Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 04:41 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times

Advertisements

Gawd! From another thread.

Two people meet, they fall in love, decide to move in together. Whether she moves into his place or he moves into hers, whether they get married or not, does it not become THEIR home?

If one is working and the other isn't, how does it stop becoming the home of the one who wasn't working?

What if I moved into his home and he stopped working? Does it then become MY home? Do I get to strip him of his rights and any say in what goes on there? Do I get to tell him to move?

Since when do we move in with/marry a supposed life partner only to borrow a life with them; when everything is "ours" until it goes sour and then it's all his or hers?

I'm truly baffled at how a woman carrying a man's child is not entitled to any say in the life they share together because he is working and she isn't.

I am floored by some of the responses here regarding commitment, marriage and the level of respect due to one another.
It has turned into transactional exchanges of entitlement instead of a true union of two people sharing their lives together.

I wonder why these men (or women) don't lay it out up front that they will only be equals when the going is good or when they make the same amount of money. Am I the only one who feels this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 04:44 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times
Good post, and just one reason I choose not to remarry.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:54 PM

177 posts, read 757,691 times
Hmmm, wonder what thread this one is about!

You're right, it's surprising the turn that one took. I tried to just give helpful advice, but apparently people wanted to take it in a whole different direction.

With my wife, what's mine is ours. Period. No matter who bought the couch, or put the down payment on the car, I've always felt that a couple who makes a lifelong commitment to each other shares ALL aspects of their life.

So no, you're not totally off base or anything.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:01 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Gawd! From another thread.

Two people meet, they fall in love, decide to move in together. Whether she moves into his place or he moves into hers, whether they get married or not, does it not become THEIR home?

If one is working and the other isn't, how does it stop becoming the home of the one who wasn't working?

What if I moved into his home and he stopped working? Does it then become MY home? Do I get to strip him of his rights and any say in what goes on there? Do I get to tell him to move?

Since when do we move in with/marry a supposed life partner only to borrow a life with them; when everything is "ours" until it goes sour and then it's all his or hers?

I'm truly baffled at how a woman carrying a man's child is not entitled to any say in the life they share together because he is working and she isn't.

I am floored by some of the responses here regarding commitment, marriage and the level of respect due to one another.
It has turned into transactional exchanges of entitlement instead of a true union of two people sharing their lives together.

I wonder why these men (or women) don't lay it out up front that they will only be equals when the going is good or when they make the same amount of money. Am I the only one who feels this way?
Just wondering Pass, how old are you?

Old 04-23-2009, 05:06 PM

103 posts, read 399,190 times
I think the "we", "us", and "ours" mentality is a huge presumption and sense of entitlement when you're not married, and moreso when there's a significant imbalance in incomes. Ideally one should talk to their SO about each other's values before moving in together, and definitely before having a baby together.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjane82 View Post
I think the "we", "us", and "ours" mentality is a huge presumption and sense of entitlement when you're not married, and moreso when there's a significant imbalance in incomes. Ideally one should talk to their SO about each other's values before moving in together, and definitely before having a baby together.
Very well put, good job

Old 04-23-2009, 05:07 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesmountains View Post
just wondering pass, how old are you?

Old 04-23-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
hmmmm....was wondering if perhaps this was an age thing for you, but I guess not.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:09 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,491,698 times
I will lay it on the line.

I will own a house before getting married.

The house will be in my name and adding her onto it will not happen.

Maybe a prenup?

I am not getting taken to the cleaners

Old 04-23-2009, 05:10 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Eh. My boyfriend moved into my house five years ago. And we're really serious about each other. I charge him minimal rent and we split the utilities. It's still my house, and because of my dad's help, if something happened to me, my house would belong to my family. On the other hand, my boyfriend's family has a trust with a lot of property. I don't get involved with his family business, and I don't feel that he owes me a part of it.

Even if we had a child together and were NOT married, I would still consider our personal holdings separate.

However, if we get married, then everything would be shared. The key word here is being formally MARRIED. Without a marriage ceremony, if we had a baby together, I would expect child support from him, but still not his share of his family's assets. Having his baby does not entitle me to them imo.

BTW in regards to thebanker's thread. No way could any guy talk me into having his baby without being married to him first. I'm not an idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships