Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 11:59 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,182,116 times

Advertisements

That's very good and over looked point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I know of people who were asked to sign a prenup because their SO was part of a family business or had a business that had a partner(s). It wasn't necessarily about protecting one person's assets, but protecting others' investments & assets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 01:21 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I think you're completely wrong about that. That's not true at all! A pre-nup is to make sure that my assets before marriage remain mine, and that the money my assets accrue during marriage remains mine.

It's only fair that whatever is mine is mine.
Yeah, you were arguing with an attorney, what do you expect?

Agreed. The insurance analogy is a good one. I didn't follow the McCartney/Mills problem, but they're all just nasty...and they award way more than a person needs to have a nice lifestyle. If the tables were turned, I'd sign theirs, too, if they had a lot of assets. It just means I would be out on my own as far as money goes, as it should be for a degreed professional.

In fact, you'd especially want a pre=nup if you married an attorney. In the first place, you probably shouldn't marry an attorney. When I asked a couple of my friends who went in law school in CA if there were any chicks (that's how guys talk, especially in their 20s) in law school they'd be interested in, they gave me the "you've gotta be kidding" response. Three arduous years of day-in, day-out arguing, researching, supporting, defending and even manipulating concepts and facts. And you want that in the sack and at your dinner table?

Pre-nup, baby, pre-nup.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:37 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,633,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Yeah, you were arguing with an attorney, what do you expect?

Agreed. The insurance analogy is a good one. I didn't follow the McCartney/Mills problem, but they're all just nasty...and they award way more than a person needs to have a nice lifestyle. If the tables were turned, I'd sign theirs, too, if they had a lot of assets. It just means I would be out on my own as far as money goes, as it should be for a degreed professional.

In fact, you'd especially want a pre=nup if you married an attorney. In the first place, you probably shouldn't marry an attorney. When I asked a couple of my friends who went in law school in CA if there were any chicks (that's how guys talk, especially in their 20s) in law school they'd be interested in, they gave me the "you've gotta be kidding" response. Three arduous years of day-in, day-out arguing, researching, supporting, defending and even manipulating concepts and facts. And you want that in the sack and at your dinner table?

Pre-nup, baby, pre-nup.
Haha, wow, I never thought about that. I have a friend, the first girl I had a crush on when I was 7 or something, so I've known her for a long time, she is in law school now. Yeah I can't imagine the arguments we'd have, god, philosophy degree versus lawyer. Let's just say it would be some bitter battles.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:40 PM

111 posts, read 286,216 times
yes, when you marry you share everything. As traditional as it sounds thats how its suppose to be. If you are already considering how to protect your assets from the get go then you arent fully committing to the relationship. If you both want it I guess thats a different story.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:09 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Maybe we should ask Paul McCartney if he should have had Heather Mills sign a pre-nup...
Yeah, there are certain "risk factors" such as marrying someone MUCH younger and pretty when you are worth GOBS of cash.

Here is the irony...if I were 50-60 and dating my current gf....I would have to wonder about her motivations in that regard. As it stands...I'm younger than her and frankly, after 3-4 months in the gym she seems vastly more interested in things other than my wallet...

Old 11-22-2008, 05:10 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texgrl View Post
If you are already considering how to protect your assets from the get go then you arent fully committing to the relationship.
Selectively quoting part of what you wrote...ok, so with the 50+% divorce rate, you're saying people should also commit to sharing stuff with the other party that they didn't bring to the marriage and rightfully does not belong to them?

Old 11-22-2008, 05:13 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Haha, wow, I never thought about that. I have a friend, the first girl I had a crush on when I was 7 or something, so I've known her for a long time, she is in law school now. Yeah I can't imagine the arguments we'd have, god, philosophy degree versus lawyer. Let's just say it would be some bitter battles.
When arguing a lawyer that you are dating....follow this simple rule. Loser gets to choose positions. You are arguing with a woman AND a lawyer....odds are you are doomed so might as well go down smiling. (poor choice of words? ) Then again, you might get some cheap victories as she might throw the match.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:20 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,633,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Selectively quoting part of what you wrote...ok, so with the 50+% divorce rate, you're saying people should also commit to sharing stuff with the other party that they didn't bring to the marriage and rightfully does not belong to them?
That sounds like girl logic if I've ever heard it.

Protecting your assets isn't a matter of not committing, it's just good sense, it's a matter of not being a moron.

Mathguy -- I like that idea, lol.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:38 PM

926 posts, read 2,747,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Let's say you become involved with someone that has signifigant financial assets. Not a whole lot, be enough to where they have no financial worries or concerns.

They had their assts before you became involved. They want to protect their assets and ensure that they are not wiped out in the event of a divorce.

Would you be offended if your spouse asked you to sign a pre-nup?

Edit: One person has assets and the other does not.

PS: Notice I did not say he/she. It could be either or doing the asking. The gender is not important.
I wouldnt be offended- Id do a reverse prenup and say if he divorces me or cheats on me then I get half of everything lol. I wouldnt ask for one though even with my net worth because Im in it for life and if I marry someone I trust they wont screw me over. Naive on my part I know...
My sister just got engaged 2 days ago and she is probably going to be a millionare by next year lol and after reading this thread I called and asked her if she would get him to sign a pre nup (he makes considerably less and probably wont ever match her) she said "hell no!" lol I guess the ladies in my family are trusting lol

Old 11-22-2008, 06:47 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,113,639 times
Quote:
Even though I most likely would not get married at all, I definitely wouldn't get married without a pre-nup. No girl is entitled to any of my assets. She can work for her own money. Whatever I give her, she should be grateful for, not think she can just take at will. No thanks.
With this attitude you'll never get married anyway. There is a significant difference between protecting your assets and being selfish. This post displays extreme selfishness.

If the person was simply protecting his assets, I wouldn't have a problem with a pre-nup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships