Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 12:03 AM

824 posts, read 2,792,865 times

Advertisements

The problem is that the people who can afford six children have none, and the people who can't afford any have six.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 12:21 AM

3,037 posts, read 5,932,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctc7 View Post
The problem is that the people who can afford six children have none, and the people who can't afford any have six.
In my opinion, only the second part of that statement is problematic.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:35 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,392,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctc7 View Post
And that we end up subsidizing the health care and possibly even the incarceration needs of these people as they are born and while they are growing up, respectively. The reality that most will turn into productive law-abiding citizens without major drama is kind of remote. Let's be real.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:50 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,644,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
So, you are stating that it was NOT you who sent the comment?
You know it wasn't me -- I thought you asked the moderator specifically who it was, and they will tell you. You must really have a low opinion of me to think I'd do something like that. I may be controversial, I may be upfront, I may even come across as arrogant, but do I come across as someone who would leave an anonymous comment?! I don't think so! You can tell from my personality that if I want to say something, I say it. I'm not a hit-and-run kind of guy.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:52 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,644,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
And that we end up subsidizing the health care and possibly even the incarceration needs of these people as they are born and while they are growing up, respectively. The reality that most will turn into productive law-abiding citizens without major drama is kind of remote. Let's be real.
Unfortunately, that's true. They've done a lot of those tests and found that *on average*, just a statistical average here nothing to get bent out of shape over, the higher the IQ, the fewer the children. Also, the more developed countries and people who are better off, socioeconomically, the fewer the children. Like Somalians, for instance, have 6.1 kids per woman, but in the U.S. I believe it's 2.1 among citizens. The replacement rate, by the way, is 2.1. It would be 2.0 in a perfect world, but because of deaths and infant mortality and things like that, each woman needs to have 2.1 kids roughly (obviously one woman can't have 2.1 kids, lol, but 10 women need to have 21 kids total) to replace the population and maintain it as it is. In some European countries it has dropped to as low as 1.5 I believe, specifically countries like Italy and France are not reproducing their population. A lot of those losses are made up by immigrants. The U.S. continues to grow from immigration, for instance.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:06 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,970,366 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, that's true. They've done a lot of those tests and found that *on average*, just a statistical average here nothing to get bent out of shape over, the higher the IQ, the fewer the children. Also, the more developed countries and people who are better off, socioeconomically, the fewer the children. Like Somalians, for instance, have 6.1 kids per woman, but in the U.S. I believe it's 2.1 among citizens. The replacement rate, by the way, is 2.1. It would be 2.0 in a perfect world, but because of deaths and infant mortality and things like that, each woman needs to have 2.1 kids roughly (obviously one woman can't have 2.1 kids, lol, but 10 women need to have 21 kids total) to replace the population and maintain it as it is. In some European countries it has dropped to as low as 1.5 I believe, specifically countries like Italy and France are not reproducing their population. A lot of those losses are made up by immigrants. The U.S. continues to grow from immigration, for instance.
Unless you are very financially well off, than you should not be having alot of children. Only a retard thinks it's a good idea to start a large family on a minimum wage salary for example. So I totally agree that poor women who give birth to lots of children have very low I.Q's.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:43 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,513,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Unfortunately, that's true. They've done a lot of those tests and found that *on average*, just a statistical average here nothing to get bent out of shape over, the higher the IQ, the fewer the children.
You know I have always had this theory that once society reaches our peak we restart. Hence the reason why the low IQ people usually have the most children. I mean come on we can't even figure out how the pyramids were built, what was the true meaning of stonehedge, and human civilization had cobble stone roads and other advancements ages before today's society. We had to relearn to how do must things. Sorry for going left field but just something I was thinking about when watching shows about ancient civilization

Back on topic...
Kids.. I find it kind of sickening that we reward the folks that breed like mad. Take welfare you can't even get it unless you pop out a couple I know a few struggling students who badly need it but were rejected. Those families who pop out 3 or more at time their faces are always plastered on TV and people always give them free things just because they have multiples.

Marriage.. Form of slavery point blank. People can sugar coat it all they want it has never been about love if you look up the true meaning and history of it. You do not need a ring or a part of someones assets in order to feel love.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:45 AM

12,973 posts, read 3,226,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Only a retard thinks it's a good idea to start a large family on a minimum wage salary for example. So I totally agree that poor women who give birth to lots of children have very low I.Q's.
I find this opinion is one that should be kept to yourself. I have an aunt and uncle who are very well off. When they started their family they had "nothing" Hard work pays off and people can have the family and sometimes those precious children are the motivating and driving factors to make more of ones life! The choice to have a large family has very little to do with IQ and more to do with what those miracles represent to their parents.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:49 AM

12,973 posts, read 3,226,260 times
MrsStewart...I sent you a rep and comment but it was in support of "us" not meant to be insulting. I hope that isn't the one that is troubling you....cause I am proud of our large families. Mine was the comment about the "egg carton"

Old 12-11-2008, 07:35 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,263,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
You know it wasn't me -- I thought you asked the moderator specifically who it was, and they will tell you. You must really have a low opinion of me to think I'd do something like that. I may be controversial, I may be upfront, I may even come across as arrogant, but do I come across as someone who would leave an anonymous comment?! I don't think so! You can tell from my personality that if I want to say something, I say it. I'm not a hit-and-run kind of guy.

Well, then thank you...the Admin now have a policy that they are unwilling to let us know who sent them but they know. When I first wrote one of the mods they said they would get back to me with the name and I wrote Admin in the mean time...the mods did tell me that "he" had an infraction imposed upon "him" for the offense.

Then I stand corrected and I apologize for assuming it was you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships