Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 11:01 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,649,695 times

Advertisements

Haha, that's cool. I will be proud of myself if I'm 40, no kids, not married. I know I will be, but I'll finally be able to have the "I told you so" mentality, to all of the people who think I'll change my mind, who obviously don't know me very well

My best friends know I won't change my mind. I think they leave the door open to some extent. I have this bad feeling, as great as my friends are, that someone will trap them into the whole marriage and kids bullcrap. At least my oldest friend, who is 35, has already lived a good life, he's had a lot of fun, and if he gets married it wouldn't be for years. So he did things the right way. But a few other friends, they share my attitudes, I am just not sure they share my conviction -- or should I say stubbornness I know what I want out of life and marriage and kids have nothing to do with those goals.

The best relationship in my opinion, the height of what it means to be able to trust and count on someone, is a great male-male friendship. Not in a gay way. That would probably be complicated, just like a girl-guy relationship. But when I look at my guy friends, I know these are the people who I've been friends with in some cases for 10-20 years and I'm only just turning 26! No girl is going to give me that. I can always count on these guys and we share so many common interests, it's a more valuable and greater bond to me than I could have with any girl, who is not going to share my interests nearly as much as any guy, especially because I like girly girls not tomboys, so I don't even want a girl to be like one of the guys. At least, not in some ways.

When people say this crap about being lonely when you're old, are they really that bad at making friends or are they that lousy of friends themselves?! I'm not lonely, I have a group of fantastic friends. I don't see them all of the time, but I know we can schedule week-long vacations to hang out just like old times, I know they're there when I want to say hello, and they will always be there. The same cannot be said for a girl. To me, girls are not a permanent fixture of life, they are a transitory thing. I want one girl for no more than a short term, at most maybe 5 years if she was amazing, and since I've never even had a one-year relationship yet I can't imagine five. But I don't want to wake up next to some old 60-year-old woman, christ, just shoot me! I want to sleep with beautiful young women my entire life, 18 to 45, no older, and 45 is pushing it, I'll take a 45-year-old when I'm like 85.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 02:18 PM

4,500 posts, read 2,846,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctc7 View Post
I'm male, almost 50, never married, no kids, not in a relationship, not really looking. I didn't plan it this way. I never said to myself, "I don't want to get married and I don't want kids." It's just the way it has turned out. Someone mentioned about being set in their ways. I guess I sort of feel that way now. But you never know...
Try to think about marriage now. Start with a good relationship .
You are in a good time.

I say the same thing to myself.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:51 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,649,695 times
More like try NOT to think about marriage, you've made it this far, no reason to screw things up now. Marriage is just a BAD deal, just say NO to that crap.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:04 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,405,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
Going on 47 - what Me? Ever get Married?? Children??? Are you kidding? Are you "out-ta" your cotton-picking mind?

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

I don't wanna get married because I don't want a divorce. Children = another annuity(ies) to pay an EX - No Thanks! Don't even ask how do I know that's going to happen with me either? If I had any luck I wouldn't know what to do with it as luck has been in very short supply in my life! It's a rough world out there and I don't want to add to the Divorce Industry stats already too inflated. STD's?, lets not even go there.

Annnnnnnnnd NO WISECRACKS from you out there!

You can say that I'm Married to my Singledom - it's safer and saner.
Rep point for you, sir! See the bolded parts. Ditto. I have (had) no problem with marriage. I do have a problem with the annuities part of the equation. Annuities are supposed to come in, not go out!

Old 12-08-2008, 10:15 AM

457 posts, read 1,281,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I find it strange when people hate children. I just don't get it. How can you hate children in general...??

Easy. When the majority of parents in our society spoil their kids and ignore the problems. I can't tell you how many people I know that are constantly getting calls from school or attending parent-teacher-principal conferences because their "perfect" kids are terrors. I have one co-worker who has an 9 year old that has already gone through an anger management course. Most kids are brats.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:18 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,270,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr1234 View Post
Easy. When the majority of parents in our society spoil their kids and ignore the problems. I can't tell you how many people I know that are constantly getting calls from school or attending parent-teacher-principal conferences because their "perfect" kids are terrors. I have one co-worker who has an 9 year old that has already gone through an anger management course. Most kids are brats.
Then you are hanging around the wrong people who are self indulgent themselves.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:16 PM

824 posts, read 2,793,967 times
Generally, I find kids quite charming. But I am reminded of what George Carlin said about today's parents--they are a bunch of diaper sniffers. I was reminded of this when a friend of mine firmly pressed the rear end of his 6-month-old into his face (the kid was clothed) and took a deep sniff. But 20 seconds later, he repeated this, and it seemed like he was really enjoying himself. "Diaper sniffer," I muttered under my breath. I'm not begrudging a parent this apparent pleasure. But don't think that your friends enjoy witnessing this.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:24 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,405,284 times
Quote:
I was reminded of this when a friend of mine firmly pressed the rear end of his 6-month-old into his face (the kid was clothed) and took a deep sniff. But 20 seconds later, he repeated this, and it seemed like he was really enjoying himself.
This person has a problem. I don't know many people who go to the dairy case at their local supermarket to smell Limburger cheese to get a "high."

Old 12-08-2008, 12:53 PM

824 posts, read 2,793,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
This person has a problem. I don't know many people who go to the dairy case at their local supermarket to smell Limburger cheese to get a "high."
Apparently, it's not the same. It's parents' little secret that they enjoy the smell of their infant's poop. I would agree that my friend carried it to far. Gross. I think this is getting off-topic, I really just wanted to make the point that just because I never marrried and don't have kids, that doesn't mean that I dislike them.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:56 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,234,998 times
Quote:
Generally, I find kids quite charming. But I am reminded of what George Carlin said about today's parents--they are a bunch of diaper sniffers. I was reminded of this when a friend of mine firmly pressed the rear end of his 6-month-old into his face (the kid was clothed) and took a deep sniff. But 20 seconds later, he repeated this, and it seemed like he was really enjoying himself. "Diaper sniffer," I muttered under my breath. I'm not begrudging a parent this apparent pleasure. But don't think that your friends enjoy witnessing this.
Nooooooo! I like the general smell of a clean baby (most people do, I think), but the rear end...?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships