Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 03:13 PM

3 posts, read 8,082 times

Advertisements

I'm perplexed. For once, I've met a guy that's great and funny and cute and smart and has a great career. The only thing is, he's simply weird. (Or so I think.)

He's a salesman of sorts, and he just switched companies. So, for the past two months he's been traveling on and off for orientations, retreats, etc. When he's home, he makes time to see me and has never said "no" to my requests for dinners, etc. - but it's always ME asking for them now (compared to before, when we were dating, when it was always him making the plans.) When he's home, it's great.

My problem: When he's away, he doesn't call. He doesn't text. He doesn't do anything. He takes a day or so to unwind afterward, and then typically sends me a text. But, I usually call him on the day I know he's supposed to return to see how he is, because really, I missed him. And that's the only time I try to contact him - when I know he's home. That's it.

When he's home, he tells me he missed me. He tells me I make great dinners. He laughs with me and cuddles me. He's sweet and affectionate.

When he's away, he falls off the face of the earth. Right now it's Monday, about 5 p.m. The last time I talked to him was Friday at 7 a.m. when he left my place to go D.C. for work. No calls. No texts.

The last time this happened (two weeks ago), I asked him if he would call me more because I just want to know if everything is OK. I said, "I don't need an epic phone call... I just want to know." He thought that was cute, and said, "Yes, I'm sorry. I should have done that. I'm glad you said that - that's a good thing." He said he got wrapped up in meeting the new bosses and all that. I thought it was a positive step forward.

Until the next time it happened... which is now. I don't get it. Does anyone have any insight for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 03:17 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Maybe he has another lifestyle or person in his life

Old 10-21-2008, 03:20 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,652,381 times
This reminds me of that one movie with Goldie Hawn - um, "Deceived" - where her Husband has two lives, two families. . .

Old 10-21-2008, 03:22 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Maybe he has another lifestyle or person in his life
For once, I agree with artsyguy. I thought that'd never happen! Sounds super shady. Time for some sleuthing, I'd say. Of course, there is also the possibility that everything's kosher, and he's just not that into you, that he's in the relationship because it's convenient. Have you only been seeing each other for two months or has it been longer than that?

Old 10-21-2008, 03:26 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklingblues824 View Post
I'm perplexed. For once, I've met a guy that's great and funny and cute and smart and has a great career. The only thing is, he's simply weird. (Or so I think.)
You've just answered your own question.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
For once, I agree with artsyguy. I thought that'd never happen! Sounds super shady. Time for some sleuthing, I'd say. Of course, there is also the possibility that everything's kosher, and he's just not that into you, that he's in the relationship because it's convenient. Have you only been seeing each other for two months or has it been longer than that?
We met in May and made things exclusive in August - after HE starting calling me his girlfriend in front of other people at parties and gatherings. So, it's been almost six months now, which is why it's odd. I've never had any doubt that he liked me, but maybe I'm just naive?

Old 10-21-2008, 03:54 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Ummmmm yeah .... I don't think this guy is a salesman. I think he's a mob hitman and he can't really be on the phone talking to you or texting you while he's in the middle of dismembering a body so it will fit in trash bags. Simple, but sad fact of life. If you're in the middle of a murder you can't just drop everything to yap on the phone!

Old 10-21-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Ummmmm yeah .... I don't think this guy is a salesman. I think he's a mob hitman and he can't really be on the phone talking to you or texting you while he's in the middle of dismembering a body so it will fit in trash bags. Simple, but sad fact of life. If you're in the middle of a murder you can't just drop everything to yap on the phone!
As amazingly disturbing as that would be, that would actually be a relief - take some weight off my "I'm too much of a chick, why doesn't he like me?" shoulders.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:33 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklingblues824 View Post
As amazingly disturbing as that would be, that would actually be a relief - take some weight off my "I'm too much of a chick, why doesn't he like me?" shoulders.
Yeah, I hear ya. Just be thankful he's not out killing people you know!

Old 10-21-2008, 05:04 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
It sounds like he's got something else going on. Someone else.

If that's not the case, do you really want to be in a relationship where communication is cut off every time he's out out of sight? Doesn't sound like a happy existence to me.

Start shopping for someone new. If things don't pan out with Mr. Mysterious, you'll already have Mr. Plan B lined up to distract you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships