Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 09:45 AM

1,113 posts, read 3,494,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
You don't want to not pay support in NJ.
FAQ's - What is ACSES? ACSES is the child support computer system. It stands for Automated Child Support Enforcement System. This is where we store information about your case. It also keeps a record of all payments that are made or owed. If the non-custodial parent does not pay, ACSES automatically starts taking action to enforce the order. It also keeps a record of everything that happens on your case.

NJ doesn't mess around with non-payment and never has.
My son's "father" has been locked up many times, dating back into the late 80's.

Also see this page - ENFORCEMENT: MAKING SURE CHILD SUPPORT GETS PAID
The Child Support Program has many enforcement tools to make sure the child support gets paid. These include, but are not limited to:

* Income withholding
* Credit reporting
* Lottery prize intercept
* Tax fund offset
* Seizure of assets
* License suspension
* Passport denial
* Civil awards/settlements
* Court enforcement
* Warrant
* Judgement
* New Hires Directory

This is one thing I just don't get-suspending the NCP's driver's license. All that does is make it difficult for the person to get to work so they CAN pay their support. And if they drive for a living, they lose their job. Makes no sense to me.

Everything I'm looking at online says "Get a lawyer! Get a lawyer!" I told my friends this and their responses were " If I could afford a lawyer, I could afford to pay the support."

The general way of thinking (at least by the family-court system) is that all NCP's just don't want to pay support, which isn't true at all. People lose jobs, (remember our economy stinks right now), they get sick or disabled or their spouse does, which is all someone needs to put them in a financial hole. S*** happens. It can happen to anyone, including family-court workers who obviously enjoy looking down on NCP's. No one is immune from bad luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 01:15 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersgrl1969 View Post
Is South Carolina one of those states?

I doubt NJ is willing to travel 600+ miles just to pick up someone for child-support. If they get arrested for something else I can see the warrant popping up, and they may have to sit in jail for a little while in their state, but that's it.
I don't know the answer to that.. I'm not a child support expert although at times I play one on the internet lol

The way I read it is that it goes into a main system that is linked to other states. If the person gets arrested, it will show a warrant. I don't know if they would actually go pick the person up if they are not breaking the law.

Years ago, CP used to do sweeps. Pretty sure my ex was in one of them, told he'd won something and he went to pick it up. I have the article somewhere, as someone sent it to me. This was way back, technology has changed so much that they don't have to do stuff like that any more.

Quote:
This is one thing I just don't get-suspending the NCP's driver's license. All that does is make it difficult for the person to get to work so they CAN pay their support. And if they drive for a living, they lose their job. Makes no sense to me.

Everything I'm looking at online says "Get a lawyer! Get a lawyer!" I told my friends this and their responses were " If I could afford a lawyer, I could afford to pay the support."

The general way of thinking (at least by the family-court system) is that all NCP's just don't want to pay support, which isn't true at all. People lose jobs, (remember our economy stinks right now), they get sick or disabled or their spouse does, which is all someone needs to put them in a financial hole. S*** happens. It can happen to anyone, including family-court workers who obviously enjoy looking down on NCP's. No one is immune from bad luck.
I agree; especially in times like right now. If someone has a job, everything should be done to allow them to work. I don't doubt a judge would say take public transportation.

So, back to your friend. they had a job change and the pay went down?
There is all sorts of info available online. I've linked to the court forms, all they have to do is print them out and fill them in, then follow the directions. It is not hard.

How do you think I learned what I know? online.
I like to make sure I know my rights before I go to court. I'm not one of those ex's that goes to court just to be a prick and in fact I'm more like you where he owes me over $10,000 for medical yet I haven't pushed it any more then sending him the database which he says he doesn't get.

If they can't afford an attorney, go see a paralegal. The paralegal can help with the form but from what I've heard (never used one before) they don't go to court with you.

Does your friend really want to change this or are they just talking?
Where there is a will, there's a way.
Does he have any skills he can use to do side work?

Old 12-14-2008, 01:49 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrassgirl View Post
Visitation and child support - two totally separate issues.
Not in CA it's not. If a man is paying child support, then he's entitled to spend time with his kids. I believe that it's 25% every month for a non-custodial parent. At least thta's what my sister told me. After the divorce, he stayed in New Zealand, and since she was living with our parents, she didn't ask him for child support. It was just simpler all around that way. Then years later, he came back to the states and starting paying child support. He just walked into whatever state division of child services was in charge of that, and they were shocked. I guess it was the first time ever, a parent came in of their own accord and offered to pay support.

My suggestion to the O.P. is that the child support is for his child. And not paying at all can add up quckly to a big amount that is harder to catch up on. So hire a lawyer to get his visitation rights enforced and also put that child support money into an escrow account. That way the court can see that he's ready and willing to pay his child support on time, but that his only beef is not being able to see his child.

Children should never be used as pawns by their parents. And they do need to see the non custodial parent on a regular basis. And no matter what a jerk this person is, let the child decide on his own later on about how they feel about this parent. Protecting the child from a jerk ex partner is not the answer. And it does ultimately hurt the child and when that child becomes an adult, they will have their own issues about relationships and marriage to wrestle with if their own parents couldn't act and be civilized about their divorce. It's also bad for a child to be with parents that stay married if they fight all the time. Children need good role models and it's the parents they primarily look to for that stuff.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:53 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times
Quote:

Your friend needs to remember child support is for his child not for his EX. How far in arrears is your friend? Your friend needs to stay in touch with the court and and inform them when his income changes or he is sick or disabled or loses his job. Moving to another state to avoid paying child support would be an awful and hurtful thing to do to his child.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Your friend needs to remember child support is for his child not for his EX. How far in arrears is your friend? Your friend needs to stay in touch with the court and and inform them when his income changes or he is sick or disabled or loses his job. Moving to another state to avoid paying child support would be an awful and hurtful thing to do to his child.

Well, that's the way things are supposed to be, but everyone knows a lot of CP's don't spend every last cent on the child, or else you'd never hear stories like the poster who said she was paying support and when she saw her kids they were dressed in raggy, too-small clothes. Maybe courts should make CP's account for every cent spent of child support-then they wouldn't do these things.
My friend (the guy) is behind about 12,000 dollars (yes really.) As far as staying in touch with court regarding changes in income, he just went to court yesterday for a c.s. hearing for non-payment and when he tried showing his paystubs to the hearing officer, they wouldn't even look at them. He went from making around $ 350 a week to $50, no kidding, and he filed for a reduction and they turned him down! He's supposed to pay $86 a week plus $20 in arrears (this is for ONE kid, mind you) and when he gets his $50 paycheck they take out $30 for support and leave $20 for him. This guy also has a wife and two other kids to support. His job seriously cut back hours and he can't find another job because (1) he doesn't have a driver's license, which seriously hurts you job-wise; (2) he has a criminal record. About the only thing he could do at this point is maybe pump gas for $7 an hour, but where he lives all the gas stations are family owned and operated. The only skills he has are as a driver, and unfortunately he lost his license for non-payment of municipal court fines (he was in jail and couldn't pay them.) He has asked his ex (whom he was never married to, BTW) over and over to give him a break-she knows his situation but obviously is a vindictive b***h who's pissed off because he left her for his current wife and she wants to make his life miserable. I told him he needs to move out of NJ because as anyone in this state knows, the family court system is a joke here. Like I said before, all they care about is money, and I guess if you get sick or lose your job you're supposed to go sell your a** to pay your support. His ex knows what his limitations are as far as employment goes, yet still insists on dogging him for support, which tells me she's just a b***h looking for revenge.
I also don't think his other children should have to be on welfare because all his pay goes to his ex. What about their "best interests"? I guess it's OK if taxpayers support his other two kids?? The whole thing stinks.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:13 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times
Doesn't matter if the ex is nice or vindictive, he still owes child support to his child. Are you the mom of his two other children?

Old 12-15-2008, 01:57 PM

36,519 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Also, I've never heard of someone being locked up for non payment of child support. Here in CA, that usually doesn't happen, there are so many deadbeats, and nothing is ever done to them.
Youve got to be kidding. My son got laid-off and behind $700.00 on support. He went to court and got 150 days in jail.

Jersgrl
I know exactly what you are talking about. Family court is a joke here too. My son finially got a court order filed to lower his cs. It cost $75 to file the order then there will be court costs on top of that. I hope they dont lock him back up when he goes to court. He is like, crap if I had that $$ I'd just give it to her for support.

Meanwhile she acts like the kids are starving, but she has a nice section 8 appartment, a nice car, manicured nails, highlights, 3 cell phones, about 15 piercings (those are the ones I can see), a purse full of prescription drugs, has defrauded the state over 9,000 in food stamps and owns money all over 3 counties.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Youve got to be kidding. My son got laid-off and behind $700.00 on support. He went to court and got 150 days in jail.

Jersgrl
I know exactly what you are talking about. Family court is a joke here too. My son finially got a court order filed to lower his cs. It cost $75 to file the order then there will be court costs on top of that. I hope they dont lock him back up when he goes to court. He is like, crap if I had that $$ I'd just give it to her for support.

Meanwhile she acts like the kids are starving, but she has a nice section 8 appartment, a nice car, manicured nails, highlights, 3 cell phones, about 15 piercings (those are the ones I can see), a purse full of prescription drugs, has defrauded the state over 9,000 in food stamps and owns money all over 3 counties.

Yeah, same thing with my friend's ex-she lives at home with mommy and daddy (she's pushing 30), drives a late-model car, has a good-paying job, her parents no doubt help support her son, but she acts like her kid is starving to death and reallllllly needs that $86 a week. In the meantime my friend has been reduced to applying for welfare so he can support his family.

Someone told me that if a NCP is living under the poverty level they don't have to pay support-anyone know if there's any truth to this?

Old 12-15-2008, 11:16 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Please give the exact link to what I need to read. I see nothing saying that non payment of support equals no visitation.

What I am able to find is family issues fact sheet
Visitation/Custody:

Custody and/or visitation may be granted in the support order. They have no bearing on the payment or receipt of child support. You must continue to pay the support as ordered even if you are having problems with custody and visitation.

If problems involving custody and/or visitation occur, they must be handled through your county's family case management office.

Custody and visitation arrangements should be made with the child's best interest in mind and mediation may help both parents work out problems that may occur.

I also found Link:

24. What can be done if a party fails to comply with the visitation schedule?

A common problem with visitation is that one party fails to comply with the visitation schedule. Visitation schedules are derived from court orders or judgments of divorce. Therefore, if a person consistently fails to comply with a visitation schedule then they can create a real mess for themselves. A court can sanction a parent with fines if they consistently fail to comply with a visitation schedule.

In some cases, an embittered former wife becomes so enraged that she does everything within her power to deny the husband visitation rights. This type of scenario often occurs when the ex-husband leaves his former wife for another woman. The world is a nasty place, and this scenario happens quite frequently. The embittered spouse often convinces the kids that dad is a reincarnation of "Satan."

It must be emphasized that a former husband has the right to visit with his children, regardless of the circumstances that led to the dissolution of the marriage. In some extreme circumstances, the court will even transfer custody if a parent is consistently denied visitation rights. This measure is only used as a measure of last resort.

LINK: (the whole page is useful

3. I never get to have visitation(s) with my children. Do I still have to pay child support?

The answer to this question is an unequivocal "Yes." Visitation and child support are two separate and distinct issues. The custodial parent has a duty to allow a non-custodial parent visitation with the children, and the non-custodial parent has the duty to pay child support. If there is interference with your visitation, then you must file a motion in the family court to enforce your visitation rights.

A non-custodial parent can file a motion to have the child support placed in an escrow account until any visitation disputes are resolved. In many cases, the best method to convince an embittered ex-wife to permit visitation is to exert financial pressure on her. It may be advisable to file a motion and request that the court order that the Probation Department hold all of the child support payments in escrow until any visitation dispute(s) are resolved. If the judge is open minded, then he may carefully consider this request.

list of subjects from that site here

other links: NJ courts online
Forms and Kits for Self Represented Litigants

Judiciary Forms
HEY! Your right and I'm wrong!!! It happens.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:21 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Quote:
Well, that's the way things are supposed to be, but everyone knows a lot of CP's don't spend every last cent on the child, or else you'd never hear stories like the poster who said she was paying support and when she saw her kids they were dressed in raggy, too-small clothes. Maybe courts should make CP's account for every cent spent of child support-then they wouldn't do these things.
My friend (the guy) is behind about 12,000 dollars (yes really.) As far as staying in touch with court regarding changes in income, he just went to court yesterday for a c.s. hearing for non-payment and when he tried showing his paystubs to the hearing officer, they wouldn't even look at them. He went from making around $ 350 a week to $50, no kidding, and he filed for a reduction and they turned him down! He's supposed to pay $86 a week plus $20 in arrears (this is for ONE kid, mind you) and when he gets his $50 paycheck they take out $30 for support and leave $20 for him. This guy also has a wife and two other kids to support. His job seriously cut back hours and he can't find another job because (1) he doesn't have a driver's license, which seriously hurts you job-wise; (2) he has a criminal record. About the only thing he could do at this point is maybe pump gas for $7 an hour, but where he lives all the gas stations are family owned and operated. The only skills he has are as a driver, and unfortunately he lost his license for non-payment of municipal court fines (he was in jail and couldn't pay them.) He has asked his ex (whom he was never married to, BTW) over and over to give him a break-she knows his situation but obviously is a vindictive b***h who's pissed off because he left her for his current wife and she wants to make his life miserable. I told him he needs to move out of NJ because as anyone in this state knows, the family court system is a joke here. Like I said before, all they care about is money, and I guess if you get sick or lose your job you're supposed to go sell your a** to pay your support. His ex knows what his limitations are as far as employment goes, yet still insists on dogging him for support, which tells me she's just a b***h looking for revenge.
I also don't think his other children should have to be on welfare because all his pay goes to his ex. What about their "best interests"? I guess it's OK if taxpayers support his other two kids?? The whole thing stinks.
Just out of curiosity, why the HELL did this man have two more kids if he was only making $350 a week. That's not enough money for one person to live off of, much less supporting a family of 4. Much less also supporting another child.

He has 3 children. He needs to suck it up and take every and all jobs that he can. I don't care if he's only able to sleep for 3 hours a night- he brought those children into the world and it is his responsibility to support them. What does his wife do?

This man sounds like bad news (jail time? And we're supposed to feel sorry for him?) and it would probably be in his 1st child's best interest if the mother stopped asking for child support and cut him out of the child's life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships