Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 12:00 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,788,997 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

So just a little situation and I am interested in your opinions. My 'special friend' or SO and I are very excited to have met each other, we are in the beginning phase of our relationship and it's amazing. We are compatible on many levels except...politics.

I didn't think it was an issue, as we make jokes about it often. I would say we respect each other's views but I made a comment about the goverment and he's a police officer and didn't think my comment was very patriotic.

The discussion was not heated but we clearly disagree on the subject. I don't think we have to agree on everything and our respect for each other trumps our political beliefs. But I wonder if this will pose a problem as the relationship progresses.

I'm not sure I want to know but tell me anyway, what do you think...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 12:05 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,087,524 times
It's debates like this that lead to things like carvil marrying maitlin which leads to this.....

Old 01-13-2009, 12:07 PM

22,619 posts, read 47,758,002 times
DH and are are complete political opposites... and our two kids are different still. We are registered with 4 different parties between us.

Makes for lively conversation... and we have been married 28 years.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:09 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,221,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
Hi guys,

So just a little situation and I am interested in your opinions. My 'special friend' or SO and I are very excited to have met each other, we are in the beginning phase of our relationship and it's amazing. We are compatible on many levels except...politics.

I didn't think it was an issue, as we make jokes about it often. I would say we respect each other's views but I made a comment about the goverment and he's a police officer and didn't think my comment was very patriotic.

The discussion was not heated but we clearly disagree on the subject. I don't think we have to agree on everything and our respect for each other trumps our political beliefs. But I wonder if this will pose a problem as the relationship progresses.

This is nothing minor, moonsavvy. I don't know how strong and how far out your own beliefs are, but you have a person living in a completely different reality on your hands... It's not only about politics at all. That colors all his views. People like this drive me insane. There's no way in hell I'd be with one of them...

Old 01-13-2009, 12:19 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,550,981 times
As long as the respect is stronger than the desire to make him agree with you I see no problem.

My husband and I cancel out each other's vote all the time.
Our core values are compatable and I think that trumps politics anyday.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:19 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,208,032 times
You know, I read a lot of threads where people state flatly that their SO, whoever that is going to be, must be politically compatible. Whenever I hear that, I always think, "What a terribly sad point of view."

I mean, I'm not talking about extremes here such as Neo-Nazis or Eco Terrorists. But if you like somebody but refuse to take the relationship further because they happen to cancel your vote out in November, then you really look at others in an impoverished way. Why?

1) One's political views are only a part of who one is. Most of the time, it really isn't that big a part at all. And, quite frankly, show me a person who thinks about politics all the time, and I'll show you a really boring-ass person.

2) There's a presumption that your political views are 100% right, including your beliefs on economics, government, military affairs, education, social issues, science, and a host of other areas. Heck, I feel happy if I'm right 75% of the time.

3) By holding this stance, one hates being disagreed with. Well, nobody likes being told their wrong, but a healthy ego enjoys a good-natured debate of the issues. After all, well-meaning, intelligent people can disagree, right?

Mrs. CPG and I agree on a lot of things, but we also disagree on any number of issues. We know where each other stands on the issues. When we talk about it, it's an interesting airing of differences, but we just move on. It's what mature adults do.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:25 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,221,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
As long as the respect is stronger than the desire to make him agree with you I see no problem.

My husband and I cancel out each other's vote all the time.
Our core values are compatable and I think that trumps politics anyday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You know, I read a lot of threads where people state flatly that their SO, whoever that is going to be, must be politically compatible. Whenever I hear that, I always think, "What a terribly sad point of view."

I mean, I'm not talking about extremes here such as Neo-Nazis or Eco Terrorists. But if you like somebody but refuse to take the relationship further because they happen to cancel your vote out in November, then you really look at others in an impoverished way. Why?

1) One's political views are only a part of who one is. Most of the time, it really isn't that big a part at all. And, quite frankly, show me a person who thinks about politics all the time, and I'll show you a really boring-ass person.

2) There's a presumption that your political views are 100% right, including your beliefs on economics, government, military affairs, education, social issues, science, and a host of other areas. Heck, I feel happy if I'm right 75% of the time.

3) By holding this stance, one hates being disagreed with. Well, nobody likes being told their wrong, but a healthy ego enjoys a good-natured debate of the issues. After all, well-meaning, intelligent people can disagree, right?

Mrs. CPG and I agree on a lot of things, but we also disagree on any number of issues. We know where each other stands on the issues. When we talk about it, it's an interesting airing of differences, but we just move on. It's what mature adults do.
I'm sorry to burst your bubbles, folks, but a dumb, deaf, and blind government-supporting sheep and somebody believing in the so-called conspiracy theories CANNOT share anything other than perhaps no-talking-involved one-night stand or a short (perhaps vacation) sex fling.

Please note, I did not mention any party lines or canceling each other's (worthless anyway) votes.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:28 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,208,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I'm sorry to burst your bubbles, folks, but a dumb, deaf, and blind government-supporting sheep and somebody believing in the so-called conspiracy theories CANNOT share anything other than perhaps no-talking-involved one-night stand or a short (perhaps vacation) sex fling.

Please note, I did not mention any party lines or canceling each other's (worthless anyway) votes.
Well, as I said in my previous post, I do not include extremists on either side. Those people are typically beyond hope anyway. And the same things that make them wild-eyed fanatics make them terrible life partners anyway.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:29 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,800,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
Hi guys,

This DOES NOT have to be a deal breaker "Mixed" marriages can and do work! Mine is one of them. When you truly love one another you figure out how to deal with the tough stuff

Old 01-13-2009, 12:34 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,063,131 times
I was getting my nails done a couple of weeks ago when my nail lady's next client came in. She was an elderly lady. The three of us discussed a variety of things that included politics and our husbands. The elderly lady said that her husband would tell her how to think and how to vote. She would just "yes dear" him. During this election, he did as he always does - he handed her a slip of paper that she was to take into the polling booth with her. On this sli of paper were the choices he had marked down for her to vote on. She took the paper, as she always does, went into the booth and neatly folded it and tucked it away inside her purse and proceeded to vote HER WAY.

Personally, I could not live like that, allowing some man to think that he's laid down the law to me - but it apparently works for her and a lot of older folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships