Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 12:38 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,158,204 times

Advertisements

I have this very close friend who is about to turn 58 and he's newly divorced.

I think he's going through a mid-life crisis and here's why. He called me this morning to chat and see how I was feeling and then he said "I'm going this weekend to get a tattoo and tongue piercing". I responded, "You just got two good-size ear plugs last month- I thought when you go through a midlife crisis, you buy a $80,000.00 sports car, a new Harley Davidson Fatboy, and start pounding 21 year old girls till you finally wake up and say, "that was fun, but now it's old" ...

I think he’s lost his freak'n mind … He has two kids, one 7 and one 13 - Just last week he laughed and told me his 13 year old son said he doesn’t want him meeting any of his friend’s parents.

What is this he’s going through all about ????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 12:45 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,188 times
why would 21 year old girls get with 58 year old men? do these older gentlemen pay for their servies?

clearly he needs some help but he's old enough to be his own man. there's nothing you can do but sit back and watch it all unfold. it should be pretty interesting for you. if you can, take some pics of him, his piercings, etc. and post them on here but just blur out his eyes.

he probably is just trying to re-visit his youth due to realization of him being older...but the real question is, what triggered it?

Old 01-22-2009, 12:50 PM

Maybe his divorce ?? No clue ... He told me, "I heard chicks dig men with piercings" ... Ack !

Old 01-22-2009, 01:01 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,082,598 times
When my daughter (16) met my "lovers" and I was driving her home we had this discussion....

Dad? How old is Mariah?

21..deer in headlights look in eyes, huge grin from daughter

You dog! She's younger than _____(sister)

Is that a problem?

Hey if you can get em, and you're happy, props to you! hi-five

Hey you know how you always tell your mom everything?

You always say that but....

Just listen....you make sure you get every detail right when you tell her about this!

Is it for vanity? Duhhhhhhhhhh, a need to prove oneself? Duihhhhhhhh Wanting to feel younger? What is that a woman only rule? WE HAVE FEELINGS TOO, DAMNIT!

Old 01-22-2009, 01:06 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
You know, the mid-life crisis works both ways. I've seen a lot of fortyish women suddenly start working out like there's no tomorrow, start squeezing into clothes more appropriate for their daughters, and dashing off for girls' weekends while their hubbies are toiling away 10-12 hours a day at the office to pay for the wife's indolent lifestyle.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:10 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times
would you be just as excited and willing to brag if your 21 yo daughter bagged herself a 58 yo?

anyhow. this behavior might seem a bit extreme for most people, but if he was already a rock type of guy or left over (really left over) punk, then why not.

or maybe hes doing things his wife didnt let him do while married.

the tongue peircing is pretty odd tho. for a man that age. well for any man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
When my daughter (16) met my "lovers" and I was driving her home we had this discussion....

Dad? How old is Mariah?

21..deer in headlights look in eyes, huge grin from daughter

You dog! She's younger than _____(sister)

Is that a problem?

Hey if you can get em, and you're happy, props to you! hi-five

Hey you know how you always tell your mom everything?

You always say that but....

Just listen....you make sure you get every detail right when you tell her about this!

Is it for vanity? Duhhhhhhhhhh, a need to prove oneself? Duihhhhhhhh Wanting to feel younger? What is that a woman only rule? WE HAVE FEELINGS TOO, DAMNIT!

Old 01-22-2009, 01:12 PM

ACK ! I wouldn't want a 40 year old bagging a 58 year old man nevermind a 20-something year old.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
would you be just as excited and willing to brag if your 21 yo daughter bagged herself a 58 yo?

anyhow. this behavior might seem a bit extreme for most people, but if he was already a rock type of guy or left over (really left over) punk, then why not.

or maybe hes doing things his wife didnt let him do while married.

the tongue peircing is pretty odd tho. for a man that age. well for any man...

It's her life. My parents aren't thrilled with my choices. I'm not thrilled with my mom's. It's my life, it's your friends life..... now EVERY MAN CHOOSING TO PIERCE A TONGUE, NOT JUST YOUR FRIEND, IS ODD

Old 01-22-2009, 01:29 PM

I would definetely give Joan Van Ark a whirl! And I believe she's 20 years older than
me!

This post rated...

Old 01-22-2009, 01:37 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,110,658 times
Since he's newly divorced, he's probably trying to establish himself and doesn't know how. He also probably feeling really insecure and wondering if he'll find someone else. Of it's also indulge your favorite lifestyle fantasy time. Meaning do all the things his ex-wife wouldn't let him do.

He'll get over it eventually. Just try not to let him do too much that is irreversable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships