Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 09:12 AM

943 posts, read 3,334,830 times

Advertisements

Just got news that two of my closest friends are moving away in the summer and late spring (one out of the country) and I can't stop crying..I've been single for so long and I'm just terrified at the thought of being alone period. I know that change is good but I feel like my world is ending
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 09:20 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
It's a lucky person who has friends who will be around him or her until they die...in this era it's easy enough to keep in contact with them, and you can always visit. Dust yourself up and go make some more friends, add to the network of friends you already have! :-)

Old 04-01-2009, 09:23 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
The fact that you are single affords you the opportunity to get out and meet new people. If you were married and lonely, you'd have a problem.

Keep in mind, your friends will be in the same boat as you. They are moving someplace new and will have to make new friends, so chances are they will be feeling the same separation anxiety you are going through.

Do something that can get you out and into situations where you can meet people...take a college course, take dance lessons or some other classes, volunteer work, or some sort of club in your area.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:39 AM

It's easier said than done, at 25 most of the new people I come into contact with or more than likely going to fall into the associates category since most people have their set group of friends by that age already. What makes it worse is that the one going out of the country is someone that I am in love with (my ex).

Old 04-01-2009, 09:48 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
I thought you were like 40 or 50 years old or older from your first post. You're only 25! Get out and do things, live life and meet new people. Some of the best friends Ive made were through either work, the gym, martial arts classes, dance classes, or through joining groups like hiking groups, running groups, photography groups etc.

If the one guy is your "EX" and you are still in love with him, then why is he your "EX" and not "current" bf?

Old 04-01-2009, 09:53 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,923 times
Default So depressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG1 View Post
Just got news that two of my closest friends are moving away in the summer and late spring (one out of the country) and I can't stop crying..I've been single for so long and I'm just terrified at the thought of being alone period. I know that change is good but I feel like my world is ending
People change, life changes and friends come and go. You should be happy for your friends that they are going to get a chance to live in a different part of the country, and out of the country. This is called maturing and growing. Now you have two new places to visit at some point.

Don't be sad....make some new friends, stay in touch with your old friends. It is possible to stay in touch. I left some very dear friends up in Maine when I divorced my husband and to this day, we are in touch and have visited back and forth. Make the effort...it is well worth it.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:05 AM

I guess it's just the shock of hearing everything at once, I am happy for them but will miss them terribly. My ex is leaving because he has a business to run in home country and my gf just got into a reputable law school and will more than likely stay there..it's only 4 hrs away but still depressing. Not only that but there's so much goiong on around me, my brother just got married and is having his baby this summer, my sister is graduating from college and I just feel stagnant.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:09 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
KMG - embrace your singleness!!! You have something so valuable and you don't even know it! Get out there and do things - meet people - get involved! Live your life!

Old 04-01-2009, 10:24 AM

2,751 posts, read 5,363,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG1 View Post
I guess it's just the shock of hearing everything at once, I am happy for them but will miss them terribly. My ex is leaving because he has a business to run in home country and my gf just got into a reputable law school and will more than likely stay there..it's only 4 hrs away but still depressing. Not only that but there's so much goiong on around me, my brother just got married and is having his baby this summer, my sister is graduating from college and I just feel stagnant.
This seems to be what your real problem is. Do something, any something that will engage and excite you. Everybody around you is in motion and you are standing still. Sounds a lot like less a social problem than a vocational or avocational problem. And by the way, if you think getting yourself in motion, on either fronts, is difficult now, wait! The worst is yet to come.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
KMG - embrace your singleness!!! You have something so valuable and you don't even know it! Get out there and do things - meet people - get involved! Live your life!
Been there, done that..I've had alot of fun but I'm over it and want to settle down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships