Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 10:36 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,347,176 times

Advertisements

I ask myself this question from time to time (BTW, I am not seeking to do this). If something happened to my dh or we divorced for some reason, would I get married again?

I honestly don't know. I am totally open to being with someone without the "paper" but I don't think I could say NEVER to marriage again.

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 10:42 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,203,737 times
One really never knows what is to come huh......

that was my thought

Old 11-05-2009, 10:52 AM

748 posts, read 1,317,895 times
NEVER!!! been there, done that... I have no regrets, it was great while it lasted but that chapter in my life is over and done with...

Old 11-05-2009, 10:53 AM

14,228 posts, read 30,136,514 times
Maybe. Without the paper sounds good to me too.

I was married for way too long because of that piece of paper and the vows and legal mess it entails. A commitment of the heart sounds better. Staying together because you want to and not because you have to.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:54 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,710,266 times
I don't know. My DH is a great guy and I love our life, but if he were to die - I really don't know.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:57 AM

27,200 posts, read 46,780,369 times
I'd have to get divorced first.

I see nothing wrong with not bothering with marriage. Commitment to another person does not require a ring or document--except for legal purposes.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:04 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,560,519 times
If something happened and we either divorced or my husband passed away - that would be it. There are a lot of concessions to being married. I have absolutely no regrets. My life is full and rich because of my husband. Full and rich enough to last a lifetime.

Would I have married him all over again? Hell yeah.

Would I marry again after he's gone? Hell no. Once is enough!

Old 11-05-2009, 11:07 AM

7,004 posts, read 21,387,786 times
Would you get married again?

Probably...

NOT!!!!

Old 11-05-2009, 11:08 AM

5,076 posts, read 14,675,544 times
Funny that you ask. I was married to my kids father and we divorced, I'd never marry him again but, am now in a relationship going on four years and up until a couple of months ago we were engaged. I broke off the engagement for several reasons, the relationship has not changed and nothing was meant to change other than the marriage part of it.

A little background and my reasoning for my decision. He's never been married, I have. His mother and I get along very well, I really do like her. When he and I were about two years into our relationship, marriage did come up and he basically said that he doesn't believe in marriage, would be forever in a relationship but that marriage in and of itself was not something he believed in especially after seeing his parents go through their divorce while he was in college. (it was a nasty divorce).

About that time, his mother began hinting around at marriage and of course between the two of us we were scheming and imaging and planning and really I feel kind of pushed him towards getting engaged. I realize this. I realize it was selfish of me to force him into something for me and not really for him. We stayed engaged for two years but never could work out details of a wedding date, marriage plans, etc... it was always "well, I want to do this first, or I want to do that first" and finally, two things happened. Aside from realizing that marriage wasn't for him and wasn't what he wanted, I realized something too. I realized I didn't "need"to be married, didn't "want" to be married again and was perfectly okay just being in a relationship for however long. I mean historically, couples live like this all the time, the best example I can give, Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell - they never married but had children, and have been together forever. I don't believe you should get married just because it's what's expected by family, friends or society. If you want to be in a long term relationship, it can be succesful without the act of marriage.
So to answer the question, no - I will not get married again.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:33 AM

865 posts, read 2,438,141 times
Yes, if it was the RIGHT one this time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships