Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 01:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,043 times

Advertisements

My girl friend of 14 years just told me she slept with another guy,plus she text/email the guy, I love her but this is drivin me crazy.any advice.??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 03:49 AM

16,223 posts, read 25,737,292 times
Yes, tell her good-bye!

Old 04-18-2011, 04:41 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,452,433 times
Eh, I don't agree with the blanket "dump her" statement. There's too many other factors to consider, 14 years is a loonngg time for a non serious gf/bf relationship. I'll take the keep her if she agrees to work on whatever caused the problem, in the mean time being as open with you as possible and not keeping email/txt secrets from you.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:20 AM

1,702 posts, read 2,334,022 times
A gf of 14 years? Isn't that a long enough time to decide if you want to marry this person or not? Good thing you didn't. She still texts and emails the guy? Tell her to take a hike seriously.

Don't be manipulated by the time spent with this person to keep you from leaving her.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:34 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,452,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthescreen View Post
A gf of 14 years? Isn't that a long enough time to decide if you want to marry this person or not? Good thing you didn't. She still texts and emails the guy? Tell her to take a hike seriously.

Don't be manipulated by the time spent with this person to keep you from leaving her.
Until we know more details it could be - 13.5 years of being completely faithful, until the feeling of "this relationship is going nowhere" gnaws at her completely and she falters one emotional night (with a prince charming whispering in her ear).

It could also be 14 years of her secretly cheating, until the OP finds out a decade and a half later.

Heck, it could also be the OP cheated numerous times throughout the relationship and this is her "revenge" guy.

So I definitely don't agree with blanket "ditch that bi*tch bro!" statements. I think people need to stand up for her as well and try to get the rest of the story out, as something seems off about this story..

Old 04-18-2011, 06:14 AM

1,702 posts, read 2,334,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
Until we know more details it could be - 13.5 years of being completely faithful, until the feeling of "this relationship is going nowhere" gnaws at her completely and she falters one emotional night (with a prince charming whispering in her ear).

It could also be 14 years of her secretly cheating, until the OP finds out a decade and a half later.

Heck, it could also be the OP cheated numerous times throughout the relationship and this is her "revenge" guy.

So I definitely don't agree with blanket "ditch that bi*tch bro!" statements. I think people need to stand up for her as well and try to get the rest of the story out, as something seems off about this story..
WAY too many assumptions. Also I don't agree with sticking up for someone who cheated no matter what the excuse is. If you're unhappy then break off the relationship.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:34 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,747,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jc01 View Post
My girl friend of 14 years just told me she slept with another guy,plus she text/email the guy, I love her but this is drivin me crazy.any advice.??
14 years?

Should of put a ring on it. I don't know many that would stick around as just a girlfriend for 14 years. Maybe thats why she cheated. Its crappy that she cheated. But its also crappy you kept her as just a girlfriend for a decade and a half almost if she wanted more than that.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:37 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,291,509 times
She no longer values you or the relationship anymore, if she's willing to sleep with another guy after 14 YEARS.

Get it together and realize that infidelty is the ultimate form of deceit and disrespect.

Break up with her before she does it again.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:44 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,351,805 times
I don't get much imfo from your post....Maybe she's just tired of being your "girlfriend".

Old 04-18-2011, 08:55 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,178,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
Eh, I don't agree with the blanket "dump her" statement. There's too many other factors to consider, 14 years is a loonngg time for a non serious gf/bf relationship. I'll take the keep her if she agrees to work on whatever caused the problem, in the mean time being as open with you as possible and not keeping email/txt secrets from you.
I agree with being opposed to the blanket "dump her" statement too, but for me personally: trust is too important to me. After being cheated on (which I never have been to my knowledge), I can't see myself trusting that person every again. That would sure make it hard to have a loving relationship with someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
14 years?

Should of put a ring on it. I don't know many that would stick around as just a girlfriend for 14 years. Maybe thats why she cheated. Its crappy that she cheated. But its also crappy you kept her as just a girlfriend for a decade and a half almost if she wanted more than that.
Since we don't know any other details, you can't really make that judgment. It's attitudes like yours that prevent quality men from putting rings on fingers. Who would want to be stuck with a woman that felt she was entitled to a ring simply because she stuck around for 10 years? What if he "put a ring on it" and she cheated anyway? Then would you say "shouldn't have put a ring on it?"

Thank you. Winning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships