Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 12:57 PM

918 posts, read 1,643,974 times

Advertisements

So... how did it go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 09:35 AM

34 posts, read 43,373 times
Ok here's the update. It's quite long but I don't want to leave any details out.

She arrived at around 10am but I didn't realize it because I was playing the piano. She sat outside on the patio listening to me for 15 minutes before knocking. This was one of the things that got us together (my piano playing). The second she came in she was very nervous. I hugged her and she hugged me very hard and kissed me on the mouth. She then opened her eyes around the house and said "oh my god, this house looks amazing. It is so clean!". This was one thing she wanted help with. We walked around the house and she held my hand and walked into every room just saying holy cow, you did awesome. This house looks beautiful.

We decided to sit down in the living room on the floor. She was looking for a few of her movies. We sifted through and found them. All the while talking etc. She then told me that something is wrong with her and she doesn't know what it is. She said that she has been on her period since the day she left (3-4 weeks now). She says the stress is ripping her apart. I asked if she was ok and told her if I could do anything to help her please let me know. She said it's just the whole situation. I felt it upon myself to be the bigger person at this point and be sure to not play any games with her, besides she is the love of my life.

I told her look (while I put my hand on her leg). I want you to know that I realize you had to make this decision for yourself, and I respect that. I will not sit her attempting to change your mind or persuade you in a feeble attempt to manipulate everything. I said, I want us after today to not ever make mention of the past again. I want us to never hash out the past and relive anything that may be causing bitterness or anger. The decision you made doesn't change anything about how I feel about you. I realize that I wasn't there for you like you were for me. (there was no crying etc, just heart to heart letting her know so I can get on with this.)

We sat there for a while talking about stuff etc but nothing to pressing. She discussed some things as well so I felt it was appropriate to go with it and continue to let each other heal from it and let go of any aggressions. She was very calm and very caring this day. She was definitely happy to see me.

After a little while we went out to the shed and dug out the X-mas stuff so that we could give her the things that were hers. She also asked if she could have my little charlie brown tree which she made for me. It was a music tree and her thing with us was like Schroeder and Lucy in charlie brown. Her facination for my love of music and life is what brought us together. So I know the tree will remind her of me, and in truth since it's gone, it won't remind me of her which works out very well.

While we were out there she kept getting playful and being her old silly self with her cute kid voices etc. She stops and says, you are the only person that I am able to be this way with. I said nothing.

I had just bought us new fishing chairs (rivalry). Of her favorite college and mine. So we used to sit beside each other and harrass eachothers football team . She asked could she have it and at first I didn't say much of anything I just laughed. Then I said yea, you can take it. Because it again will remind her of me, and not be in my shed reminding me of her. We then put all the stuff from inside the house in the jeep as well. She was saying, this is so strange. I never thought I would ever leave this house.

She said she was getting very weak and wanted to go get lunch. I concured. She said she wanted to take my car because she loves my car. So off we went.

On the way we discussed some more and I again told her. I am sorry for not paying attention to some of the finer details such as planning fun things and little romantic nights at home etc. She said, I know, why can't you just take an idea i have and plan it yourself! Why can YOU go get pumpkins, plan it out, get scary movies, have crazy sex and watch them all night! That's a fun night to me. I said yea, that would rock. She then hit me with the, well now I am going to go carve them with someone else. I don't know about all that other stuff but I am definitely doing the pumpkin thing. I just thought ok, maybe I deserved that from all the chances I had and didn't do it. I am a real man, I can take it when I am wrong. It would have been very minimal effort to do those things, with enormous rewards. So be it. What's done is done.

That silenced it for a second but I didn't let it get to me. I was very confident and protected. As god was watching over me and keeping me in my shining light form and gave me strength the whole day. We pulled into taco bell and just before we entered, I stopped her at the door and looked her right in the face and said. I also want to tell you from the bottom of my heart, how deeply sorry I am that I never gave the same importance to your dreams, as we gave mine. I am deeply sorry that I didn't paint with you when we had the chances. It wasn't about whether I liked it or not, it was about sharing your dreams with you as you have mine. And I am deeply sorry for not giving you that same level of sharing on my slefishness. That was the most serious look she ever gave me in her life. I had totally released a lot of anger etc out of that moment. I watched it disappear. We hugged for a minute, then continued inside.

When we got inside, it was "automatic mode". She ordered hers, I ordered mine, the worker put out the cup, she went and filled it with "our" drink. I paid and we sat down. This time we sat across from one another instead of side by side which we never did. After a minute she says, oh my gosh, did you pay for this? I said yea. She said oh I am sorry I just went into habit mode. I said it's ok, and she said I will get you next time.

We began reminiscing about things and saying what we liked about stuff and what's important. She needed to hear me say she was beautiful etc because she kept saying to me, yea that I am beautiful and awesome and sexy and sweet etc etc. Point was, she truly does feel deep down from my lack of attention, that I don't love her that way. It broke my heart to hear her begging for that comfirmation. So I gave it to her. She deserved it and worked very hard for it. I don't care if this all seems weak and pushes her away from me. She needed to here the truth, not a mind game.

I got up to wash my hands and came back. As I approached she looked up and smiled at me, I sat down and looked at her and said, theres one more thing that's just as important as all of those things. The things about people that aren't perfect. She says yea, those are the best. I knew I didn't have to say it, but I was implying that I am not perfect. I was simply perfect to her for 7 years of her life. I am no longer perfect in her eyes.

We quickly finished eating and rushed to get home so she could be on her way to work and unpacking her stuff. I don't recall what we discussed on the way back at all. In fact, I don't even recall the drive. It has been erased already. I told her however at taco bell, remind me when we get home, I have something for you. When we got there I went inside for it. It was a very meaningful relic that a dear friend gave to me years ago to ensure my safety and well being. I brought it to her and told her the history of it and then said it's my gift to you. She thanked me so much then hugged me for about 3 minutes. She then said, you will do fine. Any CD's you make of you on the piano be sure to give me a copy. I then told her love her and wish her well. She said, I know you do. I kind of took hurt to that comment. She then told me we were friends and I said well, we are more then friends. She said well we aren't together anymore so it makes it more like friends. I said, ok then.

She drove away waving to me the whole time. I then went on a 5 mile walk to try to clear my thoughts. Of course it didn't work.

Today is a new day for me. I miss her dearly and the pain of losing her is not going to come in anything less then a brutal storm aimed at my heart and soul. I haven't decided if I should remain any type of friend to her or not yet. I am thinking that with the mention of another person entering her life at this point, plus the fact that she has mentioned the word "friend" that it is time for me to perhaps cut the tie with her. It will devastate me, but I don't know what else to do. How can I go from, I will always be there for you if you ever need me, to telling her I cannot just be friends. Because I don't want to end up being used as a crutch or training wheels while she builds her new life.

Lord, let the fact that I chose to be the bigger person affect not my character. Ease my heart and swiftly take me to the next chapter in my life. For this one seems to be closed. For now. Let me never forget the learnings from this.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:08 AM

Sounds like a hard day. I won't say that you did anything wrong... you followed your heart, and sometimes a person just does that, ya know?

I am sure you are confused by her, as I was quite confused just reading this. Kissed you on the lips upon walking in? Then later talking about carving with someone else? Seems like she doesn't really know what she thinks or feels at this point.

I think she appeared happy at the end because she obtained a level of closure, and found out that you loved her and being with her, which was a good boost to her own self-respect. Not saying she is cocky... everyone likes to have their ego fed at one point or another.

Obviously, considering how torn up you are compared to the last week, seeing her makes things worse, so being friends is going to be difficult. Seems you already have the answer, and although it is going to be very hard, in the long run it will work out for you.

Makes me scared to go out to "dinner" with my ex as she wants to... I don't wanna end up in the same place I was before.

It will be alright man, essentially we are going through this together.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:46 AM

Yea it was very easy during it. I was my old self. We played piano together etc. It was very nice but later in the last part of it, I felt myself losing control of myself. Feeling needy and clingy and wanting something more positive from this. I lost my appetite. She had to see it because I only ate a few bites then I was done.

Yea her convidence was very good when she left I am sure. That is why I can honestly say to myself, I did the right thing for letting her know the truth. However, now it is time that I protect myself from being used. I am going to just back out of the picture and let it go now. I haven't decided if I was going to call her and tell her on the phone that I think it's best that I don't talk to her for those reasons (the new guy etc plus it's not fair to me for her to come and get emotional support from me). Or if I just don't ever call her at all. I told her I would always be there if she needed anything, but I didn't say anything about I would call her anymore. However, maybe telling her I am backing out of her life will do some good.

Heck I don't know. I just don't want to drag this out or make things worse. you know? And yes brother, we are in this together lol! So you make sure you do the right thing too lol! Cuz it hurts like heck! Basically I am learning do what they are doing, do what's best for yourself, that is what she is doing to me.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:57 AM

Thanks man.

I wouldn't call yet, I would wait and see what you feel in a few days. Too much emotion right now to come to a definitive answer.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:11 PM

Actually I was thinking more in line of, waiting for her to call, then telling her when she calls me to help her. I just don't want to be friend tagged.

And lets NOT forget who made this decision, her. So I have every right to basically do anything I want at this point. However I am trying to take the "high road" and the mature one. Which seems in opposition of hers at the moment.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:15 PM

That's a better response. I wouldn't worry so much about the friend tag thing- you had a long relationship with her, so even if she thinks of you as a friend, it will never be the same way she thinks of her other friends.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:13 PM

So do you think that I should not even waste my time hitting her with the idea of giving me my own space now when she calls? Or do you think it's a good idea. I am just thinking that it might send a message that she is without me now. Which might be what it takes. But that's my "inside" view. What do you think? I wouldn't be an ahole, I just mean gently (gentle with firmness) that I need my space from her to get my own life in order now. And to basically not call me unless it's about the relationship etc.

This is tricky stuff. I am walking a delicate line right now. I am sure lots of people are. I know if I had a new fling, and the one I let go of after 7 years was still right there for me, it would make it that much easier to follow through with. I think that's probably true for most people. Since they have a security blanket feeling, a fall back.

And I love your comment about the friend thing. That's so true. That is how we all feel after super long relationships. It's never the same as a "friend" no matter what people try to say.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:08 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,703,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro2be;5673949[B
]So do you think that I should not even waste my time hitting her with the idea of giving me my own space now when she calls? [/b]Or do you think it's a good idea. I am just thinking that it might send a message that she is without me now. Which might be what it takes. But that's my "inside" view. What do you think? I wouldn't be an ahole, I just mean gently (gentle with firmness) that I need my space from her to get my own life in order now. And to basically not call me unless it's about the relationship etc.

This is tricky stuff. I am walking a delicate line right now. I am sure lots of people are. I know if I had a new fling, and the one I let go of after 7 years was still right there for me, it would make it that much easier to follow through with. I think that's probably true for most people. Since they have a security blanket feeling, a fall back.

And I love your comment about the friend thing. That's so true. That is how we all feel after super long relationships. It's never the same as a "friend" no matter what people try to say.
No, just save yourself from the heartache and just do NOT call, and if she calls, just ignore her calls. Don't let her think that she still has YOU by her own strings. When a female says that she wants to "continue to be friends" after a breakup, what she REALLY is saying, is that she still wants you by her side FOR CONVENIENCE (repairs, etc.). If she really is genuine towards YOUR feelings, she would have given you space altogether w/o you having to ask her for space.

Heck, you don't have to ask her for space. You should DEMAND it!

(This is coming from a woman, BTW).

Old 10-15-2008, 03:17 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,591,343 times
It's disappointing she sent so many mixed signals to you...I think you're right to steer clear of the "friend" thing, it sounds like she wasn't being very sensitive to your feelings at all, while you did nothing but consider hers. Kudos to you for taking the high road and not mind-gaming...you have great karma coming your way, just keep on your positive path and know you are one of the few genuine, kind-hearted souls who will inevitably teach others the value of these great qualites. Some lucky gal out there is going to treat you like gold one day...and you will know that the love you feel for each other is richly deserved and lasting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships