Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 06:12 AM

36 posts, read 63,076 times

Advertisements

The Ladder Theory

What's your take on it? For my life, I find it to be startlingly accurate.

And btw, From the authors standpoint of the site, it was made to look "Goofy and funny" to alleviate tension of the viewers reading it. In the essence: You make something look like a joke so the bearing of it's bad news isn't so harsh on the reader.

But. . . I've polled many MANY people on Ladder Theory over the years and I've found more people who AGREE with it 100%, like I do, as opposed to people who do not.

Discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 07:18 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
I'll have to be one that disagrees. I'm not saying this isn't the case for most, it's just not the case for my husband and me.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:41 AM

943 posts, read 2,281,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin-msm View Post
The Ladder Theory

What's your take on it? For my life, I find it to be startlingly accurate.

And btw, From the authors standpoint of the site, it was made to look "Goofy and funny" to alleviate tension of the viewers reading it. In the essence: You make something look like a joke so the bearing of it's bad news isn't so harsh on the reader.

But. . . I've polled many MANY people on Ladder Theory over the years and I've found more people who AGREE with it 100%, like I do, as opposed to people who do not.

Discuss.
Does EVERYTHING have to be ABOUT SEX?

I dont buy this thing that male and females cant have platonic friendships with sex looming in the background.

Also the ladder theory is kind of sterotypical, like all males are horndogs,and women are all looking at paychecks.

I have had many male friends where it was platonic.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:55 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,896 times
I don't agree with the ladder theory. Many of my friends are men, and there certainly isn't any sex involved. Somehow I think my DH would object

I also disagree with the stereotyping of both genders. Not all men are 100% sex focused 100% of the time; and I really know very few women who care about the size of the paycheck. It's 2009. We earn our own money, thank you very much.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:58 AM

Even if attraction is a component of a friendship, it's not all-encomassing for all people. Many of my male friends are attractive and one of my bestfriends is an ex. We decided a long time ago that our relationship/friendship, what we brought to eachothers lives, was way more important than physicallity. He was my man of honor, as opposed to matron of honor, at my wedding.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:12 AM

36 posts, read 63,076 times
Interesting how all the replies so far are women. . . and in Ladder Theory it already points out this opposition and the excuses women list.

And yes, they're excuses. . .cause without actual proof, it's merely your uneducated opinion.

But I'm not attacking. . . Just pointing that out. . . weather you agree or not. :-p

Last edited by Justin-msm; 05-13-2009 at 09:01 AM..

Old 05-13-2009, 08:23 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,874,059 times
I'd say it's true for 75% of them out there. Particularly for anyone you meet in a bar. It's all just a game and once a girl knows the ropes, she can really start screwing guys over.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin-msm View Post
Interesting how all the replies so far are women. . . and in Ladder Theory it already points out this opposition and the excuses women list.

And yes, they're excuses. . .cause without actual proof, it's merely your uneducated opinion.

But I'm not attacking. . . Just point that out. . . weather you agree or not. :-p
We're offering our experience. I'm certainly not speaking for all women or most women, just me. I did not marry my husband for his money, since he didn't have any. The only requirement I had was that he be educated. Again, not so he can make money, as I bring in enough to support our household, but because I want my future children raised by educated parents.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:15 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
I'd say there is a fair amount of truth to it.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:37 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
It is blocked at my workplace, but I read this a long time ago.

If I remember correctly, it is very cynical, but it is pretty accurate in describing the harsh reality of human relationships, particularly for someone who is young.

Much of it depends on your interpretation. If you want to take it literally, it is not hard to discredit.

Last edited by le roi; 05-13-2009 at 09:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships