Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 10:33 PM

253 posts, read 1,055,926 times

Advertisements

Article LINK

I just read this article and fully agree with all that was mentioned in the interview. I very much believe that it should be a mission for every woman to feel good about bodies completely naked because it's not just about comfort with how we look...but with who we are as individuals. That kind of comfort speaks loudly about a low of things and it's wonderful to feel freed by the burdens that come with poor self-image.

When you read this article, either as a man or woman, what thoughts come to mind? Do you agree or disagree with any of the points stated?

Also how comfortable do you as a woman feel about your body naked?
  • By yourself?
  • With a partner?
  • With the idea of various people seeing you hypothetically in someplace like a painter's studio posing for art students?

The last question isn't about whether or not you'd take on a job like that, but whether or not you'd feel comfortable in such a setting where you'd have to command confidence in yourself physically and emotionally while in the presence of others thus challenging the core of fear that relates to poor body image.

I also agree that women are judged MORE by their worth visually and men more by the bottom line (accomplishment, intelligence, money and so forth). Not to say that men's looks don't matter at all, but let's be real here and realize that for women it is far more of a bargaining asset. As a result, women can be far harsher and more judgmental of each other than men can be about the appearance of women.

Would love to hear some thoughts on the article linked and the questions posed above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 11:07 PM

318 posts, read 820,784 times
Moderator cut: images removed

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 06:25 AM..

Old 01-25-2009, 11:10 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
I just had a post on this topic a few days ago.

I feel fine naked with my partner...completely. But, I work to keep myself in shape. Don't believe I'd ever want to do the painting thing though.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:23 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,144,684 times
Great post, and I agree that feeling comfortable naked is important for a woman (or anyone).
Feeling comfortable by yourself is one thing, but with the standards placed on women, and with men having such definite and often narrow ideas of what's attractive, it can make you feel unsure in someone else's presence. And yes, I actually feel that men are harsher on women then women on women. Women judge in more of a fashion sense...does she look good in her clothes. You'll often see women regarding women of various body types as attractive if they can dress their body type, but less so with men, who seem to have one very specific ideal.
One thing that bugs me about these articles is the focus on larger women....thin women can feel very insecure. Growing up thin, I cannot tell you how many rude exclamations I got over how "rail thin" I was and being told to eat more . Thin women can be insecure about breast size also, as men into big boobs are so vocal about it. I think any woman of any size can fall into the trap of being overly critical of her body and then becoming uncomfortable with herself.
I feel uncomfortable in front of cameras and probably in that artist scenario, but it has far less to do with my body than a general shyness. I think that's a different topic, and now I am rambling

Oh, this is sort of related, but Shirley Manson (of Garbage) made some great statements recently about beauty ideals and women in an interview (scroll down about half the page):SuicideGirls > Interviews > Shirley Manson: Rock Star Terminator
Anyway, I thought she was really articulate.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:21 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Try spending a few days at a nudist campground, nudist resort, or nude beach. After the first hour or so you start to forget you're even naked.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:46 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,144,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Try spending a few days at a nudist campground, nudist resort, or nude beach. After the first hour or so you start to forget you're even naked.
yeah but you won't forget the people around you are
didn't someone use a puking smiley in this forum once?
and is it wrong of me to joke that way in a thread about being comfortable with nudity?

Old 01-26-2009, 12:03 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,856,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Don't tell Killer2021 about nudist colonies. He's already facing enough charges.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:46 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,070,068 times
Default why women should feel good naked?

because I like to stare at them naked!

Old 01-26-2009, 10:21 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,982,998 times
Going to nudist clubs with my former husband was the best thing I ever did for my self-esteem and how I felt being naked. I'm not thin (not obese either,) and until I had a breast reduction 2 months ago, I hated my breasts, but at the nudist clubs we went to, I felt totally normal. Many people were larger than me and some were smaller than me, but what I did find out is that not a single person was perfect. We all have flaws, some larger than others. I personally think all young men should spend at least a day in a nudist club so they can see what real women look like, not some air-brushed fake beauty in a magazine. I also think all women with self-esteem issues should spend a little time at a nudist club because they too would benefit from knowing that nobody is perfect. With all the flaws my ex hubby had, I always felt great being naked around him. I feel that way with current hubby, but I can't get him to go to nudist clubs .

Old 01-26-2009, 10:55 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
I was hoping for more pics in that link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships