Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 12:32 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I have a question. When did Hispanic become a race???? It is a culture.
I am both baffled and angered by this whole Hispanic definition. I've only given it more attention during the last 10 years as easily 1/3 of my friends have some Hispanic roots, but all of them are educated working folks, so they don't concern themselves too much with affirmative action.

In my mind, if you are Spanish OR if you are from Central and South America, and you can trace all your ancestry to Spain, or another European country, then step up to the plate, and check the box for Caucasian. This includes the Cuban for whom all of their ancestors stomped onto the Canary Islands en route to the Caribbean, the Chilean whose grandparents came from Spain or Germany, and the Argentine whose grandparents came from Italy.

The Hispanic box, in my mind, is for the person who may "need" some affirmative action protection because they have some indigenous blood and have a presentation that might kick off the "not one of us" response by a redneck American...the people who the Spanish conquistadores in South America were not very kind to...you know, the poor village folks who hang out in ponchos around Macchu Picchu or you see in those towns which time forgot around Mayan temples in Mexico. Therefore, Lorenzo Lamas and Ricardo Montalban should never be (or should never have been) checking the Hispanic box.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:32 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Hispanic is not purely a culture

Hispanic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
I have a question. When did Hispanic become a race???? It is a culture.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:36 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,310,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I am both baffled and angered by this whole Hispanic definition. I've only given it more attention during the last 10 years as easily 1/3 of my friends have some Hispanic roots, but all of them are educated working folks, so they don't concern themselves too much with affirmative action.

In my mind, if you are Spanish OR if you are from Central and South America, and you can trace all your ancestry to Spain, or another European country, then step up to the plate, and check the box for Caucasian. This includes the Cuban for whom all of their ancestors stomped onto the Canary Islands en route to the Caribbean, the Chilean whose grandparents came from Spain or Germany, and the Argentine whose grandparents came from Italy.

The Hispanic box, in my mind, is for the person who may "need" some affirmative action protection because they have some indigenous blood and have a presentation that might kick off the "not one of us" response by a redneck American...the people who the Spanish conquistadores in South America were not very kind to...you know, the poor village folks who hang out in ponchos around Macchu Picchu or you see in those towns which time forgot around Mayan temples in Mexico. Therefore, Lorenzo Lamas and Ricardo Montalban should never be (or should never have been) checking the Hispanic box.

What's wrong with South American, Mexican, Argentinian. Even Latino.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:37 PM

lol wrong. The word Hispanic is derived from a person having origins in Spain.

Quote:

Old 11-23-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post

Thanks! Very cool, especially the map and the country grid that follows. Didn't know the Portuguese were included, but they are Iberian.

Still, look at the dominance of some European groups in Southern South America. Even though the affirmative action definition covers them, I think it's kind of a cop out for some very WHITE South Americans to check that box.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:43 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post

OK, this is the thing. I own land south of Tela, Honduras. There are Caucasians born in the area and blacks. What are they???

Old 11-23-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
What's wrong with South American, Mexican, Argentinian. Even Latino.
Nothing. You missed my point. The WHITER people of South America probably would not be subject to discrimination and, once here in the US or Canada, tend to be highly educated and fare very well. The wiki article finishes off by talking about the creation of this definition for affirmative action purposes.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
OK, this is the thing. I own land south of Tela, Honduras. There are Caucasians born in the area and blacks. What are they???
They are, in my mind, Caucasian and Black, for census purposes. Or that's what they should indicate.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:46 PM

They could be blended with different races but be of Hispanic origins or ethnicity. If they are then they are Hispanics or considered mixed.

Quote:

Old 11-23-2008, 12:51 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
They are, in my mind, Caucasian and Black, for census purposes. Or that's what they should indicate.
That is what they tell me too!!!! That is why I say Hispanic is a culture. They are very much Hispanic however, their race is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships