Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 08:13 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
The twelve step program is designed as a life long pursuit, not a week, a month, 3 months, a year, 5 years, 20 years.

There is no cure and only through daily maintinance is a twelve step program TRULY ATTEMPTED.

The numbers have dropped significantly over the years because in order to START trying a 12 step program one is supposed to surrender TOTALLY and thoroughly. Most don't do this in a few months. Thus low numbers that shouldn't even be counted. They didn't go there desperate enough to truly try. Most often they were sent.

Now when you were a kid what was your attitude when sent to the principles office? Hopeful and willing? Or deffiant and pissed off? And how many of your classmates emerged fronm their very first encounter with the principle a changed person forever, far better student, and a genuine better human being? Now remember back to when you willingly approached a teacher or school authority for help...you had a much higher success rate, didn't you?

However, not alot, but some of those kids straightened out after repeated visits to the principles office, correct?

This is why we allow deffiant people to join even though it's not what we perscribe. They are sent to us by judges and rehabs after they have swollen their heads with their stuff sort of going "here AA now you try to fix them", and we don't fix anybody!
Well, thank you for that. But I'd like to point out a big problem. According to the very scant statistical record on AA, the chances of recovering from Alcoholism with the help of AA is the same as recovering from alcoholism without its help. So rather than really assess its own dismal success rate and perhaps wonder if it's not a very good approach, AA instead blames the people who stop attending the meetings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
And another thing...Penn Gillette a guy who uses the f word so much he cannot appear on TV interviews without a long delay, is your source on this topic?
Hey, he's hysterical and that's his shtick. But you really can't argue with the guy's research. And, what's more, calling it bullsh*t is really pretty darned appropriate.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:14 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,551,567 times
It's a joke, peeps. Mainly.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
It's a joke, peeps. Mainly.
Well, that's the problem. AA is kind of a joke, so it's really hard to differentiate the two.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:16 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,257,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, that's the problem. AA is kind of a joke, so it's really hard to differentiate the two.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
LOL...I mean seriously. M, you're in the medical field. Is there any other so-called disease that can be cured by strolling into a roomful of strangers a couple of times a week and talking about yourself?

Old 02-23-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
LOL...I mean seriously. M, you're in the medical field. Is there any other so-called disease that can be cured by strolling into a roomful of strangers a couple of times a week and talking about yourself?
I deal with them in the waiting room at the practice or after they are long gone but my husband would know

A friend who is a psychiatrist mentioned to me that the 12 step programs have a MUCH higher success rate when coupled with therapy and sometimes meds. Personally, I have never known anyone that has been successful with AA.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I deal with them in the waiting room at the practice or after they are long gone but my husband would know

A friend who is a psychiatrist mentioned to me that the 12 step programs have a MUCH higher success rate when coupled with therapy and sometimes meds. Personally, I have never known anyone that has been successful with AA.
Me neither. So what your friend is saying that if it weren't for the therapy and the meds outside of the AA program, the AA member will have the same cure rate as the one who doesn't go to AA. That's not a ringing endorsement to me.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:27 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,551,567 times
I'd say it's a joke for the sociopath as I really don't think there's a cure for them. Guilt is a great motivator for reform and atonement in the case of addicts, where sociopaths don't have that burden.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Me neither. So what your friend is saying that if it weren't for the therapy and the meds outside of the meetings, the AA member might as well not be going to the meetings at all.
I understood it as the success rate of a 12 step would be much higher if there were a 3 tier approach and that one approach used exclusively would not be as successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships