Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 07:48 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,144,437 times

Advertisements

As you all know, in the great, great movie, Bill Murray has to live Groundhog Day over and over again until he finally gets it right (By the way, it's not airing tonight. What the heck?).

During one scene, he asks no one in particular something like, "We went snorkeling. We ate lobster. We made love like sea otters. Why can't I live that day over and over again?"

That being said, what day would you live over and over again? Your weddings and the birth of your children don't count. Yeah, and no pious answers, either, such as "Any day while my mom and dad were still alive." Instead, you're expected to be completely selfish.

Here are my top ones, in no particular order:

1) Mrs. CPG and I biking in the San Juan Islands in Puget Sound. It was a crystal clear, late-August day. As we peddled up this long hill, just the two of us, a large pod of killer whales swam in, breaching the surface and falling back into the water. They made a pronounced slap as they hit the water. We stood there astride our bikes mesmerized for thirty minutes until they swam out of sight.

2) The day my very first novel arrived. The UPS truck pulled up on Saturday, the driver pulled a box out of the back, and brought the carton to my door. I opened it, pulled out the book, read my name on the cover, felt the paper and smelled the ink and glue of the binding. It just really felt wonderful. Friends came by to celebrate with us, and read excerpts out loud. I signed ten books and gave them away, and felt like a real author.

3) When I was in New Zealand, I was hiking the Routbourne Track and fell in with some other folks, one of whom was a beautiful German girl. We just hit it off, and walked by ourselves the remaining six miles of the trail through the Southern Alps, away from the rest of the group, a bunch of Australian blokes. We got to the end of the trail, and hitchhiked. A lovely, elderly New Zealand woman stopped and gave us a ride in town (She actually called us Dearie). When we got to Queenstown, we checked into a youth hostel, and learned that the Berlin Wall was being torn down. We ran as fast as we could to a bar with a television, and started celebrating. We found some other Germans, and everybody was singing songs and absolutely giddy. My friend had Aunts and Uncles in East Germany whom she had never seen, and she called her parents from the local post office and talked excitedly about how they would soon be reunited. I just felt privileged to be part of the Germans' happiness.

4) We threw one great yard party with about 150 of our closest friends once. It was supposed to last from 1 until 4, but somehow lasted until midnight. It was one of those parties where nobody wanted to leave, for everybody was having a terrific time. People would leave, go to the grocery store to buy hamburgers and hot dogs, and we just kept right on going.

5) The day Mrs. CPG and I sailed along the north coast of St. Croix to Buck Island, renowned for its reefs. We were both still new to sailing, but I coaxed her to steer through a cut in the reef into an inlet. We dropped anchor, and snorkled around the reef for hours, and ate bologna sandwiches on the beach. We got back to Christiansted late in the day ahead of a thunderstorm. After we cleaned up and changed clothes, we ate dinner at this open air restaurant two stories above the street. We listened to the rain pelt the tin roof above us while the owner and his wife made us dinner, for it was shoulder season, and most of the tourists had gone home. They sat at the table with us until other diners arrived. As it turns out, the other diners sat at the adjacent table, and we all wound up sitting together--restaurateurs and guests and having a wonderful time.

Last edited by cpg35223; 02-02-2009 at 08:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 08:00 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,002,157 times
Any day but today b'c my brother died 3 years ago today and March 29, my sister died a year ago then.

I'd relive the day my children were born, even tho' they were c-sections.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:09 AM

Oh, here's another one.

Two years ago, we took the kids to New York City. It was the first time they had ever been. One morning, we got up early, and ate breakfast. Then we headed to FAO Schwartz and the MOMA, cutting through Central Park. It was a gorgeous, warm day. After lunch, we got on the subway to Yankee Stadium, where we met my brother and his new wife and took in a game against the Mariners (The Yankees lost). After that, we took the subway all the way back down to the tip of Manhattan, and walked across the Brooklyn Bridge to a pizza place that's immediately under the bridge and looks out over the East River. We waited in line (No reservations, no credit cards), and made small talk with the New Yorkers in line, and had the most delicious pizza ever. After that, we walked back across the Brooklyn Bridge while the sun set behind the Manhattan skyline, and took the subway all the way back to our hotel. The kids were exhausted but happy.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:46 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,031,245 times
The day I hit the lottery is a day I would want to re-live. Gotta hit the lottery first, though.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
The day I hit the lottery is a day I would want to re-live. Gotta hit the lottery first, though.
I would offer up a slightly different idea. It isn't the day you hit the lottery that you want to relive. For that day would be spent with a bunch of lawyers and bankers signing forms. I would think the day AFTER you won the lottery, when you get to tell the world to go screw itself and buy whatever you damned well please.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:55 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,374,454 times
We were on the Alabama coast heading for Florida and decided to take the ferry instead of driving north to get around an inlet. We were looking at about a 2 hour wait so like everyone else we got out of our car and mingled and my kids walked over to a store that advertised they carried Good Humor Bars and to get something to drink. One of the locals said that the ferry had been disabled for about a month and had just opened back up the day before. It was a poor little town where as one guy put it, it was a drinking town with a fishing problem...lol Pretty friendly bunch though and they seemed to take waiting in stride. We were in no hurry because we had only planned to drive to Pensacola and stop for a day. We finally got to where we thought we would be the next car on and they closed the gate, about 5 minutes later word came back that the ferry had catastrophic engine failure and there would be no further transports. We hung out a short time with the locals and chuckled as some of the non's were snapping and burning rubber out of dodge...lol
This place fits well with the Ground Hogs Day movie....way laid back!

Old 02-02-2009, 09:59 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,031,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I would offer up a slightly different idea. It isn't the day you hit the lottery that you want to relive. For that day would be spent with a bunch of lawyers and bankers signing forms. I would think the day AFTER you won the lottery, when you get to tell the world to go screw itself and buy whatever you damned well please.
Yeah, I can agree with this.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:01 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,267,441 times
Default Proposal day...

The day I proposed to my wife on La Rambla de Catalunya, Barcelona. We had dinner at a nice restaurant, then went to a small town called Sitges and partied until 06:30 the next morning! 'Had a great time in Spain.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:33 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,374,454 times
We had taken a ship from the Mississippi coast and were headed to Ships Island to tour a fort and do some swimming/site seeing. It was a balmy 98 degrees with 100% humidity that day so standing on the upper deck and feeding the gulls that appeared to hang in mid air was a welcome relief. We toured the fort first but cut it short after we were huddled in an area with about 50 other people and no air or wind. We hit the beach and at about 10 feet out the grouper were shooting in and out from between our legs and it never stopped, really wild considering there were no natural reefs in this spot. We hiked along the board walk to the port side of the island where we swam a bit more amongst what looked like giant stripped angelfish and walked a thin strip of beachfront to the back side of the island through the thick brush, gators, a few mule deer and raccoons. Judging from the lack of trees I would guess a good portion of the year Ships Island is swamped and would also explain the elevated boardwalk and high walls surrounding the fort. We stayed till the last ship back was boarding and ate and drank at an open air club on the pier where we boarded earlier that day.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:05 AM

291 posts, read 610,955 times
I would love to be Jeff Daniels character in the film ''Something Wild'' which also starred Melanie Griffith and Ray Liotta(has anyone seen this film) and relive the two days that he had in that film. Its an incredible film full of adventure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships