Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 10:20 AM

135 posts, read 513,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
By drastically different I mean:
1. We are of different races. Ones white, the others not.
I am white, my husband is Mexican.
2. We are of different educational background. One's ivy league grad with a Master's. The other only has a high school diploma.
He went to college, I did not. He was the nerd, I was the slacker (fully capable of doing anything I wanted, but felt my social life was more important than schoolwork).
3. We are of different profession. One's a high flying professional. The other's a warehouse worker.
Hubby has a good job & I'm a SAHM.
4. We are of different economic status. One's dining out in fine restaurants. the other's broke and cannot even afford to buy groceries.
He grew up in the ghetto & didn't have much of anything, I wasn't "rich" by any means, but nonetheless I was still a spoiled brat.
5. We have different circles of friends. One's socializing with bankers, lawyers, and doctors. The other hangs out with construction workers, janitors, and pizza delivery guys.
Yep...
Is it probable for two persons of such different background to become a couple?
IMO - Definitely!
Just depends on the people & how compatible they actually are. Life would get pretty boring if you & your mate were exactly the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 10:36 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,992,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
That fantasy also runs rampant in the mail order bride thread
That was my train of thought when pursuing european hotties but I wanted to cut out the middle man and find one locally. The shipping FedEx and UPS was quoting me was ridiculous.

Old 12-25-2008, 03:11 PM

43 posts, read 82,309 times
This will just make a relationship more challenging. I would say NO to this.

Old 12-25-2008, 06:40 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnzFam View Post
Just depends on the people & how compatible they actually are. Life would get pretty boring if you & your mate were exactly the same.
But short of marrying your twin, the chances of finding someone that is exactly like you is... slim to none.

For a marriage and raising children, it seems to me that being more alike is better than being dissimliar to your mate. With being from a completely different culture, class or background, there is a greater chance clashing with your spouse on matters that really count, like finances, religion, disciplining the children and the woman's role in the relationship.

For an example of opposites in a relationship, for me there is no way I would consider going to a Muslim country like Egypt and Afghanistan and marrying there because in those countries, women have no rights, not even the right to get an education. And if I were to have children, why would I bring a daughter into this world that would have a lesser quality life than I do?

Afghan schoolgirls defy Taliban - World Blog - msnbc.com

Anyway, it's much easier and SAFER for a man to take a chance and choose to marry someone from a completely different background as he than it is for a woman to do the same as traditionally, the men wear the pants in the relationship. And I'm sure that in terms of Americans marrying someone from a foreign country and bringing them back to the US, the vast majority of those unions are American men marrying foreign women.

Therefore, in this thread that asked such a generalized question, if given the choice between marrying someone who was alike to me or dissimilar to me, I would of course pick a man that was most alike to me and my values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships