Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 09:40 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,620,520 times

Advertisements

Seriously, both sexes on forums spill their guts out on all subjects in hundreds of posts, it sure beats half page dating profiles on match.com etc.. To certain extent people' posts are more real than they are in the real life (considering all kinds of social & survival constraints out there). Speaking of that what is the ratio single males/single females on your average forum? 5 to 1? Any educated guesses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 09:51 AM

12,334 posts, read 17,192,800 times
Default here is my take...

It seems about even from what I have observed. There posts are more real, however it could be a different story when it comes to sharing with an individual on the forum directly.

You sound like you were not satisfied with the match.com thing. They have a personal ads section here that might be worth a try. Me personally have never did the online thing..In fact I got my computer much later in life then most, and as of May only first obtained a real sophisticated phone. I do think going out in real life is better to meet someone. There really is no substitute for meeting some one and getting "the vibe" Body language and how a person responds to their environment and others is best, But this forum has some real good folks on it.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:23 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,318,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Seriously, both sexes on forums spill their guts out on all subjects in hundreds of posts, it sure beats half page dating profiles on match.com etc.. To certain extent people' posts are more real than they are in the real life
That's the very problem, you see! Too many deep thoughts and secrets are shared online. Such familiarity tends to breed contempt. The Relationships kitchen in particular is a very bad place for picking up a mate. You just know too much about them and many of those things are not flattering at all.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:29 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,400,136 times
I probably know 4 couples that met this way; 2 are married and the other two are long-term, 4 years +.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
I probably know 4 couples that met this way; 2 are married and the other two are long-term, 4 years +.
I can see forums working, but this particular one (and others of similar nature) is dangerous! You don't want somebody knowing all your dark secrets, insecurities, etc. before you even meet him/her.

I used to read a divorce forum for some time long time ago. There was a lot of crying on each other's shoulders online and offline. Boy, oh, boy... Accidents waiting to happen!

Old 08-18-2011, 10:58 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,400,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I can see forums working, but this particular one (and others of similar nature) is dangerous! You don't want somebody knowing all your dark secrets, insecurities, etc. before you even meet him/her.

I used to read a divorce forum for some time long time ago. There was a lot of crying on each other's shoulders online and offline. Boy, oh, boy... Accidents waiting to happen!

Yeah, no, I don't see it happening on this forum. People are terribly friendly and there isn't the best commeraderie like I've seen on other forums where I have met really good friends.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:05 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,660,639 times
Quote:
Actually, wouldn't that be a plus? Save time, more efficient pre-qualification ...

Quote:
To me, being on a divorce forum would be like hanging out with a busload of clinical depressives - amusing in some ways, but overall soul-wrenching.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Actually, wouldn't that be a plus? Save time, more efficient pre-qualification ...
No. It's an open invitation for manipulation. It CAN be a plus in some ways, but to me it seems like the cons are more than the pros.

Just imagine you and me, let's say!

Quote:
To me, being on a divorce forum would be like hanging out with a busload of clinical depressives - amusing in some ways, but overall soul-wrenching.
Eh, that was a short-lived interest as I was in the same shoes.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:57 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,660,639 times
Quote:
No. It's an open invitation for manipulation. It CAN be a plus in some ways, but to me it seems like the cons are more than the pros.
That goes without saying - you're a "half-empty"-kinda' gal ...

Quote:
Just imagine you and me, let's say!
I do nothing but, my love ...

Quote:
Eh, that was a short-lived interest as I was in the same shoes.
Understood.

That's why I was only a member of the "Straight Male Key West Residents" forum for a short while - not many people on that board.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
That goes without saying - you're a "half-empty"-kinda' gal ...
As if you're "half-full"! You're just FULL! Full of IT that is!

Quote:
I do nothing but, my love ...
You must have a lot of nightmares then!

Quote:
That's why I was only a member of the "Straight Male Key West Residents" forum for a short while - not many people on that board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships