Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 05:41 PM

900 posts, read 1,702,448 times

Advertisements

In a relationship (husband/wife) or any type of relationship, is there any excuse for deception? What is going on is my spouse says yes to our discussions about how things should be done, simply to end them and then goes and does what he wants anyways. (Is this what passive -aggressive is?) When I catch him, he says "I had to becasue I don't want to do things YOUR way" Is there ever a vaild excuse? (we're not talking about cheating here, just general lies)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 05:44 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog1 View Post
In a relationship (husband/wife) or any type of relationship, is there any excuse for deception? What is going on is my spouse says yes to our discussions about how things should be done, simply to end them and then goes and does what he wants anyways. (Is this what passive -aggressive is?) When I catch him, he says "I had to becasue I don't want to do things YOUR way" Is there ever a vaild excuse? (we're not talking about cheating here, just general lies)
Yes, that's passive/aggressive. He's passive with you.

There is no excuse for this. If he doesn't want to do things your way, he should tell you that.

I'd suggest counseling. It's odd behavior to lie to a spouse like this, repeatedly.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:34 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,868,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Yes, that's passive/aggressive. He's passive with you.

There is no excuse for this. If he doesn't want to do things your way, he should tell you that.

I'd suggest counseling. It's odd behavior to lie to a spouse like this, repeatedly.
sounds like normal behavior when you are married to a nagging wife.

Seriously, just let him do things his way. Stop playing like you are his mommy.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:29 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,700,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
sounds like normal behavior when you are married to a nagging wife.

Seriously, just let him do things his way. Stop playing like you are his mommy.
exactly. thank you. I know what its like being cheated on and its not fun. This is why im happy i can openly speak to my wife, when she is awake, about something i don't like. When she decides to treat me like one of her 3rd graders, i stop her and tell her.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:38 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,868,386 times
Default Valid excuse for deception

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog1 View Post

Calm down, this is a very common ploy that men use. Mine does it all the time. You can be yadda, yaddaing in his ear about something that is important to you that you need his input on and he is in the throes of parallel processing other thoughts and just "yesses" you to death to end your yadda, yaddaing. They do it all the time and mine is the Grand Master of parallell processing. I am ALWAYS saying to him "Where did that come from"...meaning we can be talking about reseeding the lawn and all of a sudden he is off on something that happened at work??

NO this is not passive aggressive by any means of those terms. What happens when the two of you decide on something then he goes and does what he wants is that he was NOT listening when it was first discussed and doesn't DARE ask you what was discussed because he knows you are going to go off on him. So for fear of the reprimand that is coming, he "wings" it and does it HIS way. It is a "guy thing". I am sure this is far from deception.

My suggestion to you....that is if this really bothers you...write down what you have decided kind of like an agenda for him then when whatever you want him to take care of doesn't happen, show him the agenda. It will save you having to say to him "SO..we decide to take care of the xyz and you go ahead and do abc anyhow"...then a fight starts...etc. Get my drift?

Old 03-12-2009, 05:30 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Surprise birthday parties, I suppose. Anything else erodes trust.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:42 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,688,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post

Calm down, this is a very common ploy that men use. Mine does it all the time. You can be yadda, yaddaing in his ear about something that is important to you that you need his input on and he is in the throes of parallel processing other thoughts and just "yesses" you to death to end your yadda, yaddaing. They do it all the time and mine is the Grand Master of parallell processing. I am ALWAYS saying to him "Where did that come from"...meaning we can be talking about reseeding the lawn and all of a sudden he is off on something that happened at work??

NO this is not passive aggressive by any means of those terms. What happens when the two of you decide on something then he goes and does what he wants is that he was NOT listening when it was first discussed and doesn't DARE ask you what was discussed because he knows you are going to go off on him. So for fear of the reprimand that is coming, he "wings" it and does it HIS way. It is a "guy thing". I am sure this is far from deception.

My suggestion to you....that is if this really bothers you...write down what you have decided kind of like an agenda for him then when whatever you want him to take care of doesn't happen, show him the agenda. It will save you having to say to him "SO..we decide to take care of the xyz and you go ahead and do abc anyhow"...then a fight starts...etc. Get my drift?
I agree. I used to do this with my wife frequently, and I was also accused of being passive aggressive. Men don't communicate, or respond well when our SO is talking "AT" them instead of "TO" them. There are also expectations that women have of men that are sometimes just not fair. For example if a man has an idea about what he wants to do around the house he would/should first discuss the idea (well in advance) then carry out the plan. If there is any help involved he will either say so during the discussion, or enlist the help of one of his friends. Women on the other hand wait till the day they want to execute said plan, and the man has either parked himself in front of the TV to either watch the big game, or movie he planned to watch all week. They will then discuss what they want to do, and immediately expect the man to (without ANY attitude) help them implement said plan or complete said project.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:07 AM

2,412 posts, read 5,084,618 times
This communication block is explained in depth in the Pease's book Why Men Don't Have a Clue and Women Always Need More Shoes.

It often has to do with the woman talking so damn much he's gotten into nodding and "yeah, yeahing" her. She often chooses to do a lot of requesting while he's trying to focus on a single thing, in an effort to get a yeah, yeah out of him, know DAMN WELL he's not fully paying attention.

Example...he's intently watching a NCAA basketball game. Now they sat through breakfast with hardly a word, they watched Oprah together and he knows not to even try to speak while god is on TV...
...So she chooses triple overtime and my team has the ball to tie to inquire...

"Dave is it OK if mom stays a week to go shopping with me so i can buy stuff with our tax return?"

KNOWING DAMN WELL..the answer is going to be "yeah, yeah...i'm watching the game here!"

So this stuff works both ways...ladies!

Old 03-12-2009, 09:14 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
We have this situation, but in reverse. My husband does all the yapping and nagging and I just yes him to death and do what I'm gonna do anyway.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:12 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times
yes that is passive aggressive

it is dishonest, deceptive, and deceitful

rather than getting mired in it being a "gender" issue (which it is NOT)
see it as an extremely unhealthy style of communication and unhealthy behavior

what is the remedy?
learning yourself how to engage in clear, direct healthy communication and healthy relationship behaviors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships