Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 09:43 PM

12 posts, read 41,816 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I'm just taking a moment to vent. I'm madly in love with my best friend. We met, i professed my feelings a couple months later, he rejected me, everything was okay. Then a couple months later he decided he wanted to have sex, but just as friends. I decided to give it a shot. We had sex several times over the next few months, but no more than a couple times a month. My feelings, of course, developed and became stronger. his didn't. We stopped having sex. We continued to sleep together and cuddle. Then that stopped, because he thinks I need to get over him (which I do). My struggle is that I can't get over him. I see him every day (we're neighbors, and I'm working for him). I don't want to give up our friendship in order to get over him. I also don't understand why we ever had sex in the first place, or why we stopped having sex. And now I live in a state of confusion whenever I see him (not confusion about his feelings now, as he has made those clear, but his feelings in the past). I have hope for the future, but I intellectually recognize it's hope that is going to be unfulfilled. I'm trying to get my emotions to catch up to my intellect. Anyway, I just wanted to complain. Thanks for listening!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 09:44 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,964,089 times
He took advantage of your feelings for him and used you for sex. If he cared, he would have kept it in his pants so that he didn't confuse you. Move on, he's using you.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:46 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
That is a very difficult and sticky circumstance. I feel for you because I have been in a similar situation.

It is very hard to move on but you need to do so in the safest, most effective, and most caring way possible. If it is possible to remain somewhat of a platonic friend then let it be.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:52 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times
It will pass, as much as it hurts now. You're just going to have to go through it and keep as much of a distance as possible.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:53 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
But its like ripping off a huge band-aid stuck to the skin. So be very careful with yourself. Try to prevent as little damage as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
It will pass, as much as it hurts now. You're just going to have to go through it and keep as much of a distance as possible.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:16 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,868,092 times
Quote:
Then a couple months later he decided he wanted to have sex, but just as friends
He blatantly TOLD you that he only wanted friends with benefits. Yet you ignored it. It is your own fault. If you didn't want to get your feelings hurt you should have said no to a friends with benefit relationship.

Quote:
He took advantage of your feelings for him and used you for sex. If he cared, he would have kept it in his pants so that he didn't confuse you. Move on, he's using you.
Not really, since she agreed to it. That's like me agreeing to buy a car for 5,000 and then saying the car dealer took advantage of me for selling me the car...

Old 05-22-2009, 01:26 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,515,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
He blatantly TOLD you that he only wanted friends with benefits. Yet you ignored it. It is your own fault. If you didn't want to get your feelings hurt you should have said no to a friends with benefit relationship.

Not really, since she agreed to it. That's like me agreeing to buy a car for 5,000 and then saying the car dealer took advantage of me for selling me the car...

True. He was honest about not having feelings for her. When he asked for sex, she should have reminded him that they were just friends.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:27 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,515,416 times
See why guys don't want to date? They can get sex like this without even dating.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:26 AM

314 posts, read 719,296 times
I think the OP short changed herself and set both people up for a miserable adventure. First, why would you accept less than what you desired? Kind of like wanting to be dressed and going out half naked. Not what you hoped for and leaves you feeling deflated since what you got was not what you wanted. The guy in the picture was honest, other motives I may suspect but he was honest. Do both of you a favor and put distance along with some perspective into this situation. He may have thought he was doing you a favor [?] and you were perhaps hoping to get something more. Neither ends were accomplished so time to cut your losses and move on. But do be gentle with yourself-you made a jump for the brass ring and it just didn't work out this time. Better luck next time

Old 05-22-2009, 07:28 AM

12 posts, read 41,816 times
I agree that he has been nothing but honest, hence why I'm not at all pissed at him. He told me what he wanted, and a part of me hoped it would lead to more, and it didn't, and I take full responsibility for my share of the mess. I'm just attempting to get over him while preserving our friendship, which is very special to me. Difficult..... but hopefully possible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships