Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 11:32 AM

232 posts, read 595,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
btw ask any guy who does movies/TV and they will be the first to tell you the ONLY reason those lines work is beacuse the script says they do. As you have been told numerous tiimes, that crap doesn't work in real life!

Why do you think any woman wants to date a fake? The reason why guys aren't smooth talkers is beacause they're trying to come off as something they are not. If you sat down and had a normal conversation, like you would with someone you are NOT trying to impress, you'll get a helluva lot further than trying to be "Mr. Smooth"
Yeah, but when I told you my story the other day, I WAS being myself. I WAS being authentic. I WAS being real. Everything that I said just came out as a natural expression of me in a conversation.

And yet YOU accused me of being "awkward" and "creepy" and such.

Why? For doing what you told me to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 04:27 PM

2,564 posts, read 2,215,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanosphere View Post
I dunno, it just seems like most attractive young women today are so guarded and untrusting of strange men that it's hard to meet new girls. On the rare occasion I can bring myself to chat one up, I feel myself panicking and batting around in the dark on the inside, and I'll stutter on a word or 2 or blurt out and "awkward" phrase or sentence.

Sometimes it works. Most of the time, it doesn't.
The bolded sentence is pretty true.

Killer tends to have some truth in most of his posts, but they are also slightly more extreme than the actual truth.

I would also have to agree that talking to women about other women is not usually as helpful as talking to men who have been successful talking to women. There's been a couple instances in which I've talked to a woman who said something about talking women that made sense, but it seems like typically the info provided to me is based on the girl's thoughts of a guy she really likes being the one approaching. If you ask the same girls about guys they don't like approaching them, and they give an honest account of what's happened in those situation, well then it typically starts getting into stories that make guys get annoyed/discouraged, or make them think girls aren't worth their time.

Some females on here may disagree. I'm just going by my own experiences and conversations with female strangers, female friends, and male friends that have been successful talking to women.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Same is said for women, believe me, only it's 'insecure' or the like when it pertains to women. So no one's happy. Welcome to the club.
Most young guys don't care if a girl is "insecure" or not. The number 1 thing for guys my age is physical attractiveness and not much beyond that.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post

Why do you think any woman wants to date a fake?
I don't know; probably the same reason why so many young women date losers, dead beats, abusers and cheaters. If you had to chose between 1 or those 4 guys or a fake, who would you rather have?

Quote:
he reason why guys aren't smooth talkers is beacause they're trying to come off as something they are not.
I was being authentic and honest and real and you gave me crap for being "awkward"

Old 05-15-2009, 01:55 AM

1,293 posts, read 3,197,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Here is a word of advice: Don't listen to women. Most of what they say is BS anyways. Just think about it. Women these days are bombarded by social pressures to act a certain way.

While I see the easy-pickin's hits on him about penis size and the like. I will have to say in part that he's correct. You can look around and see the evidence of it. How many unconfident men do you see women talking about, posters in rooms of?

While not as far as I would go, people are rarely ever themselves. As a male you will be forced to fake it til you make it at some stage, period. Being awkward and sweet only pay off in Disney movies. Being this way once you've established something is a far cry from timidly walking up to a woman with your pocket-protector catching the sleeve of the carnation your holding out to the woman as an initiation for her, turning beet red and rushing off.

"Being yourself" is self-delusion. Nobody is truly themselves, women pick out clothes usually based on what the style of the year is, as a man you sure as smeg don't go to the mall in your boxers with your Jets jersey on, even though most men given the option would opt for it.
We constantly adapt bits of how we act, who we interact with, and what we're seen as based on who we conciously or unconsciously wish to attract.

Mixing the best bits of who we've become as (hopefully) adults with what we'd like to be seen as is in my view how you sucessfully get the mate you want. You don't need to re-invent yourself as killer suggests, but you will probably have to adapt your tact, as do we all if your not successful.

Edit: others seem to be thinking the complete other direction, using cheezy lines, and being "fake". There's a large chasm between acting more than a little less awkard for an initial intro to conversation and being "fake". I sense a few of the men here must have tried the "yo baby.." approach or something...I dunno.

But yes, I'd have to agree in part anyhow. Women play on the same field for this obviously, but don't follow the same rules. Put the shy girl and shy man next to each other in a nightclub, see who gets hit on. For us it NEVER "just happens", doesn't mean you need to take the extreme and be something/someone your not, nor hit/chatup every women you think is attractive, but it does mean you will have to 'put it out there' on occassion to make something happen and adapt how your percieved in certain ways.

Last edited by Waynec613; 05-15-2009 at 02:14 AM..

Old 05-15-2009, 02:13 AM

2,377 posts, read 4,346,857 times
Quote:
Most young guys don't care if a girl is "insecure" or not. The number 1 thing for guys my age is physical attractiveness and not much beyond that.
Is that how you're picking women? based on how attractive they are and nothing else? because if so, that may be your problem. OF COURSE you may come across as awkward if you have nothing in common with them to talk about.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:39 AM

670 posts, read 2,119,985 times
Quote:
Here is a word of advice: Don't listen to women. Most of what they say is BS anyways. Just think about it. Women these days are bombarded by social pressures to act a certain way. They can't say they like guys for NSA sex, otherwise they get labeled as a ****. So they act and talk as if they are looking for something more than just sex. They can't say they are looking for that bad boy with all the tattoos. So they say they are looking the nice guy who is romantic. It is just a show they put on to make sure their self-image isn't ruined.

What you need to look at is their ACTIONS. If a girl says she is looking for a nice guy but only ends up going with the bad boy types. She isn't looking for a nice guy she is looking for a bad boy. Period. Actions speak louder than words.

They say that because that is the socially acceptable way to say it. They don't actually mean it. Chances are if she is talking, she is bull****ting it. Women these days live in a fantasyland.
Please don't listen to any of this "advice". This is complete bulls**t.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:45 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,061,347 times
Quote:
Yeah but who cares what a young guy wants? I like experience.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:18 AM

22,863 posts, read 19,484,846 times
Quote:
Don't listen to women. Most of what they say is BS anyways. Chances are if she is talking, she is bull****ting it. They don't actually mean it. Period. Actions speak louder than words.
and in this case, just about any woman coming across the "words" above, will take the "action" of giving someone with those attitudes a reallllllly wide berth

so let's get this straight, you have this really low opinion of women because they are full of crap. And this makes you attractive to women how?

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 05-15-2009 at 10:47 AM..

Old 05-15-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Yeah but who cares what a young guy wants? I like experience.
What kind of experience?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships