Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 05:49 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times

Advertisements

I work with the elderly, and at times I will ask them how long they have been married, and what advice they can give, to make a marriage work.
One lady told me,"To keep your mouth shut!" LOL...
The lady I took care of today, and her husband has been married for 65 years!
Thats awesome. I ask her, what advice can you give... They both said, to "never nag, *****, or complain at each other. If you have a problem, talk about it." She said that he used to help her with the inside work, and she would help him work outside." They seemed so good together.
We sure don`t see that much nowdays...with the long marriages.
I will take whatever advice I can get from the elders!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 05:58 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Gosh, I guess I'm an "Elder"!

My advice would be to listen to the real elders (the successful, happy ones, that is. ) because they've got more experience on the planet than we do. Never dis good advice - that's my advice and I'm sticking to it.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:00 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
marriage (and divorce) is working for a lot of people. marry divorce remarry divorce, for women this works great $$$$. guys need to see a lawyer b4 the marriage not after. having said that. stop disrespecting the man. too many women are interested in asserting their rights not about making the marriage work.
many think freedom is something you get by taking it from somebody else typically her from him.
our offices, police department military work great. our homes work lousy.
the difference----respect for authority. respect for authority is not earned, it comes with the job.
head of household is not respected in america trashes the marriage and poisons the kids. in mexico this would never be tolerated. they got problems but not this one. american style marriage is not working. supporting stats. 56% failure rate of marriage 75% filed by women. 42 million divorces since 1975. primary contributing laws 1974 anti credit discrimination act and 1975 (cerca) no fault divorce law.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:30 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
marriage (and divorce) is working for a lot of people. marry divorce remarry divorce, for women this works great $$$$. guys need to see a lawyer b4 the marriage not after. having said that. stop disrespecting the man. too many women are interested in asserting their rights not about making the marriage work.
many think freedom is something you get by taking it from somebody else typically her from him.
our offices, police department military work great. our homes work lousy.
the difference----respect for authority. respect for authority is not earned, it comes with the job.
head of household is not respected in america trashes the marriage and poisons the kids. in mexico this would never be tolerated. they got problems but not this one. american style marriage is not working. supporting stats. 56% failure rate of marriage 75% filed by women. 42 million divorces since 1975. primary contributing laws 1974 anti credit discrimination act and 1975 (cerca) no fault divorce law.
Am I in the Twilight Zone, or have I seen this sexist post somewhere else???

Old 11-14-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
twilight zone is a strong word however, my opinion was solicted by the OP. like i was saying, respect (and perhaps lack of boundaries) is the root issue.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 11-14-2008 at 06:45 PM..

Old 11-14-2008, 06:44 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times
It makes me stop and think.....man. This couple has been together, for 65 years! 65! Good God! Thats amazing! I mean, it makes me stop and just say,"Wow!" They have been through so much in their life.
She is taking care of him, or he is taking care of her now. Sigh....
To me, its wonderful.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:51 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,341,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I think I've seen almost the exact same post in lots of other threads. I guess the same made-up statistics are the answer to all questions. I searched on Google and the general consensus seems to be that about 2/3 of divorces are filed by women, not 3/4. Heck why would a guy file for divorce if he's the one cheating, and still getting "it" at home as well as someone to do his laundry and cook his dinners?

I know that if my ex-fiance would have married me, I would have fought like hell to make the marriage work. He was the one who bailed, not me, and I lost just as much money as he did in the relationship.

My grandparents were married for 46 years and 59 years. I know with one set of grandparents, they just genuinely seemed to enjoy each others company, they were best friends. With the other set, I know they had problems through the years but they were committed to making it work, divorce just wasn't an option. My grandfathers were both devastated beyond words when my grandmothers died. They all had the kind of love I'm still hoping to find someday.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:54 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,341,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
It makes me stop and think.....man. This couple has been together, for 65 years! 65! Good God! Thats amazing! I mean, it makes me stop and just say,"Wow!" They have been through so much in their life.
She is taking care of him, or he is taking care of her now. Sigh....
To me, its wonderful.
I agree. I'd love to find someone I can love, and who would love me for 65 years. Then again, I'd be 105 years old which might not be such a good thing.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
I think I've seen almost the exact same post in lots of other threads. I guess the same made-up statistics are the answer to all questions. I searched on Google and the general consensus seems to be that about 2/3 of divorces are filed by women, not 3/4. Heck why would a guy file for divorce if he's the one cheating, and still getting "it" at home as well as someone to do his laundry and cook his dinners?

I know that if my ex-fiance would have married me, I would have fought like hell to make the marriage work. He was the one who bailed, not me, and I lost just as much money as he did in the relationship.

My grandparents were married for 46 years and 59 years. I know with one set of grandparents, they just genuinely seemed to enjoy each others company, they were best friends. With the other set, I know they had problems through the years but they were committed to making it work, divorce just wasn't an option. My grandfathers were both devastated beyond words when my grandmothers died. They all had the kind of love I'm still hoping to find someday.
happy to provide links on anything i have said. google searches can vary and so can stats sources. 2/3 or 3/4 this variation makes the post invalid???? considering your own stat quote i dont think i am making wild accusations. please, calling someone out on CDF without the courtesy of allowing them to provide sources is rude.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:09 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
My grandparents were 60 plus years. They lived through a lot. The dirty 30s, the loss of a 17 year old son and other hard times. They thrived and made it.

My folks have been married for 53 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships