Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 09:02 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,605,869 times

Advertisements

Don't you have any girl friends you can go out with ?
Thats how my single friends get dates when we all go out together on our weekly night out.
You don't have to drink to go out when I am driving I stick to sprite !!! I know sounds boring but you really don't have to drink to have a good time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 09:05 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,034,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millie61 View Post
Don't you have any girl friends you can go out with ?
Thats how my single friends get dates when we all go out together on our weekly night out.
You don't have to drink to go out when I am driving I stick to sprite !!! I know sounds boring but you really don't have to drink to have a good time.
it doesn't sound boring, it sounds intelligent.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
it doesn't sound boring, it sounds intelligent.
Thanks - have seen too many lives lost through stupid people who drink and drive

Old 11-20-2008, 09:08 AM

926 posts, read 2,748,074 times
I'd be careful of craigslist, many men on there just want sex. match.com is a ripoff because if the person you are interested in does not have a subscription you STILL cant talk to him, even if you have a subscription! Try volunteering. I am a tour guide at a museum in cincinnati and I meet so many people. I also am active in my church too. Hang out in Borders, I get picked up alot in there too lol. Just go where you like to be and do what you liek to do and you should see like minded people good luck!

Old 11-20-2008, 09:10 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
So since we are both here, we must be both geeks, right? Hey, I have to admit, I AM a semi-geek. I'm a systems analyst, so no way around it. So why is that a bad thing...huh huh huh??? Splain, Lucy.

I was in a bar last night...on a date. Yeah I drink, but not much. I'm a regular gym goer too...but certainly not compulsive.

People are everywhere...just keep your eyes open.
I think my wife likes geeks. Geeky people are "in" right now. Enjoy it while it lasts. Din't say twas a bad thing, just a thing that is. If you like geeky people, online is a good place to look. You probably do not find a lot of social butterflies online. For the same reason gars and gyms might not be so go a place to look for geekey people or outdoor enthusiasts. Likewise,if you like people who are into health and fitness you are more likely to find them at a gym and not as likely to find them at a bar. Yes health afficinadoes go to bars, but not that often, they go to the gym more often. So the odds of them being there when you happen to go are small. People who go to bars regularly are more likely to be heavy drinkers/partiers. If you want soemone who is into clubbing, don't join the Sierra club to find them. If you do not like geeks, do not look at the Star trek convention for a potnetial spouse. However be aware that gyms are full of health nuts, bars are full of drunks, Churches are full of religous "nuts" (that would include me), Sierra Club is full of outdoorsy types, the ethernet is full of geeks. The odds of someone you meet falling into a particular category depends on where you look. If you are really into Sailboating, do nto go to a four wheel drive group hoping to meet a sailor. If you want a rich guy, do nto go to cheap bars or gyms, join expensive ones.

At 40 I do not know how you find someone single who is not broken from a prior marriage, socially challenged for one reason or another, a recovering alcoholic, or someone who just never grew up (aging frat boys. I do not some single guys in their 40s who are really terrific people but all of them are divorced, recovering alcoholics, incapable of living in a relationship or a combination of these. It will be difficult, but not impossible. Maybe divorced guys are not out of the question, but I have heard lots of people say that divorced people come with "baggage" (whatever that means). Statistically somone who has been divorced once is far more likley to get divorced again (but statistics do not always mean a while lot). Some poeple just are not interested in anyone who has been divorced.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:13 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Volunteer at a soup kitchen. I have met a lot of really nice people working at a soup kitchen. (Workers, not clients - although you may meet the perfect homelss guy as well).

One thing that I can tell you from watching a couple dozen friends marry successfully or unsuccessfully, do not connect with some guy that has a problem that is unacceptable and think that you can change him. Too many women do that and it never works.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
So since we are both here, we must be both geeks, right? Hey, I have to admit, I AM a semi-geek. I'm a systems analyst, so no way around it. So why is that a bad thing...huh huh huh??? Splain, Lucy.

I was in a bar last night...on a date. Yeah I drink, but not much. I'm a regular gym goer too...but certainly not compulsive.

People are everywhere...just keep your eyes open.
No you can't be a geek !! my Husband is a systems analyst and he definately is not a geek

Old 11-20-2008, 09:20 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I've finally decided that I want to meet the man of my dreams. I spend most of my time alone indoors so I need to change that. I need to put myself places where he can find me, so how do I do that? These are some ideas I have. (by the way, i'm mid-40s)

Wardrobe. I've been shopping a LOT and I think I have plenty of date clothes. I'll keep shopping, though, just in case.

Weight. I've been on a diet. I have a few more pounds to lose, but overall I'm slender.

Hair. Got a nice cut and color. I'm in good shape there.

Gym. I am sadly out of shape. I think I need to join a gym to start lifting weights and working on my body. Also a place where I am exposed to more people.

Activity Groups. I'm on meetup.com and I've selected several stupid activities in the area, which I will force myself to go to.

Bars. I'm not much of a drinker, but there is a local bar that looks like fun. I might go there alone this weekend to order fries and a soda. At least I'm getting out there, right?

Match.com. I hate match.com. I think it's a big rip off, but maybe I should join?

Craigslist. I've put some ads on craigslist, but so far only really annoying people have responded. I specifically requested "no naked photos" in my add and this seems to be working.

By the way, I'm "old-fashioned" so no hanky-panky until I get a ring. I'm very serious about this. This is a race against time. If they are not serious about me, move out of the way for the one who is.

Any thoughts? Ideas? Support? Encouragement?

Thanks,

Woofers
Ok, are you religious at all? Consider church singles.
Sorry but by the mid 40's a lot of otherwise nice guys might be a bit wary of the no sex \ no ring thing....you may be better off meeting guys out of a church environment if this is the case.

Me personally, I'd like to know PRIOR to committing to marriage that I am sexually compatible with someone I'm enlisting for the next 40+ years of my life. Relative to the scale of commitment, I don't find that too much to ask for in a long-term committed relationship between two adults that have most likely already had sex thousands of times in their life.

I have a checklist of things I need to find out before there is a ring....that is one of them....hmmm...this deserves it's own thread.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:35 AM

524 posts, read 942,356 times
You took the first step right here on City-Data!

Put some pictures and an album on your profile so that those of us who are interested can "window shop" so to speak.

Be patient!

It doesn't hurt praying to God and telling him what you want. Be very specific though... because you will get exactly what you ask for. (No more and no less... exactly what you asked for)

A good while back I was fed up with women. I prayed from the deepest reaches of my soul for a woman to "seek me out" that has these qualities... and I went through all of the qualities that I most desired. A few months later a woman tracked me down through a mutual friend and hooked up with me. We dated for five years and then got married... we've been married for 16 years now.

I got every single thing I asked for... but nothing extra. Be very specific! Pray from your soul and not just your desires! You will be surprised at the results... I was. I am not a very religious person but this was too exact to be a coincidence!

Old 11-20-2008, 10:17 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
That's an incredible figure, if true, because most respectable places of business frown upon co-workers dating.
Agreed. I'd never EVER date where I work. No way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships