Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 12:05 AM

8 posts, read 14,204 times

Advertisements

I am divorced after the first debacle which was a mutual failure , I decided that no matter what i will not make a mistake in chosing my partner.
so here I am looking for that perfect person and guess what I am so freaking unhappy because all I ask of my dates is "what if she isn't the right one" ? Is that normal?

That isn't the reason for the post though the actual reason is given below:

The person I am dating now I have been going out with her for close to a year and I have no answers about how I feel about to her to move forward and not feel selfish (set her free/breakup earlier than later) while I try and figure this out.

Here is my analysis (you never though you would hear that term used with relationships but here it is)
She is loving, sweet, beautiful, kind, sociable, clean, faithful, has good commuincation in general but not in english(communication is more than use of a language), sporty, a good cook, good with kids.

Now the flip side: Heavy around the bottoms, poor english communication, not inclined to read, not curious to know more about things, not environmentally aware (does silly things and doesn't use common sense), loves stating the obvious, slow in understanding things like jokes and a little boring at times.

Given the above I am trying to do the balancing act.

Yes, I guess the question to ask which is probably very important is do I love her? I wish the answer was as simple as the question. I DON'T KNOW.

Anyone been in my shoes? Any advice which worked for you? It is keeping me more preoccupied than I want to be . Please help!!

Last edited by one_life; 12-21-2008 at 01:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 01:13 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,007,791 times
I hate to sound like a broken record but it's all in your 'instincts'. Your 'intuition'...hunches...your innver voice...God speaking to you...whatever you want to call it, we all have it, we just need to listen to it. Right now you're just fighting it. Trust it and just as importantly, act on it. We could all save ourselves a lot of trouble if we'd learn to recognize and use this ability. If you don't know if you trust yours, practice with it. Use it on small things first, you'll see. It won't steer you wrong. Good luck to you.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:41 AM

917 posts, read 2,299,484 times
If your answer to "do I love her?" is "I don't know." then you don't love her. You may like her or enjoy having sex with her or whatever but if you really loved her you would know. So... do her and yourself a big favor and move on. Nothing worse then being married to someone you don't have a "passion"for!

Old 12-21-2008, 08:22 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by one_life View Post
She is loving, sweet, beautiful, kind, sociable, clean, faithful, has good commuincation in general but not in english(communication is more than use of a language), sporty, a good cook, good with kids.

Now the flip side: Heavy around the bottoms, poor english communication, not inclined to read, not curious to know more about things, not environmentally aware (does silly things and doesn't use common sense), loves stating the obvious, slow in understanding things like jokes and a little boring at times.
Your positives are kind of vague, but your negatives are pretty specific. It seems like you're trying to talk yourself into liking this woman more than you do.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:44 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
If you think she's dumb, don't date her. The "incurious" statement is a red flag. You'll end up hating her.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:46 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
If you 'don't know,' you don't love her. If you're already annoyed, forget it. The more time passes, the worse it will get.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:53 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,678,174 times
Post A mirror unto your own soul

Here I am an old gal who is looking at 25 years of marriage straight in the face and if I had any "wisdom" to impart it would be one thing. A man sees himself reflected in his spouse. If the reflection is not of his liking he will not be satisfied. How do you feel about yourself when you look at her? Do you feel uplifted, encouraged, optimistic? Something to think about

Old 12-21-2008, 10:09 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
I would be inclined to agree with WestCobb and think that you are talking yourself into liking this woman. I also agree with stan4 after reading your negatives. It does not sound like this is the woman for you.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:51 AM

429 posts, read 1,148,405 times
The only good reason for being with someone is because doing so makes you happy.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:12 AM

78,421 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by one_life View Post
I am divorced after the first debacle which was a mutual failure , I decided that no matter what i will not make a mistake in chosing my partner.
so here I am looking for that perfect person and guess what I am so freaking unhappy because all I ask of my dates is "what if she isn't the right one" ? Is that normal?

That isn't the reason for the post though the actual reason is given below:

The person I am dating now I have been going out with her for close to a year and I have no answers about how I feel about to her to move forward and not feel selfish (set her free/breakup earlier than later) while I try and figure this out.

Here is my analysis (you never though you would hear that term used with relationships but here it is)

Given the above I am trying to do the balancing act.

Yes, I guess the question to ask which is probably very important is do I love her? I wish the answer was as simple as the question. I DON'T KNOW.

Anyone been in my shoes? Any advice which worked for you? It is keeping me more preoccupied than I want to be . Please help!!
How often do you see her? Do you enjoy your time together?

The sure-fire test is imagine that she breaks up with you tomorrow. How would you feel?

There is no such thing as the perfect woman....my wife had several negatives I could have listed but in general it worked quite well, we both had flaws. I like certain things that she hated and vice-versa...so she would go see movies I didn't want to see with her girlfriends etc. I would go see my friends and do stuff with them she didn't enjoy.

I don't know what to say, perhaps the answer is that you don't have one at this time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships