Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 05:32 PM

656 posts, read 2,742,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Why is this?

I work in the manworld every day. Most of my co-workers are intelligent educated males. I have great respect for them and their abilities. I'm not trying to bash anyone, I'm very curious.

In my real world, a meaningful conversation is usually a series of grunts. Followed by some mumbled incoherent noises. If I get an email, I wonder if I have to download language characters to translate the message. I wander by the coffee machine and see groups of men who seem to be talking about sports, fantasy football, computers, or hunting. Pick one!

Then I check in here. The men are so different, it amazes me. They are articulate, and have well thought out opinions on socially relevant issues. They even comment on things like relationships and books. Where are you men IRL? Where do you hide? You are interesting, witty, funny, and bright. Are you real? Some of you are single and LIKE women. Do you come here to avoid the 50 women lined up to date you?

I've been debating this with a friend all week. We can't come up with a logical answer. I've been a product of my environment. I've been too quick to judge and I was wrong. I owe manworld an apology. Thanks for educating me. I need to find some CD men IRL!
Well I have dug up an old post from yellowsnow 05-19-2007
//www.city-data.com/forum/other...s-irl-men.html

It made me laugh, but just wondering years later
do City Data Women still feel the same way ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 05:41 PM

18,021 posts, read 27,468,060 times
So women like CD men, huh?

I have a theory and I'm kind of afraid to say it here...

All of you are fake and I'm the only IRL on here.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:54 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
My theory is that the most articulate ones haunt all message boards.

We're good

I bet not every dufus in the professional world posts in message boards regularly, lol

Old 03-31-2009, 06:12 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Most men probably post to the relationship forum because they actually *gasp* care what women think and about relationships in general.

This is basic self-selection...just like hanging out at a gym will generally introduce you to fit individuals.

I am pretty much the same in real life as here. (Whether that is a good thing I leave to you to decide.)

Old 03-31-2009, 06:25 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times
There are men on this board I respect. If it were possible to crush on someone I didn't know or never met, I'd be a-crushin. I'd like to think they are the same off the boards as they are here. There are others I pray are the complete opposite of what I see here that I'd never have anything to do with IRL. It's a smaller concentration of both here, so they both make more profound impressions.

I think the boards offer an opportunity to be more open than a more guarded person would be IRL, so those who have trouble connecting outside might come here and unload. That can be both good and bad. It's the nature of anonymity, you can be vulnerable and not risk a lot. You can also be a total jerk and not have to pay the price one might pay IRL.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:06 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,868,092 times
Personally I think only a certain type of people post on forums. Mainly introverted and highly intellectual. People who enjoy deep thinking. The extroverted person or highly social will not enjoy posting on forums.

Likewise, almost everyone who posts on this forum is probably speaking from the, "what should be" type of mentality instead of, "what is" mentality. In other words, many people would say x but do y in reality. That is just the way it is.

Of course I speak from the what is mentality so I get bashed a lot on these forums. Oh well.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:34 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,798,260 times
Man I have to argue with you there. I am an extreme extrovert. In fact if I am not on CD I am outside with friends and neighbors. I usually get on here to have interaction with like minded people. IRL it is hard to have an intellectual conversation while boogying on the dance floor.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:39 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
I agree. There are quite a few quality people of both genders around these forums.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:41 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,798,260 times
I think this forum has more people that ROXORZ than SUXORS!

Old 03-31-2009, 07:44 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneheaded View Post
I think this forum has more people that ROXORZ than SUXORS!
I guessed it, of course, but wanted to make sure. Thank goodness for the urban dictionary! I'm behind the times...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships