Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 01:09 AM

383 posts, read 900,913 times

Advertisements

I'm stuck in a similar situation myself too. I also dislike my parents. I've been told personally that the only reason why no adults would laugh at me is because they're afraid that I might snap and do a "karate move" on them, since I've been training in martial arts for so long.

My parents also coddled me to the point where I was 16 years old, nearly 17 when I first went to a store on my own without them or my brother giving me a ride while all my peers either rode their bikes to the store, took the bus or hoofed it. The elite few had their own cars. This store was about only a half a mile away from my house, if that gives you an extent of all the coddling.

I still don't have my license because my parents coddled me until my dad died. He was the only one that could have taught me how to drive in my family since mt mom didn't have her license. She was honest to god paranoid about driving. (That's another story in itself).

However, you're going to have to suck up your pride and accept that sometimes, you do need help. I used to be very anti-psychiatry too until I realised that trying to compensate for some of my childhood trauma from my family's emotional and physical abuse as well as some adulthood emotional abuse turned into me doing stupid things like smoking pot, codependent relationships, seeking out people with other emotional issues for sex partners, etc. In the long run, it's healthier to see a shrink because unlike you, a shrink's been studying their art and science for at least 4 years and can hone in on emotional, neurological and psychological disturbances better than you or almost anybody on this board. Again, they're scientists. Scientists and people who think scientifically (Which I assume you do since you're a fan of scifi) are not prone to emotionally appealing BS, we're only concerned about results.

Shrinks aren't the end all to be all, I agree. It's because psychology is one of the most inexact sciences out there, and a lot of psychologists that are psychologists aren't really the cream of the crop when it comes to college graduates and have trouble paying attention to detail. According to some psychologist's notes, I was the following: a gothic Jamaician East African immigrant with low intelligence but seemed highly brilliant who dressed up in hip hop style clothing.

But yeah, some of the armchair diagnoses do have some basis in scientific fact and our prior experiences with people with those disorders. Not to mention too that it's not normal for a person to obsess over the same topic for 10 months without having something wrong with them. Like I said, I lean towards undiagnosed Asperger's syndrome, since your writing style is highly formal, yet direct, well thought out and rough, a hallmark for an angry person with Asperger's syndrome.

Not to mention that your posts resemble others on this board who have AS too. I suspect you already know you have it since you referred to somebody on the board as being "Neurotypical", a term that's mostly used by people with AS to describe non AS people.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:30 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
You mentioned the p-word. Most persons of the p-word are involved in pseudo-science.

Yes, I couldn't stay away.
Yes, I mentioned the p-word because they are about the only people who can help you develop a normal mental maturity level.

Your choices are: Flounder through life, unhappy, as you are or get help. Pick one and run with it. If you pick A, quit bothering others with things you don't care about in your life. Stick to talking about the things that matter and you'll get farther.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:40 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRedRain View Post
I'm stuck in a similar situation myself too. I also dislike my parents. I've been told personally that the only reason why no adults would laugh at me is because they're afraid that I might snap and do a "karate move" on them, since I've been training in martial arts for so long.

My parents also coddled me to the point where I was 16 years old, nearly 17 when I first went to a store on my own without them or my brother giving me a ride while all my peers either rode their bikes to the store, took the bus or hoofed it. The elite few had their own cars. This store was about only a half a mile away from my house, if that gives you an extent of all the coddling.

I still don't have my license because my parents coddled me until my dad died. He was the only one that could have taught me how to drive in my family since mt mom didn't have her license. She was honest to god paranoid about driving. (That's another story in itself).

However, you're going to have to suck up your pride and accept that sometimes, you do need help. I used to be very anti-psychiatry too until I realised that trying to compensate for some of my childhood trauma from my family's emotional and physical abuse as well as some adulthood emotional abuse turned into me doing stupid things like smoking pot, codependent relationships, seeking out people with other emotional issues for sex partners, etc. In the long run, it's healthier to see a shrink because unlike you, a shrink's been studying their art and science for at least 4 years and can hone in on emotional, neurological and psychological disturbances better than you or almost anybody on this board. Again, they're scientists. Scientists and people who think scientifically (Which I assume you do since you're a fan of scifi) are not prone to emotionally appealing BS, we're only concerned about results.

Shrinks aren't the end all to be all, I agree. It's because psychology is one of the most inexact sciences out there, and a lot of psychologists that are psychologists aren't really the cream of the crop when it comes to college graduates and have trouble paying attention to detail. According to some psychologist's notes, I was the following: a gothic Jamaician East African immigrant with low intelligence but seemed highly brilliant who dressed up in hip hop style clothing.

But yeah, some of the armchair diagnoses do have some basis in scientific fact and our prior experiences with people with those disorders. Not to mention too that it's not normal for a person to obsess over the same topic for 10 months without having something wrong with them. Like I said, I lean towards undiagnosed Asperger's syndrome, since your writing style is highly formal, yet direct, well thought out and rough, a hallmark for an angry person with Asperger's syndrome.

Not to mention that your posts resemble others on this board who have AS too. I suspect you already know you have it since you referred to somebody on the board as being "Neurotypical", a term that's mostly used by people with AS to describe non AS people.
Good advice. I hope others listen.

While our lives are shaped by our parents when young, once we become adults, they are shaped by us. It is now in your hands to make your life what you want it to be. It won't happen over night but, if you keep taking baby steps, it will happen.

As children, we have every right to blame our parents for our lives but as adults, we have no choice but to take responsibility ourselves. Between the internet, self help programs and professional help, there's no excuse for us to continue down the path our parents set for us once the choice is ours.

Good luck to you. Take it one day at a time and you'll do fine. Just remember your parnents had their own issues but you don't have to let them pass down to you.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:38 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Yes, I mentioned the p-word because they are about the only people who can help you develop a normal mental maturity level.

Your choices are: Flounder through life, unhappy, as you are or get help. Pick one and run with it. If you pick A, quit bothering others with things you don't care about in your life. Stick to talking about the things that matter and you'll get farther.
No. The p-word people cannot help me. They're only out to mess up my mind.

I have to get to a normal mental/reasoning level by myself. i'd rather drink rats poison than see a p-word.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:59 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,731 times
Why am I imagining seeing a person walking slumped over with their head in their hands.
Develope a spine and some back bone.
Your problems go way beyond your parents.
Go ahead. Tell your parents you hope they burn in hell. You may hurt the only people that will ever care about you unless you make some drastic personal changes.
I feel sorry for you.
You definitely need some serious help.
I hope you get it before the rest of us read about you commiting some heinous act to your parents or anyone else you think you can blame for your lack of self confidence.
Get help. It is available.
Do it now. For yourself and your future. For your life.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
Why am I imagining seeing a person walking slumped over with their head in their hands.
Develope a spine and some back bone.
Your problems go way beyond your parents.
Go ahead. Tell your parents you hope they burn in hell. You may hurt the only people that will ever care about you unless you make some drastic personal changes.
I feel sorry for you.
You definitely need some serious help.
I hope you get it before the rest of us read about you commiting some heinous act to your parents or anyone else you think you can blame for your lack of self confidence.
Get help. It is available.
Do it now. For yourself and your future. For your life.
As i said before, i don't want any "mental health professional".

my only solution is to be on a normal mental level.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:09 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
No. The p-word people cannot help me. They're only out to mess up my mind.
Just one of many examples of why you need the p-word people.

Quote:
I have to get to a normal mental/reasoning level by myself. i'd rather drink rats poison than see a p-word.
You have to know what a normal mental/reasoning level is in order to get there by yourself.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Just one of many examples of why you need the p-word people.
No, it's based on fact.

Quote:
You have to know what a normal mental/reasoning level is in order to get there by yourself.
This doesn't make sense.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post
From this statement alone, you are not "normal", which is the reason why all your peers laugh at you. It's your own doing.
The statement I made was correct.
Quote:
The only reason why you blame your parents is because they didn't help you during your time of crisis.

But did you stop to think that maybe you were not telling them in the proper way? Maybe they thought you were kidding as I'm sure they noticed your weird personality. Frankly, I think you should get yourself checked out because no one can see your act better than outsiders.

You yourself admitted that you might have issues:
Answer us this: Have your parents done anything else horrible to you besides "ignoring" your pleas?

When you stop to think about it, you yourself is only in control of your life. You should have stood up to people when you were 12, but you were too weak to do so.

You are 29 now and you continue to be weak and refuse to stand up for yourself as you allowed a room full of adults to laugh at you. It makes me wonder what you did or say to make a room full of respectful adults to act like children. Maybe somewhere deep down inside, you want your parents to stand up for you.

Because it's the norm.
Quote:
You can hate your parents all you want. Cut them out of your life. It's no skin off our backs. You made your decision. Act on it. To drag this thread on for 10 months shows that you clearly have issues.

You hate your parents. Move out and have a happy life and shut this thread down. Simple.
OK.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdna View Post
OMG, I can't believe I just read this entire thread. Good thing my laundry is almost done.

So, now I'm wondering, samston, are you normal yet?
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships