Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 03:06 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
There was a time I listened to him before he became syndicated all over America. He was with KFI in Los Angeles, even almost interned on his show. Not just a comb over but a sawed off little **** head.

Some years back I was busy doing something while half listening to the tv when they announced that a radio personality had mentioned the name of the gal who claimed Kobi had raped her, I knew before they mentioned his name that it was him
That could describe about half the radio "personalities" I've ever encountered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 03:10 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,310,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I worked on the creative end of things before I really found a consulting niche. My stuff was featured in AdWeek, Millimeter, Print, etc. Never made into CA or the One Show, however.

I always thought I'd end up in radio or PR, but no I did something entirely different, all though I did take voice over classes with one of the best, but didn't really persue it.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:17 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
I always thought I'd end up in radio or PR, but no I did something entirely different, all though I did take voice over classes with one of the best, but didn't really persue it.
It's never too late, you know. People have suggested I do it, although I've never followed up on it.

One guy I used a lot, Peter Thomas, was the silky-smooth voice who did all the voiceover for NOVA, the PBS science show. For a while, he did a ton of stuff. He had a house in Connecticut, and a house in Florida, and would fly his own plane down there every weekend. He kept a recording studio down there when he needed to cut tracks on the side.

Another guy, whose name escapes me, is out of Atlanta. He had one of those Voice-Of-God kind of voices that comes from smoking three packs a day forever. I did some stuff with him, and he charged 3x union scale.

Anyway, he gets a call from his agent. The agent tells him that a limo was going to pick him up in about thirty minutes and to be ready. Sure enough, the limo picks him up, takes him to a private airport south of Atlanta, where he boards a Lear Jet for LA. Mind you, this was before the age of digital phone lines, et al. Today, he could have just done it at the nearest recording studio, which would have been the same as being in the next room.

A limo picks him up at the airport in LA and drives him to a recording studio that's already set up and ready to go. He walks up to the microphone, says, "Busch!" (You know, when they open the can of beer). He does two more takes, and the client says, "Okay, we're done." He gets back in the limo, flies back to Atlanta, and the limo drives him home.

His take for one day, three takes, and three words? $250,000, not even counting all the residuals. Those Busch spots ran forever. God only knows how much he made for one day's work.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:27 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
On the flip side there is a girl in my class who sounds like Kat Von D and this girl gets me going...she is a dirty lil sex fiend (she told me) and sounds sexy too!
Kat Von D always sounds like her nose is stopped up and she has a cold. While I dont find her voice to be sexy, there is something about her that is definitely sexy. I think with her, its the whole package.

I think that she says "dude" waaaay too much though.

I have a couple of friends who have sexy voices and they are not particularly attractive women. The only thing is, its not their voice that is sexy its their accent - one is from France and the other is from Ukraine.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:28 PM

61 posts, read 155,142 times
OMG i once dated a gurl that had the most killer phone voice that could slay any guy out there, man her voice was like triplexxx, even if she called to talk about how she went to the mall to get buy her cat a hat i was at full attention!!, she was also a gorgeous girl(native/ french) 5'6, 125, long black hair, green eyes, natural hips, curves and da mountains, pouty lips. but her personality was totally boring and completely conservative!! with a voice like that i couldnt believe it, it was like a pamela anderson a your pastor or something! i guess i should have know when she took me to meet her parents on our second date!!!

Old 11-25-2008, 03:29 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,123,320 times
Did she really want to buy her cat a hat?

Old 11-25-2008, 04:01 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,310,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
It's never too late, you know. People have suggested I do it, although I've never followed up on it.

One guy I used a lot, Peter Thomas, was the silky-smooth voice who did all the voiceover for NOVA, the PBS science show. For a while, he did a ton of stuff. He had a house in Connecticut, and a house in Florida, and would fly his own plane down there every weekend. He kept a recording studio down there when he needed to cut tracks on the side.

Another guy, whose name escapes me, is out of Atlanta. He had one of those Voice-Of-God kind of voices that comes from smoking three packs a day forever. I did some stuff with him, and he charged 3x union scale.

Anyway, he gets a call from his agent. The agent tells him that a limo was going to pick him up in about thirty minutes and to be ready. Sure enough, the limo picks him up, takes him to a private airport south of Atlanta, where he boards a Lear Jet for LA. Mind you, this was before the age of digital phone lines, et al. Today, he could have just done it at the nearest recording studio, which would have been the same as being in the next room.

A limo picks him up at the airport in LA and drives him to a recording studio that's already set up and ready to go. He walks up to the microphone, says, "Busch!" (You know, when they open the can of beer). He does two more takes, and the client says, "Okay, we're done." He gets back in the limo, flies back to Atlanta, and the limo drives him home.

His take for one day, three takes, and three words? $250,000, not even counting all the residuals. Those Busch spots ran forever. God only knows how much he made for one day's work.

Damn. I should have stuck it out , but I was getting so many offers for other things was making huge money, was 19 years younger and didn't want to deal with auditions and rejections. There again I don't think I was that good at dialects and accents, even now I can't do dialects/accents, so I can only go for things like audio books, corporate training, documentaries, phone systems that sort of thing.

Amazing what smoking will do to a mans voice. My voice of coach was Tom Clay who was a popular Radio DJ in the 60's who started voicer overs when radio work dried up. Just like your guy amazing voice from smoking way too much, in fact I believe that's what took him ... lung cancer.

I might check around and get a new demo done and find an agent .

Old 11-25-2008, 04:12 PM

61 posts, read 155,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
Did she really want to buy her cat a hat?
she bought it a coat/hat something stupid like that, she had a gud heart but, jus to damn boring, she even would refuse to bake bread(if you know what i'm saying) in any other position if her loaf wasnt on the bottom just laying there, ugh. i hate to say it but she was a GREAT hood ornament but lousy performer, like a saleen mustang with a lawnmower engine!!!!

Old 11-25-2008, 04:17 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,123,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmston2 View Post
she bought it a coat/hat something stupid like that, she had a gud heart but, jus to damn boring, she even would refuse to bake bread(if you know what i'm saying) in any other position if her loaf wasnt on the bottom just laying there, ugh. i hate to say it but she was a GREAT hood ornament but lousy performer, like a saleen mustang with a lawnmower engine!!!!
I have never heard sex called baking bread. Does that mean I'm old?

Old 11-25-2008, 04:19 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,605 times
So you think Kat Von D's voice is sexy? Interesting as I've heard so many women complain that they find it annoying. Not me, but it's just what I've heard.

I had a friend who loved to put on a special sexy voice only when talking on the phone. When people met her in person, they were always shocked as she didn't talk that way or look like the sexy phone voice as all. She did it to screw with people's (mostly men) heads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships