Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 06:03 PM

640 posts, read 1,732,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Sounds like you've been giving second upon second chances for at least five years. How's that working out for you? This person is telling you that he/she is an eagle and when you say "okay, spread your wings and fly," this person can't. Instead this person disregards you and the relationship. Know why? Because worms can't sprout wings, regardless of how much they claim they are eagles. So, aim high and ditch the worm. Fly with the eagles already!
This is right on target. You were treated badly for FIVE YEARS, why would this person change for you now? Past behavior is the best indicator of future behavior, do you really think everything is going to change now? Most people act pretty consistently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 07:54 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,110,872 times
Thank you, guys! All very good input! You don't know how much I appreciate it!

Old 12-17-2008, 08:23 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,955,919 times
I think it's time to give yourself the chance, and move on alone.

If you've been generous with "second" chances that haven't panned out, explain it that way. If there's anything left to save, (doubtful but possible), offer to revisit the issue in a few years. Providing of course, that he has permanently pulled his head out of his coolie & that you are available and still have any desire left for him.

Depending on your age & circumstances, a lengthy time apart could bring you back together one day. If not, then at least no more of your life was lost to a one-sided relationship.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:42 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,120,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no8fann View Post
If you had been in a long term relationship with someone who had spent a good part of the last, say 5 years, really disregarding the relationship, being selfish, dishonest, etc. - would you give them another chance, if they really seemed sincere? (Even if they had many chances previously?)

When is enough, enough?

If they are making changes, do you try again, or do you wish them well, and say "I hope you can keep up improvements for your own sake" and get on with your life? At what point do you separate yourself permanently from a committed relationship, when you still care for the person, especially (or not) if there are children involved? Do you get to a point where love is not enough to keep it going?
Five years is enough. Wish them the best, save yourself and walk away. Especially if they have had many chances. This person sounds like in 5 years has learned what to do to get another chance. This relationship is at the point when love is not enough. It doesn't sound like recipirocal love anyway.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:47 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,720,359 times
5 years!?

I would have found someone else before the first year was up.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:45 AM

434 posts, read 934,079 times
Well, it is always easier for bystanders to say "walk away"

Since nothing is perfect in this world, let's talk about "tradeoffs"

Other than the cons, have there been any pros for you?

Make a list and do the calculation

Only you can figure what is good for you

Since what works for others may not work for you

Good luck!

Old 12-18-2008, 08:12 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,961,568 times
Quote:
If you had been in a long term relationship with someone who had spent a good part of the last, say 5 years, really disregarding the relationship, being selfish, dishonest, etc. - would you give them another chance, if they really seemed sincere? (Even if they had many chances previously?)

When is enough, enough?

If they are making changes, do you try again, or do you wish them well, and say "I hope you can keep up improvements for your own sake" and get on with your life? At what point do you separate yourself permanently from a committed relationship, when you still care for the person, especially (or not) if there are children involved? Do you get to a point where love is not enough to keep it going?
No.

No second chance.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:16 AM

2,383 posts, read 6,060,047 times
Quote:

When is enough, enough?

Second chance???
I would say that the five years given was second chance enough.
I mean, at what point do you turn around and decide that you are going to be in control of your life and your happiness?
Five years...that's a long time to not be given that second chance already.
This sounds like you are having a hard time moving on and you need to.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:28 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,167,951 times
Quote:

When is enough, enough?

What??! NO way.....there's a huge difference between making a quick mistake and making a 5 year mistake.......there are wayyyyy too many good guys/girls out there to sit around waiting for somone to shape up......

LATERS ......NEXT!!

Old 12-18-2008, 08:37 AM

78,454 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:

When is enough, enough?

The one word that stuck out in your post was....dishonesty. Right there, the deal is broken for me.

Really, I have to ask why you still have feelings for this person? I guess I'd want to know more specifically what hasn't been occurring or what the root problem is? (Drugs, no job etc?)

It sounds like you have had enough and perhaps deserve better. I would ask yourself why you haven't done something sooner? Do you really love them, or are afraid to be by yourself or tried to convince yourself of love for the kids sake etc?

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships