Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 02:48 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times

Advertisements

I'm a "dog person" to the bone, even reading up on breeds and knowing the statistics about them. Australian Shepherds and Border Collies are at the top of my list and what I have owned. Cats are ok...if they have a dog's personality. Not long ago, I lived in an area where a cat, who HAD an owner, would wait for me to come home from work, follow me, and then hang out in my living room and purr. He didn't want food. He was well fed.

Ok, so here it is. I am a "dog person" and have always gotten along better with women who are "cat people." I've found I don't really like some women who are "dog people," especially those who collect German Shepherds or other big dogs. And I thought the "dog people" went with "dog people" and "cat people" went with "cat people." I'm perplexed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 02:57 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
I've alway found men that are "cat people" are a bit weird. I'm more of a dog person, but as long as the guy likes animals in general.

I think its odd that anyone wouldnt like a memeber of the opposite gender based on their preference for cats or dogs.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:58 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
No. However I think people who talk to and about their pets as if they were surrogate children with human personalities are really unhinged and need therapy. They should be avoided at all costs.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:59 PM

647 posts, read 2,083,701 times
I have no clue about this phenomenon. I do know that I like doggs better than cats, though. Does that make me a dogg person?

Old 02-24-2009, 03:04 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Ive never heard of this phenomenon either. I am a dog person (Molossers preferred) and have always been a dog person. I have always dated women who were dog people as well. There may have been a couple who were cat and dog women, but Ive found that cat women tend to me a bit loopy. I just get along better with dog people. I hate cats really.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:07 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Okay, I'm gonna throw a twist into the mix here ... I'm a bird person. I have three parrots (had 5 at one point) and I know all about birds - their latin names, characteristics, variations, regions, what they eat, their mating calls and sounds, etc, etc, etc.

What kind of a person would I or should I be attracted to? And an even more perplexing question - what kind of a person would be attracted to ... ME???

I'm thinking reptilions! Snake people!!!

Or is it as they say ... birds of a feather flock together? I can honestly say that my husband's (female) cousin, who is also a bird person, and I hit it off immediately - and that's before we even knew the other was also a bird person!

Old 02-24-2009, 03:12 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Let me put it this way. Unless the other party just has a virulent hatred for animals, anybody who rules out somebody simply because he/she prefers either dogs or cats deserves all the relationship problems they get.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:12 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I'm a "dog person" to the bone, even reading up on breeds and knowing the statistics about them. Australian Shepherds and Border Collies are at the top of my list and what I have owned. Cats are ok...if they have a dog's personality. Not long ago, I lived in an area where a cat, who HAD an owner, would wait for me to come home from work, follow me, and then hang out in my living room and purr. He didn't want food. He was well fed.

Ok, so here it is. I am a "dog person" and have always gotten along better with women who are "cat people." I've found I don't really like some women who are "dog people," especially those who collect German Shepherds or other big dogs. And I thought the "dog people" went with "dog people" and "cat people" went with "cat people." I'm perplexed.
Tell me about my Tibetan Terrier...he is a pain in the rear

I am an animal person. I have 3 dogs, 1 cat (with a dog personality), and 2 hamsters What does that make me????? I tend to gravitate towards larger breed dogs (I have a Newfoundland and lab in addition to my Tibetan).

Old 02-24-2009, 03:15 PM

647 posts, read 2,083,701 times
After a moment to think about this......my wife also really likes doggs and we have raised them throughout our entire married life......

Old 02-24-2009, 03:20 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
I much prefer Dogs to Cats ( though I still have a fondness for Felines) and therefore always assumed I was more of a Dog person but my partner is convinced I am far more like a Cat in terms of personality so I don't know...

I am extremely loyal but not very gregarious, love to be stroked ( my fiance claims I make a sort of purring sound !) but when I get bored I will walk away so to speak and I am far more of a loner than a " mixing up with others" kind of person... I get bored really easily .

I am fairly self sufficient, enjoy my own company but on the other hand will be loyal to the death to those I love.

So I am not sure what that makes me ?!
Can one be a hybrid of both ...

My favourite animal is the Wolf so that would out me closer to the dog category but on the other hand I really admire Big Cats too...

I tend to be attracted mostly to "Dog" people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships