Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 10:58 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,311,270 times

Advertisements

I don't mean with the family in another state or other part of town. I mean saying to heck with all the fuss, I'm just gonna lie on a sunny beach with umbrella drinks?

I know some people who are spending it in Jamaica and another lot who are going to Morocco for 10 days away from it all. I would too but Xmas is a cruicial time for me and business and I am working throughout the holidays. In fact a number of people I know, usually singles or those without children or those whose children have flown the coup are choosing that. Me? Come end of January I'm taking myself off to the Maldives for two weeks. I'm gonna need it badly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 11:10 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,222,790 times
Yep, I've probably spent more Christmas' away than with family from the age of 14 onwards.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:11 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,340,815 times
I have been away from my family since 1996.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:16 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
I don't mean with the family in another state or other part of town. I mean saying to heck with all the fuss, I'm just gonna lie on a sunny beach with umbrella drinks?
Not with umbrella drinks, but I wandered the streets of NYC one year. It was nice.

Quote:
Come end of January I'm taking myself off to the Maldives for two weeks. I'm gonna need it badly.
Lucky you! Such beautiful beaches! Have fun!

Old 12-15-2008, 03:22 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,311,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Not with umbrella drinks, but I wandered the streets of NYC one year. It was nice.

Lucky you! Such beautiful beaches! Have fun!
Even skiing, doesn't have to be sunny. If by next christmas I feel comfortable leaving business in in somebodies competent hands I think I'd like to go to Morocco and experience something different from the madness they call the festive season.

About you wondering the streets of NYC. Isn't solitude just the best thing some times? I do that sometimes. The other night I was coming back from somwhere and was driving down the Embankment in London, it looked so beautiful, so I parked the car and just walked for about an hour at 1 am

Old 12-15-2008, 03:25 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post

I know some people who are spending it in Jamaica and another lot who are going to Morocco for 10 days away from it all. I would too but Xmas is a cruicial time for me and business and I am working throughout the holidays. In fact a number of people I know, usually singles or those without children or those whose children have flown the coup are choosing that. Me? Come end of January I'm taking myself off to the Maldives for two weeks. I'm gonna need it badly.

No way. For me, Christmas IS family. And I LOVE the fuss!!! Christmas is my favorite time of year.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:41 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,432,932 times
Before kids, we used to go skiing every year. The slopes were still packed and a lot of people brought their children. Then, we'd head home and eat dinner out at a Chinese restaurant. My friend told me that was called Jewish Christmas. Once our kids are old enough, I think we'll resume that. A nice day on the slopes beats a day of cooking. I'll reserve that for Thanksgiving.

I have an acquaintance who takes himself off to Asia every Christmas in order to avoid the whole holiday.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:44 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,123,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
No way. For me, Christmas IS family. And I LOVE the fuss!!! Christmas is my favorite time of year.
Same for me. I love all of the traditional things we do like baking cookies, decorating, the Nutcracker Ballet, and Christmas parties. I can't imagine not being home with my family on Christmas morning.

But....any other time I'm all up for the beach and fruity drinks.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:44 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,240,440 times
I would kill to not have to spend Christmas with family.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:46 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Does skiing in Santa Fe count? My mom went out of the country one year and my dad took me and my bro skiing instead of staying home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships