think that, to a surly lesbian with an attitude, a clean-cut educated male in a suit is "the oppressor" and they project that attitude.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:34 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
And this quote is talking about ________ -- fill in the blank:
Heteros
Gays & Lesbians
Men
Women
Teenagers
20-Somethings
30-Somethings
40-Somethings
50-Somethings
60-Somethings
70-Somethings
Religionists
Non-Religionists
Rich
Poor
Middle Class
Educated
Uneducated
Famous
Unknown
Drivers
Passengers
Family
Neighbors
Strangers
Employees
Bosses

-- and so on. You're talking about people. Everyone's just people, who come in relaxed versions and "brittle" (great word!) versions and all the shades in between.

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who think there are two kinds of people in the world, and those who don't.
(Thank you, Keith Olbermann.)
You know, it seems that, whether on a relationships or a political or a religious forum, one can't make a post or start a thread that makes an inference about group behavior without being attacked. Well, what is it that social psychologists or sociologists or market researchers do? By and large, they study groups or clusters of people to make inferences about them. Once, I was moving out of an apartment complex and some girls (ladies, sorry) were moving in. I asked them what they were studying. They told me they were wrapping up doctorates in social psychology. I then told them how some people "get on my case" about stereotyping and they noted that, in many cases, stereotyped can be valid.

I met up with some European friends tonight and we talked about political correctness. We all agreed that the Europeans aren't as consumed with it and, in fact, they all stereotype their European neighbors. Here's what I've amassed over the years from numerous people and my own travels:

Italians = emotive and disorganized
Greeks = emotive and mercantile
Spaniards = laid-back and passionate
Portuguese = laid-back and melancholy (they lost an empire)
Germans = exacting and uptight
French = arrogant and self-regarding
Dutch = progressive and liberal
Scandinavians = progressive and sterile (not in terms of reproduction)
English = polite and eccentric
Irish = gregarious and salt-of-the-earth

I've heard these tossed around many times. I guess many people observe these general dispositions. They are NOT cast in stone, but they seem to be common. The quote about a segment of lesbians wanting to "pick a fight" is spot-on - they seem to be more combative than a group of drunken rednecks.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 09-17-2008 at 12:13 AM..

Old 09-17-2008, 05:12 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,218,986 times
Quote:
The ones I have met are not horrible people. They are just selfish and conceited and have an attitude for no reasons.
Really? All of them? Then I would say that it is definitely you that is the issue. You must be the kind if person who brings out the worst in people.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:37 PM

I'm gay and have been around the GLBT community for a while now. Gay men and lesbian women, from the ones I've met, have very distorted/unrealistic views on gender and sexuality issues.

Lesbians tend to equate masculinity with dramatic toughness, rudeness, lack of empathy, etc.

Gay men tend to equate being gay as being a wimp/loser and something to be ashamed of, so you see a ton of GAY men trying to overcompensate for what they see as a weakness and flaw. When all along they are only fooling themselves. That is why when you go to a gay bar you see a ton of gay men trying way too hard to look and act straight. You also see a bunch of drama.

In summary GLBT community is pretty messed up (in general). I am not talking every single individual.

I was always pretty happy with myself. I've made improvements through the years and have worked on accepting myself and loving myself as well as others. Do I see gay and lesbians doing that in the towns I've been in? No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I couldn't have said it better myself. First of all, we are talking about clearly identifiable lesbians. Whether in the check-out line at Safeway or on the transportation system or in public offices, I have seen this brusque butch lesbian demeanor aimed at males fairly OFTEN. Yet, one witnesses far fewer men, regardless of their sexual preference, being rude to women.

Sorry, but I don't buy the argument of "you get what you give out" which one of the other earlier posts offered. The joke in my office was how often I was asked for directions (and not for a "pickup," either). One day it was THREE times....on the way to work, during my lunch hour, and on the way home. I would hardly be described as aloof or offputting. I think that, to a surly lesbian with an attitude, a clean-cut educated male in a suit is "the oppressor" and they project that attitude.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:41 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,507,850 times
Didn't read the the thread... But yes a lot of lesbians are SUPER pissy on the other hand a lot of gays are SUPER jolly and friendly. It's weird.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:43 PM

lol that is cute how you said gay men are super jolly and friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
Didn't read the the thread... But yes a lot of lesbians are SUPER pissy on the other hand a lot of gays are SUPER jolly and friendly. It's weird.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:52 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,900,448 times
Sorry, haven't known too many angry lesbians....and yes I've known quite a few lesbians, due to having friends' moms or friends who were. Of course I am a woman, but the ones that I have known were the same with men.....but of course there are angry lesbians...I've seen some snotty, uptight,angry gay men...as well as straight people as well

But seriously, lets be politically correct here....should I start a thread about why there might be so many angry black women? I mean, I have witnessed many angry black women cutting in lines, cutting people off in vehicles, being rude and disrespectful to white people. But I don'y judge all of them and start threads about the "Angry Black Women". I find this thread very judgmental, derogatory and sexist.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:53 PM

We are talking about the ones we have met only, not every single lesbian ^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.