Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 06:58 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times

Advertisements

Are you Married?

Do you have Kids?

These are very personal questions and I don't feel the need to answer these unless it's a woman who is single and attractive. I have never thought about asking a female co-worker is she married?

Why is it so important for WOMEN at a job to know the answer to these questions? Every Job I ever had it was always a woman trying to be all in my personal life. How bout letting the person bring it up first instead of prying for personal information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 07:02 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Usually women who ask these questions are interested in you and trying to gauge your availability.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:14 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
It's just what women do. Doesn't mean they're gauging you for anything. Guys talk sport, women talk domestics.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:18 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Usually women who ask these questions are interested in you and trying to gauge your availability.
The one who asked talks about her boyfriend all the time so to hear a question like that from someone who I would date in a second but is not available is very annoying.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:23 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
It's just what women do. Doesn't mean they're gauging you for anything. Guys talk sport, women talk domestics.
Yes, it's highly annoying. Not all women do it although it's the majority the ones that do I walk away from because they scare me.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:24 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Are you Married?

Do you have Kids?

These are very personal questions and I don't feel the need to answer these unless it's a woman who is single and attractive. I have never thought about asking a female co-worker is she married?

Why is it so important for WOMEN at a job to know the answer to these questions? Every Job I ever had it was always a woman trying to be all in my personal life. How bout letting the person bring it up first instead of prying for personal information.
Thats just how women are. Blah blah blah blah blah.............. Always asking questions. What I like to do is go up to a group of women and say "Oh great, Im sure you are all experts in this so I have a question that I need answering. Which is better, Palmolive or Dove?" or "You guys look like experts on this, which do you prefer between Dyson and Hoover vacuum cleaners".

I wouldnt be so worried about women asking questions like that. Those are just basic things they like to know and usually its their primary goal in life - get married and have kids. They'll go back to their S.O. and say "There's this guy at work HE's married and have kids, why can we get married and have kids .....blah blah blah blah......"

Old 07-15-2009, 07:26 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Are you Married?

Do you have Kids?

I'm confused, let me get this straight...you're ok with attractive and/or unattached women "being all in your personal life", just not unattractive or attached women?

Old 07-15-2009, 07:29 PM

328 posts, read 886,277 times
It's just small talk. It does not mean anything. Women ask each other these types of questions too. Does it mean their lesbians?

Old 07-15-2009, 07:29 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I'm confused, let me get this straight...you're ok with attractive and/or unattached women "being all in your personal life", just not unattractive or attached women?
Oh come on. Women are the same way. If a guy the find unattractive gives them attention they get upset and think that the guy is creepy. If a guy they find attractive gives them attention they are all flattered and feel great about themselves.

A lot of guys are the same way. Me, however, I like it when any woman gives me attention.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:30 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Women tend to concentrate more on relationships than guys do, particularly with people who are not particularly close to them.

You would only ask a lady co-worker if she was married/has kids if you were *quite* interested in dating her, if you would even then. But the ladies will talk about this topic with people they are not very close to.

This may be related to the "Venus/Mars" book's assertion that guys talk about their problems only with people who they think can help them solve the problem, while the ladies just want to talk about their problems/situations and have you hear them out, they are not asking you for an "answer".

My wife is always amazed at how little I know about co-workers family situations. It's a guy thing, we just don't inquire about this with each other. What ball team you follow, yes. But, like most guys, I don't really care if my colleauges are straight or gay, married or single, parents or not.

At some point if someone becomes more of a friend than just a colleague, we do find out about family status, but usually incidentally to some other topic of common interest.

Last edited by M3 Mitch; 07-15-2009 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: Venus/Mars comment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships