Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 12:55 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,373,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG1 View Post
I see what you're saying and I try not to do that but it becomes hard when your all/most of your peers are getting married, starting families, moving..basically starting out the next chapters in their lives
But that's got nothing to do with you. How precarious would all of our lives be if our impression of our lives and ourselves was dependent on what somebody else is doing. Self respect, like all other forms of respect has to be earned. Be your own best friend, your own example, your own hero. In short, live and let live. All that said, I feel for you. We all have weaknesses, personality flaws that we have to understand and conquer. You can do it...

So much of life is choosing a conscientious direction and then simply, putting one foot in front of another. You'll turn around after a couple of weeks of that kind of thinking and doing and you'll barely able to see your starting point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 01:10 PM

12,973 posts, read 34,029,179 times
Quote:
I see what you're saying and I try not to do that but it becomes hard when your all/most of your peers are getting married, starting families, moving..basically starting out the next chapters in their lives
OK! Enough is enough. This sounds like its turning into a "whoa is me, someone say something nice to me so I can feel better" thread. You are 25 years old. 25 Years Old!!! You should be out enjoying life and not boo hoo'ing about "oh my friends are getting married" or "Oh my friends are moving away" type crap that you usually find 45-55 year old women saying.

Whats preventing you from finding a guy and getting married? You're "Debbie Downer" attitude could have something to do with it. You have always been one of my favorite CD posters but come on, get with it. Get out and live your life and make friends, meet people. What do you do for fun? Whatever it is, Im sure there's a group of people who meet and do it or discuss it weekly, seek them out and join them. Just dont be a stay-at-home-and-be-miserable type person. You are too young for that.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:10 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,572,102 times
Quote:
I guess it's just the shock of hearing everything at once, I am happy for them but will miss them terribly. My ex is leaving because he has a business to run in home country and my gf just got into a reputable law school and will more than likely stay there..it's only 4 hrs away but still depressing. Not only that but there's so much goiong on around me, my brother just got married and is having his baby this summer, my sister is graduating from college and I just feel stagnant.
Everyone goes thru this at least once in their lives. It's no fun but a necessesity to grow as a person.

Use this as an opportunity to learn new things and meet new people.

Kicking up your heels and embracing being single doesn't necessarily mean the party scene. It mean doing what you want when you want.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:13 PM

78,821 posts, read 61,038,645 times
Quote:
I do have some activity going on in my life, just nothing drastic and major for someone my age. I'm going to Jamaica in June and DR in August, I'm pursuing my MBA, just got a small promo at my job in the midst of this failing economy, I'm take small weekend getaways every 2-3 weeks, I'm taking a pole dancing class this weekend and I STILL feel complacent. My friends are getting engaged, married, having babies and moving.
Hope you have fun....I got kicked out of pole dancing class. I kept asking the instructor if they had change for a twenty.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:13 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,108,538 times
Hey - I see people all around me driving 6.1L Hemi Challengers - and I'm envious because I want one and I don't have one - but my life's not going to come to a standstill because everyone else has something and I don't.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:22 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,373,569 times
Your citing all the wonderful things that your friends are doing is really an indictment of all the wonderful things you are not doing. If you were really swinging, whatever that would be to you, then you would only be happy for your friends.

What would it take for you to impress yourself, approve of yourself? What would you have to do? Not a rhetorical question, but a prompt for self examination. Think about it, what would you need to be/do (we are what we do), in order for you to respect yourself? Let me ask it another way...

What do you love?

Old 04-01-2009, 01:50 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,913,591 times
What if you joined a gym? Look up on one of those volunteer websites online and find something to do to help someone or a pet less fortunate than yourself? How about a college course during the summer? A class through Parks and Recreation during the summer in your area? A speed-dating event? A 5k event?

Old 04-01-2009, 01:51 PM

78,821 posts, read 61,038,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Hey - I see people all around me driving 6.1L Hemi Challengers - and I'm envious because I want one and I don't have one - but my life's not going to come to a standstill because everyone else has something and I don't.
Ooooh, those are hot! A little slow...but thats ok.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:52 PM

25,157 posts, read 54,035,888 times
I feel so so sorry for the OP.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:00 PM

809 posts, read 2,889,240 times
Quote:
Just got news that two of my closest friends are moving away in the summer and late spring (one out of the country) and I can't stop crying..I've been single for so long and I'm just terrified at the thought of being alone period. I know that change is good but I feel like my world is ending

Get out there and do new things! My boyfriend just broke up with a month ago and I only had ONE friend left because of him. IN the past month I've done MORE stuff and met more people then I have in the past YEAR! And I can not TELL You how happy it makes me to enrich my life like that! It's so darn STIMULATING!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships