Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 10:13 AM

4 posts, read 7,883 times

Advertisements

I make friends with women with no problem, but when it comes to expressing interest/attraction I have no idea what I'm doing.

I grew up thinking flirting was something sleazy and wrong to do, so I never did it. I'm starting to realize being a total gentleman, not being so assertive and and being overly cautious about making a move is nice but not exactly attractive (I've had my fair share of platonic friends tell me to cut this out if I want to start dating successfully), so I really want to change my approach and be less far less apprehensive about it too. I'm an attractive person, but I can't expect people to approach me if I cant do the same myself.

When I talk to women, I usually find myself yammering, talking too much about myself, or hitting awkward pauses when trying to keep the conversation going. I usually get so nervous and afraid...I just end the conversation prematurely.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 10:25 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,730,029 times
Complimenting
Play Teasing
Joking
Expressing interest in who they are as a person
Being close
Long eye contact

Basically showing that you really like talking to them, and like being around them. It's really not too much different that talking to people, which is why it is so easy for people to confuse flirting with someone who is just being nice to them. It's really not that difficult to flirt. When talking to a person try to avoid talking about yourself as much as possible unless they ask you a question about yourself. Keep it light, if you see something that catches your eye on her, compliment her. Make each other feel comfortable. Talk about anything, weather, sports, travel, the world. Anything. Find common ground.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:47 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,640,164 times
run a search before starting a thread, there's a lengthy one on the same topic floating around this forum.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:27 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,965,061 times
How U doin?

Old 08-04-2014, 11:56 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,906,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
run a search before starting a thread, there's a lengthy one on the same topic floating around this forum.
I posted this very topic a few weeks ago:
How do you flirt?

If it is a stranger (no conversation with them yet) then I smile and orbit.
If we have already broken the ice with a conversation starter (hello, joke, situational comment), then it is using basic small talk with smiles and eye contact.
If the conversation has been longer and there is good rapport, then it moves into subtle physical contact, like emphasizing a point with a shoulder or upper arm touch!

But lots of good info and suggestions in the thread!

Old 08-04-2014, 12:21 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,906,783 times
I haven't figured how flirting is somehow a horrible misleading thing!

Old 08-04-2014, 12:24 PM
SF

286 posts, read 324,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I haven't figured how flirting is somehow a horrible misleading thing!

In my view as far as I know, it can mislead at times, may be many times.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:29 PM

102,234 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF View Post
In my view as far as I know, it can mislead at times, may be many times.
Especially if the person initiating the flirting is already in a relationship or married. And it can get awkward. What if your flirting sends "come hither" messages, but after talking to the person, you realize they're not for you? How do you go from "come hither" to "go away" in the space of a few minutes?

Old 08-04-2014, 12:31 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,407,834 times
Give their pony tail a tug.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:37 PM
SF

286 posts, read 324,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJG87 View Post
I make friends with women with no problem, but when it comes to expressing interest/attraction I have no idea what I'm doing.

Any advice?

Why I do feel that you have a obligation to flirt here?

In my view flirting is not required at all. I never flirt and I never will. I consider flirting as cheap.

That's just my view.

It's your choice anyway.It's your life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships