Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 10:26 PM

724 posts, read 1,685,960 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what the opinion of women who use dating sites like match.com is on men who post their income range?

First of all, a little about my situation: I am late twenties and looking for a serious relationship. I have an advanced degree and am self-employed as a consultant and make a comfortable six figure income. I don't have all of the flashy trapping of success, however. My things are rather modest while still being nice in my opinion. For example, I drive a car that is less than 20K because I see no reason to spend thirty thousand dollars on a car. Obviously, most women want someone who is successful, or at least ambitious. I am both. There is nothing gold-digger-esque about a woman wanting a successful man as far as I am concerned.

However, with the economy as it is, there are lots of "self-employed" who are really just looking for work. I respect that, but I don't wish to be written off by potential dates when I tell them what I do because they take it as I am unemployed and looking for work. There is nothing wrong with that, but it isn't my situation. I remember being single right out of school and dating was very hard before I got the job. The woman I am most into will be very driven herself. What I do doesn't fit into most people's idea of success which is working as an employee. The easiest way to avoid that problem is simply to post my income range.

What do women think about this? Also, guys feel free to post your experiences too if they are based on experience and insight (not just speculation), but I'm generally most interested in what the ladies think. I personally feel people should just be upfront and honest about this stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 10:59 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
Now I'm a female and maybe it's just me but if a potential guy shares his income with the world I would really be asking myself...why? I mean I can see your point at not coming off as broke/unemployed but I don't see why it would matter if you simply state that you have your own successful business. It's nobody's business that early on how much money you make and it really isn't a good idea to share all that with random women anyway. (Of course that may be the way I was raised, to tell everyone I'm broke even if by some miracle I'm one day not, lol.)

Old 12-26-2010, 11:08 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,439,343 times
I don't believe the dating sites!!!

Old 12-26-2010, 11:15 PM

724 posts, read 1,685,960 times
Also, what I'd really like is the feedback of the twenty-something to early thirties females who are single and use dating sites. So, if you fit that category or are close to it, let me know.

I recieved a private comment that it would be like bragging and thus a turn-off to post this information. But, obviously women are turned on by ambition and succcess, so how does one walk this fine line?

Old 12-26-2010, 11:30 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,744,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
Also, what I'd really like is the feedback of the twenty-something to early thirties females who are single and use dating sites. So, if you fit that category or are close to it, let me know.

I recieved a private comment that it would be like bragging and thus a turn-off to post this information. But, obviously women are turned on by ambition and succcess, so how does one walk this fine line?

Putting your income is a bit tacky or at least some say so. You could show that you are serious and successful or imply it. Maybe say something like how you enjoy being your own boss and building a successful business.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:37 PM

89 posts, read 140,906 times
Revealing a high income on a dating site is just asking to have your bank account and pockets emptied after a few dates. On the other hand, by entering a purposely below average income, your quality of women might increase.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:48 PM

1,006 posts, read 735,662 times
I'm a late twenties guy with a few female friends and they all pretty much agree that posting your income or even breinging it up in the first few dates is a sign of insecurity and somewhat unattractive. If a chic writes you off because SHE ASSUMES your broke then why would you even want to talk to her?

I wouldn't discuss income until things became somewhat serious. Just try paying for the first few dates and she'll get the hint that you're not poor.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:06 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,825 times
I feel there is an advantage to posting your income if it is good. Like attracts like. But if you say you have a "6 figure income" it better not be something like $100,001.

I would ideally like to pull in 400-700k/year so I would like to know exactly what my ideal dating partner is going to make. It's not bragging. If people think it's bragging then they probably have some inferiority issues.... in which case you know that they aren't gonna be like minded. I don't think like most females though so you might not want to take my advice. I hate playing games and pretending like I am "too classy to talk about my income".

Old 12-27-2010, 03:08 AM

994 posts, read 1,682,182 times
*comfortable six figure income* I bet you will get a lot of *rich prince* suitors:P

Old 12-27-2010, 03:35 AM

3,770 posts, read 6,744,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I feel there is an advantage to posting your income if it is good. Like attracts like. But if you say you have a "6 figure income" it better not be something like $100,001.

I would ideally like to pull in 400-700k/year so I would like to know exactly what my ideal dating partner is going to make. It's not bragging. If people think it's bragging then they probably have some inferiority issues.... in which case you know that they aren't gonna be like minded. I don't think like most females though so you might not want to take my advice. I hate playing games and pretending like I am "too classy to talk about my income".
Wow, 400k is like the top 0.01 percent income. Good luck finding that business partner.. I mean mate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships