Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 09:48 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,454,385 times

Advertisements

I think it's scary, at 49, to look around and see that so much is already accomplished and the only thing left is to become a President. 49 sounds "young" to me. The heart still desires some excitement, - or is it called mid-life crisis?

Yes, all those talks about "our animal nature" vs progress are right. People were supposed to die in their 40s and still our bodies don't seem to know what to do between 40 and 100.

I think we beat that by marrying very late - by the time our marriage wears out, we'll be dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 09:50 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
I normally don't watch this stuff, but while living in the gym (), this stuff is constantly on tv.

I have actually come to think Nancy Grace and Co actually pump fists with every kid or wife murder.

That news channels love private affairs of Spitzer, John Edwards and this governor now.

That teenage pregnancy of Palin's kids makes them sluts while it's so widespread in every corner of the world.

TV has converted humans into sadistic Romans of the 1st century in a sense.

I have a TV, I hardly watch it, but I can stand the BBC, they don't really persist on a man's confession for 2 hours. And some of their programmes are appealing, like arts and sciences.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:51 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I would expect the tabloid reporters to dig this stuff up and try to use it - but the local 6 o'clock news? I don't want to see that stuff or know anything about it - it's voyouristic and creepy to read/hear the private ramblings of two people in an intimate situation.
Reputable news reporters are a dying breed, IMO. There are very few I would expect to "do the right thing"...there are few things that distinguish the 6 o'clock news and tabloid programming these days.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
I normally don't watch this stuff, but while living in the gym (), this stuff is constantly on tv.

I have actually come to think Nancy Grace and Co actually pump fists with every kid or wife murder.

That news channels love private affairs of Spitzer, John Edwards and this governor now.

That teenage pregnancy of Palin's kids makes them sluts while it's so widespread in every corner of the world.

I have a TV, I hardly watch it, but I can stand the BBC, they don't really persist on a man's confession for 2 hours. And some of their programmes are appealing, like arts and sciences.
IMO, the BBC has better, more accurate coverage of US stories than our own media outlets!

Old 06-25-2009, 09:53 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:

I hear ya - it is sad what people salivate over for entertainment these days.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:55 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,874,059 times
Quote:
I think the tv watching society has become so sadist at relishing a grown man apologize and cry on public tv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Actually, I agree with you on that. I just wouldn't able to watch that, for it would be too painful. How somebody thinks that all those destroyed lives are somehow entertaining is something I just don't understand.
It was real. Raw. Unscripted. I wasn't happy to see it, but I admired the fact that he laid it all on the table and put himself out there for the world to see. Any genuine emotion is good to see in our seemingly calloused world. He made himself vunerable to do the right thing. It by no means excuses what he did, and I feel so much more sympathy for the family he hurt so deeply, but he manned up and faced the music.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
IMO, the BBC has better, more accurate coverage of US stories than our own media outlets!
I like the fact that they concentrate more on reporting rather than speculating.

Anyone remembers Tim Sebastian? The guy's a class act

Old 06-25-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
I like the fact that they concentrate more on reporting rather than speculating.

Anyone remembers Tim Sebastian? The guy's a class act
Exactly! I do not want to be spoon fed opinions by a teleprompter jockey. I just want the facts so I can come to my own conclusions.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
It was real. Raw. Unscripted. I wasn't happy to see it, but I admired the fact that he laid it all on the table and put himself out there for the world to see. Any genuine emotion is good to see in our seemingly calloused world. He made himself vunerable to do the right thing. It by no means excuses what he did, and I feel so much more sympathy for the family he hurt so deeply, but he manned up and faced the music.
He didn't have to, on tv. He could have made this a private family affair. And probably resigned. But the public appreciates entertainment only.

Spitzer, Edwards or Sanford, they aren't criminals or terrorists. They err like every man in the street. Public office does not make one insulated to errors.

We only need to take a look at the rest of the world - the likes of Mugabe, Kim or the Burmese junta who are far worse and don't have an iota of remorse and never will.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:37 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,874,059 times
Quote:
He didn't have to, on tv. He could have made this a private family affair. And probably resigned. But the public appreciates entertainment only.

Spitzer, Edwards or Sanford, they aren't criminals or terrorists. They err like every man in the street. Public office does not make one insulated to errors.

We only need to take a look at the rest of the world - the likes of Mugabe, Kim or the Burmese junta who are far worse and don't have an iota of remorse and never will.
That's just a part of being involved in politics and why I could never do it. Regardless of whether you want it or not, you're always in the public eye. In my opinion, he probably would have drawn more media attention by resigning without any explanation. Those emails would have surfaced eventually and he'd be worse off for it. Now that he's come out and said what he had to say, I suspect that this will pass over much faster and the long road of healing can begin for he and his family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships