Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 02:04 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,873,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone09 View Post
Hi i've been married for almost 2 years, but me and my husband have been together for over 4 years. I knew it from the beginning that he never likes to stay at home. But since we've gotten married, he'd always go out and stay at his friends or coworker's house all day on saturdays and sundays instead of staying home with me. Is this normal? I feel like we have a very strong relationship, we never argue about anything, and he's very loving when he IS with me. I'm just starting to feel a little anxious cuz of him rather spending all day with friends on a weekend than with me. Maybe i'm just feeling insecure, but aren't weekends supposed to be spent with family, like ur wife, and not coworkers or buddies? Even though I can handle being alone all day doing my own thing, nobody likes to be lonely.

I dont think your husband should be leaving you all day every weekend to go hang out with his buddies that's not right. There should be a healthy balance with family/friends and work life- to much of anything is not good. I know if I was married I would be hurt by that. You should talk to him about it. Guys think differently then us so he probably has no clue that what he is doing is hurtful and wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 02:06 PM

353 posts, read 905,672 times
We believe in family first.

Friends are fine but they aren't our lives. We enjoy doing things together. Going out with your friends is okay...in moderation. Anyone who tells you otherwise is not someone you should take advice from.

Has he ever heard of going out together with friends? And speaking of "friends" I hope his friends aren't single. If they are I'd have to raise my eyebrows at a married man who spends every weekend hanging out with his single friends. (Same for married women)

You are not insecure, naggy, or whatever other negative trait just because you want to spend time with your husband and you bring it up. This is not college life, this is married life. You have every right to address your concerns.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:08 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
get out of the property management biz and let him stay out from under foot.
get a hobby, its not him. he is giving you space and you resent it? is it bek you got
a honey do list long as my arm? maybe he wants to get off work at 430 friday and return monday. let him. most gals say they want a husband aka manager of scarce resources but most want a slave ---property you use or loan out, it creates goods and services and money for you and others.
most men think they are in a partnership ha ha ha.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:10 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,455,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral View Post
You are not insecure, naggy, or whatever other negative trait just because you want to spend time with your husband and you bring it up.
I agree with this 100%. At the same time, she IS if she doesn't want him to EVER see his friends.

It's called...balance.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Princess View Post
A married man should not have a group of single men for friends for all of the obvious reasons.
Alright...so what if you have friends you've know forever and you get married before them? You are supposed to just give them up?

In a marriage built on mutual trust, both husband and wife should be permitted to go out with whoever they please as long as they are spending enough time together.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:16 PM

283 posts, read 934,199 times
Seems 2 me there are 2 days in the weekend, one for you, one for his friends- wouldn't that be fair? but you do need to talk 2 him and I think you can work up to this gradually like someone else suggeste, 1 X a month at first then 2 etc. good luck, you need your needs met, too- he doesn't have 2 B responsible for all of them, but companionship is part of marriage and if you are not getting enough husbandly companionship, you need to say so, in a nice, non-demanding way .

Old 03-22-2009, 02:24 PM

283 posts, read 934,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Alright...so what if you have friends you've know forever and you get married before them? You are supposed to just give them up?

In a marriage built on mutual trust, both husband and wife should be permitted to go out with whoever they please as long as they are spending enough time together.

I have a question 4 U or anyone who wishes to answer- what do you make of the wife (or husband- is it different wife or husband, double standard maybe?) who goes off with her friends and when she is with one particular friend whom she grew up with best friends forever, she comes back usually drunk (not more than 1X a week) and with an attitude problem from the bad influence BFF? Is this ok............

Old 03-22-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msboom View Post
I have a question 4 U or anyone who wishes to answer- what do you make of the wife (or husband- is it different wife or husband, double standard maybe?) who goes off with her friends and when she is with one particular friend whom she grew up with best friends forever, she comes back usually drunk (not more than 1X a week) and with an attitude problem from the bad influence BFF? Is this ok............
The attitude problem is HER fault, not the BFF's fault. That's assigning too much personal responsibility to someone else. And the drinking could represent another problem. If it was only once a week, I wouldn't have an issue with it as long as our relationship was good otherwise.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msboom View Post
Seems 2 me there are 2 days in the weekend, one for you, one for his friends- wouldn't that be fair?
And this is exactly what I suggested. It does, however, become different if/when you have kids

Old 03-22-2009, 02:36 PM

422 posts, read 649,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post

I did say the same goes for women. I'm resetting my sleep pattern and have been up about 20 hours so here goes. FWIW: I wouldn't ditch my friend but the relationship would need to change. WHY? Because married and single people have different priorities and if they don't they should. Also, marriage is hard work and you need a support system of people who wish to see you succeed in your marriage because they understand.

People may deny this, but their is a part of everyone, no matter how tiny, that is jealous of their friends marriage (especially women) you don't need to confide the bumps in the road to someone who has not learned for themselves that marriage is not perfect. I still have old friends but one of the first things I did after marriage was find a few women who had been successfully married for some years and befriended them. If you want to succeed at something, study someone succeeding at it. And if who my husband pleases is a 20 yo stripper with fake boobs, his unmarried frat brothers, or a gayboy in love with him the answer is NO. I don't care if they're cousins. YEAH I SAID IT. He'd feel the same way.

And would you really be cool with your wife spending her Saturdays alone with Tyrese Gibson or The Rock ? Um OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships