Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 08:11 PM

6,346 posts, read 11,136,243 times

Advertisements

I never thought I would need to post anything in this forum but I guess I was wrong. Here's the situation.

I moved to the Kansas City area about 3 years ago with the sole intent of working and waiting on a business partner in a nearby state to uproot he and his family to the place that we're to relocate and start a business. Thanks to a number of issues that entire plan is fouled up and I may have to relocate to start the business myself OR, I may wind up doing it in this area. I never intended to get too involved with anyone here and I did not plan to date because at some point I'd be moving to another region.

I have a job that requires interaction with customers on a daily basis in Kansas City. I try to be cordial and friendly when dealing with my customers and often times I will engage in some chit chat with a few of them. Apparently some of the women seem to think I am hitting on them because I've had more than one tell me that they don't want to go out with me. This has also happened here when shopping in some of the local stores. Now since I generally keep the conversation light and always steer clear of topics that might be taken the wrong way, I am very confused.

I've never experienced this before. I've lived in ten different states and this is the first time it has happened. I've never seen female customers in any other state react like this before and it puzzles me as to why they think if a guy is simply being friendly that he's hitting on them. The amusing aspect of this is that the women that are rejecting me are not even women that I'd consider dating. Fortunately, the two or so women that do interest me and I might actually see if I stay in this area, have not reacted like this.

Oddly enough, I had been given advance warnings by more than a dozen people in my home state of Connecticut as well as a few others in other areas of the country that the people in the Kansas City area have "issues". I certainly believe this to be true especially where the women are concerned. They certainly do flatter themselves.

Can anyone please explain this illogical behavior to me? I'm beginning to think these women are bona fide mental cases and need psychological help. They see things that simply don't exist in reality.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 08:15 PM

25,157 posts, read 54,026,798 times
Run for the hills man. I've been in a few nutty cities myself where it was "normal" for people to be off beat and make stuff up.

I'm happier now that I'm around real normal people.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:49 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,287,443 times
Well, first of all, why did you think you would never post here?? We are the coolest on the entire forum!!

Second of all, welcome.

Third of all, it sounds like you are just meeting the wrong people. An entire city/region cannot be bad...

Old 11-19-2008, 08:50 PM

25,157 posts, read 54,026,798 times
Maybe he is meeting carnival folk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Well, first of all, why did you think you would never post here?? We are the coolest on the entire forum!!

Second of all, welcome.

Third of all, it sounds like you are just meeting the wrong people. An entire city/region cannot be bad...

Old 11-19-2008, 08:55 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,752,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post

I have a job that requires interaction with customers on a daily basis in Kansas City. I try to be cordial and friendly when dealing with my customers and often times I will engage in some chit chat with a few of them. Apparently some of the women seem to think I am hitting on them because I've had more than one tell me that they don't want to go out with me.

Your thoughts?

Make them happy. Don't go out with them.

Problem solved.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:59 PM

Thank you for the welcome.

The thing is I am not really even trying to meet anyone, at least not for any kind of relationship outside of work. That would change of course if I do decide to stay in this area. I have very little in common with these people because I come from a very different social stratus and cultural background. In short, we're on different planets.

Moving would be the most prudent move I could make but with the economy in the tank, I may very well be stuck here for a few years.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Make them happy. Don't go out with them.

Problem solved.
I agree. I've even resorted to keeping my conversation with one of the offenders to very little outside of "hello" and "thank you".

Old 11-19-2008, 09:05 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,428,043 times
Quote:
I've had more than one tell me that they don't want to go out with me
How does one state they don't want to go out with you when you've never even asked the question?

What kind of conversations are you having with these women? (I'm not blaming, just asking what you typically discuss with these women.)

Old 11-19-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
How does one state they don't want to go out with you when you've never even asked the question?

What kind of conversations are you having with these women? (I'm not blaming, just asking what you typically discuss with these women.)
Exactly! I've never even asked them out and yet they tell me they don't want to go out.

Apparently, from what I understand, if you simply talk to them they honestly believe you are hitting on them. A former co worker (originally from Tennessee) and I one day had a conversation with a married women that also worked with our company. She said that she and her friends believe a guy is coming onto them if he says anything more than hello. I don't ever bring up a subject like what kind of bed they have, or where should we go to dinner etc. Mostly I just talk about work or ask them how they are today or that I am looking forward to having some time off to visit family and friends because I work seven days a week.

More sophisticated women can probably more easily determine by the nature of the conversation whether or not a guy is coming onto them. These people are not exactly the brightest bulbs in the chandelier and I guess that is why they react the way they do. I'm not accustomed to dealing with cretins...

Old 11-19-2008, 09:13 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,897,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post

I'm wondering the same thing???

Is he somehow sending out creepy vibes without realizing it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships