Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 12:31 AM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
They don't have to give birth, so I'm pretty sure they get off fairly easy.
True, but some women really milk it... (no pun intended)

"Hon, could you grab me a glass of water while you're up?"
"I gave birth to your child, get it yourself."

"Darling, we haven't had sex in awhile... do you think that maybe if I gave you a massage..."
"I gave birth to your child, I feel uncomfortable with my body, and you are no longer my first priority."
"But... that was 16 years ago..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 12:37 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,898,300 times
I'm glad you expanded your thoughts on this Mearth.

I particularly agree with the comments about "inspirational" which is such a catch cry these days and so often misused.

I realize this will probably sound controversial but I can only assume that the guy wants to be there because he still is. It wouldn't be that difficult for him to walk.

Personally I'm undecided about the situation in general because it's not something I would do. They've made the choices they have and this situation is in existence but it is not something I could foresee happening in my life. It makes it difficult to be able to view it dispassionately.

As to your most recent comment about child support and cut off dates, as unevenly slanted as the situation you describe is, I'm really not sure why the expectation should then be put on everyone else to pay for the raising of the child. It's a known fact that pregnancy can result from intercourse and that once that happens the ultimate choices are made by women, either in agreement with the father or not. If that hasn't changed in all these years I wonder how it's possible that there are still men that feel they can walk away from their responsibilities EVEN those they didn't wish for.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:45 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,898,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
Fair points. As I just said to another poster, I didn't mean to imply that this extreme situation was representative of all fathers. But, it IS an example of how far the "raw deal" can go in a culture where all mothers are heroic goddesses and all men are doofuses a la "Everybody Loves Raymond."
Yeah I don't dispute that at all.

It's certainly a myth that's been flogged long past its use-by date in my opinion.

I guess it's difficult to discern in this case because as I just posted if he didn't want to be there it wouldn't be that difficult for him to walk.

I don't think she's a hero or a goddess by any means but then I don't think he's a saint either and whilst I am undecided about the choices they have made AND I'm quite sure there are days when both of them wish they'd made different choices (just like any other couple ) the fact is they've created this situation together and for now it appears that they're managing this situation together.

I find this subject matter very difficult because I'm a big believer in partnership but I think in this case even though it's not the kind of partnership that would interest me at all, it is still a partnership.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:33 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,523,276 times
Why the assumption that his income is the only income and talk of her "getting" to stay at home? She's disabled. Since she's disabled, wouldn't she be getting some kind of disabilty pay from the government?

The article is about people with disabilities, not their spouses. Perhaps someone else will do one on the father. I agree with the posters who have pointed out that he's in this situation, purely, by choice. Yes, he has a hard life but, obviously, he's willing to do what is necessary. Perhaps he wanted to be a father more than he wanted an easier life.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:48 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,424,679 times
Even if the interviewer didnt mention anything relating to her husband, if she was a truly grateful woman, I think she should of said something regarding how much her hubby has helped and been her inspiration, or something like that. She didn't, and that's really sad. His efforts are not even being acknowledged.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:48 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,508,278 times
I saw the special...

Who the hell forced that man to marry her?
Who the hell forced him to impregnate her?

No one!

Old 04-13-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
I saw the special...

No one!
Are you angry?

Old 04-13-2009, 04:23 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,523,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
I saw the special...

No one!
I'm with you. He chose this situation, for whatever reason. Some people have a deep need to be needed or to play the martyr. To each his own. It works out well. This way there's someone for everyone. Just because one person thinks it's a raw deal doesn't mean he does.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'm with you. He chose this situation, for whatever reason. Some people have a deep need to be needed or to play the martyr. To each his own. It works out well. This way there's someone for everyone. Just because one person thinks it's a raw deal doesn't mean he does.
You're probably right. He probably loves the role he's in. Gotta love em.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:57 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,540,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
You're probably right. He probably loves the role he's in. Gotta love em.
It is possible he simply loves his wife. For better or worse. Alien concept, unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships