Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 10:36 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,143,756 times

Advertisements

This is a bit odd for me:

I've had an income spike which is likely to continue or go up.

Most I've made prior is about $3,300
This past month I've made about $8,500
(not counting my medical pension which puts me at $10k and a free apartment)

I'm still content with (largely) the same lifestyle. Same car, same clothing, only thing I've really bought is an iPad, and I was going to anyway and can use it for work.

How This ties to this forum and my question is dating.
I've worked straight through the last 2 weeks, 14-16 hours a day.

Exceptions being one business dinner and 2 dates. (Internet dating is awesome) and on those days I worked 10-12 hours.

5.5-6 days are typical and I've found I enjoy it. (got a chiropractor/physical therapist which will cater to the schedule... Also covered by the company)
I'm waiting for a one week conference now and want to be working.... So I'm here trying to occupy my mind.

One of those was a fairly expensive place (over $150 for 2 without a bar tab)
- wasn't trying to impress, just had eaten there for business and wanted the food!

The other was a typical dinner/movie.

I'm not looking to be viewed as a sugar daddy (I'm only 29)
Nor do I want someone with expensive tastes.
Nor do I want someone to be uncomfortable with the "class" of the place (on the expensive date I warned her, and warned her I just wanted to eat there, wasn't trying to impress)

I've not had this problem before. I drive a older car, sleep in a corporate apartment that resembles a broke college student's place (mattress on the floor etc... Don't care, it's free and all I do is sleep there)

But I work long/ hard hours and I want to enjoy myself once in a while, and when I make more that day than i spend.... It's hard to care when I spent less than $100 collectively the rest of the week.

How can I find balance in this?

I'm living off my $1,500/month pension and banking the rest for crying out loud!
But a thrifty woman will see that I like to blow money, and a gold digger will drive me batty!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 10:46 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,427,703 times
Balance. Nice dates, with cheaper dates. My BF does this all the time. I don't ask him his financial "status". He takes me where he wants to go. The other night it was a fancy steak place, last week, we just had beer and tacos.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:47 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,290,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
This is a bit odd for me:

I've had an income spike which is likely to continue or go up.

Most I've made prior is about $3,300
This past month I've made about $8,500
(not counting my medical pension which puts me at $10k and a free apartment)

I'm still content with (largely) the same lifestyle. Same car, same clothing, only thing I've really bought is an iPad, and I was going to anyway and can use it for work.

How This ties to this forum and my question is dating.
I've worked straight through the last 2 weeks, 14-16 hours a day.

Exceptions being one business dinner and 2 dates. (Internet dating is awesome) and on those days I worked 10-12 hours.

5.5-6 days are typical and I've found I enjoy it. (got a chiropractor/physical therapist which will cater to the schedule... Also covered by the company)
I'm waiting for a one week conference now and want to be working.... So I'm here trying to occupy my mind.

One of those was a fairly expensive place (over $150 for 2 without a bar tab)
- wasn't trying to impress, just had eaten there for business and wanted the food!

The other was a typical dinner/movie.

I'm not looking to be viewed as a sugar daddy (I'm only 29)
Nor do I want someone with expensive tastes.
Nor do I want someone to be uncomfortable with the "class" of the place (on the expensive date I warned her, and warned her I just wanted to eat there, wasn't trying to impress)

I've not had this problem before. I drive a older car, sleep in a corporate apartment that resembles a broke college student's place (mattress on the floor--
[youtube]oRp_mVi969I[/youtube]

If you hope to balance your life out to include a partner in it, the first thing you need to do is buy a real bed! No self-respecting woman over the age of 23 is going to want to sleep or have sex on a mattress on the floor.

There is a difference between being careful with money and living like one is still in college because one is too cheap to live like a gentleman even though one can afford it. You're almost 30. At your age, you should be past living like a student. Trust me on this. Get your own house in order, literally, before you attempt to bring someone into it because all a relationship-minded woman will think when she sees that is, "Oh, NO. I am not going to be THIS one's maid!"

Old 03-11-2012, 10:54 PM

I have an awesome memory foam mattress, and a wonderful sleigh bed in storage in another state. (I fell into this job) along with other household possessions.

I'm not burning a couple $500/day days to go get it when I don't know if I will keep this job (it's up to me)

Or get a different, better paying job I'm going after (current bosses are friends/understand and support me)
Which will avale me the stability, and paid time off to do so.

Oh, and after a 8 year Marine Corps career I dont need a maid!

Old 03-11-2012, 11:21 PM

The bed thing is not a big deal with younger women. I met my husband, I was in college, he had nothing, he slept on an air mattress. He worked a lot, and had recently moved there...okay, six months...

He was the same way, we would go to Vegas for a weekend, Taco Bell the next weekend. It did not matter...I was crazy in love with him. We biked and skiied a lot, biking, cheap date. Skiing, pricey date.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:22 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,209,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Balance. Nice dates, with cheaper dates. My BF does this all the time. I don't ask him his financial "status". He takes me where he wants to go. The other night it was a fancy steak place, last week, we just had beer and tacos.
There ya go!

Old 03-11-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
The bed thing is not a big deal with younger women. I met my husband, I was in college, he had nothing, he slept on an air mattress. He worked a lot, and had recently moved there...okay, six months...

He was the same way, we would go to Vegas for a weekend, Taco Bell the next weekend. It did not matter...I was crazy in love with him. We biked and skiied a lot, biking, cheap date. Skiing, pricey date.

If I take the other job... It will be less of an issue. I'll have plenty of time off.

This one, I don't know how I'm going to make up for being gone for this entire week.
20 hours a day I guess...

Thing is, although the potential job has more money, and much more time off...
I really like what I'm doing.

Doubt I could leave out for a weekend away for a couple months...!

Old 03-11-2012, 11:35 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,290,103 times
Default I love Jack Nicholson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I have an awesome memory foam mattress, and a wonderful sleigh bed in storage in another state. (I fell into this job) along with other household possessions.

I'm not burning a couple $500/day days to go get it when I don't know if I will keep this job (it's up to me)

Or get a different, better paying job I'm going after (current bosses are friends/understand and support me)
Which will avale me the stability, and paid time off to do so.

Oh, and after a 8 year Marine Corps career I dont need a maid!
That is not the impression your apartment will give a grown woman. Mattress on the floor at your age says "slob."

But as long as you can't handle the truth, something tells me you won't have to worry about any of this. If you have all the answers, don't ask any questions.

Quote:
He's 29.

Last edited by Yzette; 03-11-2012 at 11:57 PM..

15,013 posts, read 21,695,799 times
I think you're over-thinking this. If you're really that worried about it then take the dates to less expensive restaurants. Also, if you can, try not to work so much so you can get more of a life-work balance. Money is nothing if you don't even have time to enjoy it.

Well, he took me to Vegas, it was part of his job, he travelled for work. Sometimes it was DC, NYC,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships