Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 09:28 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,697,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I would be upset with you as well. You don't just give a horse away. There are too many creeps out there that will just take it straight to the slaughterhouse. You know this, right?

If you are just putting an ad in the paper - "free to good home" - your horse is not long for this world. With the economy in the basement, there are not many who can afford the luxury of a horse - you really need to be careful who you give your companion to.

Would you even bother to check out their story? Would you go to see that they truly have the facilities to care for the animal - like a barn, pasture?
I would never have done that! You are so right! My former trainer was picking him up as he is a ready to go show horse but I was paying over $1000 per month not including horse shows and I didn't enjoy him With this economy I just decided to give him away and stop paying those terrible bill....NOW and know that he would be cared for Anyway my sister now is taking him and keeping him with the same trainer he is at now and splitting expenses with my mom but I didn't want my mom to have to pay. Since my dad died I don't think my mother is in a position to pay for this as she used to be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 09:32 AM

1,293 posts, read 3,189,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
You are probably correct. I had offered her the horse but she declined saying she couldn't afford it. I was giving the horse back to my former trainer. End of story though my sister NOW is taking the horse but she is still super mad We lost our father back on Feb. 9 and he used to go to horse shows with us so maybe there are issues here It would probably be a book. Oh goodness goodness me.
Sorry to hear about that. I'd just see what you could work out, as usual, the only real advise to be given is to speak with her about it, perhaps be the bigger person and simply apologize outright for not considering it might hold some connection you didn't previously consider? Dunno for sure.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:43 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,893,720 times
Maybe your sister doesn't truly know the definition of a narcissist?

Old 05-30-2009, 10:27 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,157 times
Default Am I a narcissist?

Quote:
my sister said I was a narcissist. I have always thought I might be yet I'm not even totally sure exactly what one is...help
I briefly went out with one last summer. She could wear out a mirror. I didn't notice this at the time but all my friends subsequently pointed this out and told me how lucky I was to be dumped. According to her, I was not good at giving compliments. (and yuck - I drink tap water)

I guess that this makes me clueless but since then, I've been observing and learning.

Most guys in their 40s and 50s are good judges of this. Why not ask them?

Old 05-30-2009, 11:51 AM

52,250 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Ok short story we had a little family tiff as I (tried) to give my horse away because I couldn't afford him. This didn't go over well with my sister or mother at all and my sister said I was a narcissist. I have always thought I might be yet I'm not even totally sure exactly what one is...help Crazy yet but family issues tend to be
I'm pretty sure the fact that your questioning yourself may mean that you're not a narcissist. I think those type of people would automatically assume it was someone else's problem, not their own.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:07 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
I would never have done that! You are so right! My former trainer was picking him up as he is a ready to go show horse but I was paying over $1000 per month not including horse shows and I didn't enjoy him With this economy I just decided to give him away and stop paying those terrible bill....NOW and know that he would be cared for Anyway my sister now is taking him and keeping him with the same trainer he is at now and splitting expenses with my mom but I didn't want my mom to have to pay. Since my dad died I don't think my mother is in a position to pay for this as she used to be
I'm relieved to hear you didn't just dump the animal. Too many people take that route and the horse ends up with creeps looking to make a quick buck.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:14 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
nothing that you have posted in OP addresses characteristics of narcisst whatsoever.
it deals with living within your means. horses are expensive to maintain especially if you give them lots of carrots like i do.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:36 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm pretty sure the fact that your questioning yourself may mean that you're not a narcissist. I think those type of people would automatically assume it was someone else's problem, not their own.
Yup, would agree that "it's never my problem" is pretty much one of the defining characteristics of your classic narcissist. It comes from the fact that they're unable to empathize/put themselves in another's shoes (which actually seems to better describe your mom & sis's reaction).

Although it's also become a trendy bit of psycho-babble these days, ("Oh, you're just being a narcissist!"), without understanding that it's really a serious disorder, which besides certain "bad behaviors", makes it hard for them to have a close relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships