Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2010, 03:29 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,865,200 times

Advertisements

A powerful video from Tony Porter on what it means to really "act like a man."

A Call To Men...From A Fellow Man | elephant journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 04:10 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,641,494 times
What is funny, is that according to People like Sarah Palin, the "man" should be the "joe 6 pack" and to "MAN UP" to responsibility, isn't that strange for a woman, to be so anti women?

My father was imprisoned in his man box, which made him misogynistic and arrogant.
luckily for me, I saw what he was doing and learned just how wrong he was.

Jonathan

Old 12-12-2010, 04:26 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,331,418 times
I think there is so much confusion about the gender roles today till no one can accurately say for the masses what it means to be a man, but we know it when we see it and when we don't. I think it is a personal discovery and it is subjective. Now whether that is good or bad thing I don't know. I think it would be simpler if we had clearly defined roles for both male and female. However, that too is not without problems especially in such a "think outside the box" culture.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:30 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,628,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
...I think it would be simpler if we had clearly defined roles for both male and female. However, that too is not without problems especially in such a "think outside the box" culture.
Exactly. My idea of how to "be" a man differs radically from the behavior of many other males I encounter. So, I'd probably have a difficult time conforming to some popularity vote...truth, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:38 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,123,054 times
He has good points but we all have different ideas about man and womanhood. There is no concrete idea of what it is to be a man/woman.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:49 PM

598 posts, read 2,075,242 times
I always get so irritated at this notion. There's no such thing as "being a man." If you were born with a XY chromosome, congratulations! You're a man!

Think of an analogous example: What does it mean to be really African-American or a "true brother." The answer is: nothing. Some people have some misguided notions, but as with any category, it takes all types. Just because you're wearing argyle and living in the burbs doesn't make you less Black. And just because you like art and want to raise children doesn't mean you're not a man.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:00 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,660,312 times
Well, maybe that's how he was brought up, but that's not necessarily true for many of us. I was always taught as a Christain that God made Eve from a bone from Adam's side, not from his foot. That man and woman are meant to be companions for each other, standing side-by-side as equal partners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships