Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 06:18 PM

52,387 posts, read 52,853,492 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I was wondering what how people felt about breaking up with someone. I was thinking about this time I was seeing the person for a few months and we got alone OK, but there just wasn't that spark, you know what I mean. I would hang out with her and things were OK, we'd do things together but it just kinda so so.

After a while she sat me down and gave me the "break up" speech. I politely agreed that we shouldn't see each other any more blah blah blah. I was totally relieved when I drove home and didn't really have any "depression" about it at all. I guess I knew that we weren't really going anywhere, but I didn't have the stones to break up with her.

So my question is does that happen to you, do you have any reservation about doing the break up "talk" or do you wait for the other person to do it???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 06:24 PM

926 posts, read 2,750,817 times
I do it in letters lol. I write a letter explain how great they are, how much I appreciate their friendship and like them but we should be friends. I stand there while they read it too lol. Only once did I slide it under his door at his apartment lol.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:49 PM

918 posts, read 1,645,592 times
Once I started celebrating in the car for no apparent reason... then the girl next to me looked at me like I was crazy, and said whats up... I said "I just realized... I have NO feelings for you at all! Get out of my car!".

I was thrilled because I thought I loved her, and realized that I didn't and was free.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:20 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,237,406 times
I do it. I tell them face to face or over the phone and I keep it as short as possible.
I do it because I want to make sure that its done well. There is no confusion.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:30 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,677,909 times
It is always better to be the Dumper than the Dumpee!

Old 10-30-2008, 09:25 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,656,122 times
Yeah, I agree with Blondie. I have never been dumped before, I've always done the dumping. There was one time where I think I almost got dumped, but I'm clever enough with words that I was able to turn things back around, it was impressive and strange. She called me and started complaining about everything, saying I was selfish, didn't do this, didn't do that, etc. I reminded her of three really nice things I had done for her in just the last week, and started turning it around to, "You know what, I really don't think I want to be with a girl who doesn't appreciate anything, you're the one who is being selfish lately," blah blah etc. Pretty soon I had HER apologizing, even though I'm almost positive she called to break up with me. That would have been for the best, but since I thought I was getting dumped anyway I started noting all of the things about her that I found annoying and that she had done wrong, and somehow although I got called to be dumped probably, I ended up dumping her instead. She called 5 days later and begged to be taken back, said she'd try harder, blah blah etc. I stupidly said ok (it was my first real girlfriend back in the day), and it lasted another 4-5 weeks before I dumped her for real that time.

I would prefer to be the one always doing the dumping, and so far it's true because they always care about me more than I care about them. It's awkward to an extent because I really don't like making people feel bad, I have trouble saying no sometimes, I am a pretty nice guy in person, but you have to do it because it's meaner to string someone along really.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:36 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,940,620 times
Yes, usually after I bury the body.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:52 PM

52,387 posts, read 52,853,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
Yes, usually after I bury the body.
I'v always liked the wolfs responses.

LOL

Old 10-31-2008, 08:06 AM

656 posts, read 2,745,597 times
Never had the chance to be the dumpee
Sad to say I have always been the one dumped

Old 10-31-2008, 08:29 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,509,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Yeah, I agree with Blondie. I have never been dumped before, I've always done the dumping. There was one time where I think I almost got dumped, but I'm clever enough with words that I was able to turn things back around, it was impressive and strange. She called me and started complaining about everything, saying I was selfish, didn't do this, didn't do that, etc. I reminded her of three really nice things I had done for her in just the last week, and started turning it around to, "You know what, I really don't think I want to be with a girl who doesn't appreciate anything, you're the one who is being selfish lately," blah blah etc. Pretty soon I had HER apologizing, even though I'm almost positive she called to break up with me. That would have been for the best, but since I thought I was getting dumped anyway I started noting all of the things about her that I found annoying and that she had done wrong, and somehow although I got called to be dumped probably, I ended up dumping her instead. She called 5 days later and begged to be taken back, said she'd try harder, blah blah etc. I stupidly said ok (it was my first real girlfriend back in the day), and it lasted another 4-5 weeks before I dumped her for real that time.

I would prefer to be the one always doing the dumping, and so far it's true because they always care about me more than I care about them. It's awkward to an extent because I really don't like making people feel bad, I have trouble saying no sometimes, I am a pretty nice guy in person, but you have to do it because it's meaner to string someone along really.
You are a true gentleman Jonathan! What a man! I hope I can be just like you when i grow up. Geesh! Whats wrong? Dont have the the cohones to take it like a real man? Have to make the lady feel like crap to protect your ego? What a man!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships