Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 10:55 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,191,027 times

Advertisements

We were talking about dreams and reality earlier and somehow it got me into Pink Floyd mood. I was thinking about Syd Barrett’s fate and the 60s. I don’t know if it’s the nostalgia for a time you haven’t seen, but I find the 60s to be very charismatic. I wish I could experience this wild and dreamy, free and hopeful time – with all the rock ‘n’ roll, sex, drugs, and yet innocence on some level.

Is there any particular time in history (or even a place) you feel like living in if you could? I would've loved to live during this time either in England or here. Yes, I know what else was going on, but I'm a woman and I'm talking from my own selfish standpoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 10:58 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,005,264 times
Not sure. All of them had their good points and then their uglies. Not sure how old you are, but if you were a child or teen during those periods, they would be ideal for you, as you were shielded from the ugliness of those periods.

But let's say if we put the uglniess to the side, I'd say during the turn of the 20th century.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:58 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,344,116 times
I would love to live the 1920's and 30's in New York as a mafia hitman and be the founder of my own crime family. Or the 1950's as a Rockabilly musician.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:00 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,191,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
Not sure. All of them had their good points and then their uglies. Not sure how old you are, but if you were a child or teen during those periods, they would be ideal for you, as you were shielded from the ugliness of those periods.
No, I'd like to be a very young adult during this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
I would love to live the 1920's and 30's in New York as a mafia hitman and be the founder of my own crime family.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:03 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,994,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
I would love to live the 1920's and 30's in New York as a mafia hitman and be the founder of my own crime family. Or the 1950's as a Rockabilly musician.
If you find a time machine, take me with you. Would you like a sidekick and or minion?

Old 02-05-2009, 11:06 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times
I guess I like the period we're in now, absent the economic meltdown. Meanwhile, I'm not a big fan of the 60s, outside of the music. Overall I think the entire point of the 60s, with the exception of the Civil Rights Movement, was to prolong one's adolescence as long as possible. Lots of societal damage was wrought there from both sides of the political aisle.

Today, while it's going to be some hard history, I also think it's going to be an era of intellectual and artistic ferment. I think there will be a great deal of economic, social, and artistic opportunity for those who are willing to take risks. People are going to stop obsessing over Brittney Spears and really start asking hard questions about how we live our lives, both as individuals and as a society. This is the case for just about any era like this.

Personally, I think it would be great to have been present at the birth of the Republic, when the rule book was basically thrown out and so many conventions swept away.

I also think the Edwardian period immediately before World War I would have been amazing. I think it's the last time we really had true civilization in the world, even if it was an oppressive and colonialist society.

Despite McCarthyism, I think the 50s and early 60s were an amazing age for artistic experimentation, so I would have liked to be there when so many boundaries were exploded. Think about Kerouac and Nabokov and dozens of others in literature, Bop in Jazz and Rock n' Roll in music, and a host of really amazing movies. Want to see a mind-blowing, eerily prescient movie? Rent A Face In The Crowd, starring Andy Griffith. The list goes on and on. Heck, even the cartoons of the period were cutting edge. Just look at a Looney Tunes cartoon from the 50s and compare it with what gets made today. With the exception of Pixar's stuff, there just isn't much comparison.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:09 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,970,410 times
Definitely the Dark Ages. Where it would be noble to strike down in the name of Honor those who choose to do that which is not virtuous in nature. In other words, I'd really like to be able to kill idiots who are criminals, doing wrong, etc. and not get in trouble for it.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:13 AM

2,412 posts, read 7,179,988 times
I would like to live in the 1990's, when the economy was doing well, the U.S. was at peace, and we enjoyed wonderful technological advancements that enabled good health and a high standard of living.

Oh wait! I lived back then! Oh well, those were the days...

(P.S. You can keep all your olden times...I *really, really* like toilet paper, anesthesia, antibiotics, my computer, and cable TV)

Old 02-05-2009, 11:14 AM

36,543 posts, read 30,891,756 times
You mean you werent a kid in the 60's?

Old 02-05-2009, 11:17 AM

1,389 posts, read 3,535,356 times
1700's!

A PIRATES LIFE FOR MEEEEEE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships