Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 09:36 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I have been in a couple actually. I dated a Chinese girl in high school. Her parents strongly disapproved of me, Asians can be very racially minded. her folks were very traditional. She was one of the sweetest girls I have ever known. I also dated a black gal from Montego Bay Jamacia. Sweet is not how I would describe her but she was a blast to be with. Never really encountered any problems other than with the first gals parents.
Yeah I noticed that too....that asians keep to their own or traditional families do..my ex family didn't mind whites but god forbid him to date a white-girl! What's with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 09:48 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,305,849 times
Usually amount of color contrast is what evokes stares and rudeness. The darker a person is, the more negativity-IMO-personal experience.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:33 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Yeah I noticed that too....that asians keep to their own or traditional families do..my ex family didn't mind whites but god forbid him to date a white-girl! What's with that?
What kind of Asians were they? What was their nationality? Some Asians are more conservative than others. Was your ex their only son? Asian parents are especially possessive of their sons. They expect them to carry on the family name and to produce little full blooded Asian grandchildren for them. At the time you dated him, did you already have your son?

Old 07-05-2009, 12:13 PM

295 posts, read 837,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
For those that have or currently are, please also comment on the struggles and rewards. For example, some people bring up other people staring. Some say its curiosity, some say jealousy, hatred,etc. Whats your opinion on that? I am of mixed background(black/white) and am currently dating a white female. I have never really encountered any racism when we go out. Live in Minnesota for what its worth.
I've dated 2nd and 3rd generation Polish, German, Mexican and a few black men as well.

The only racism I've ever encountered has come from black men making disparaging comments while I was out with my white boyfriend(s). I used to get angry, but later I realized they were just jealous and I brushed off their comments like I would a piece of lint.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:16 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times
Yes, I have, but I look White so it isn't always apparent. When I dated a Native American man it was thought I was interracial dating but I'm NA, myself. All my brothers and sisters are dark with dark eyes. I'm light skinned with light eyes--took after my White father. Yep, half breed.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:30 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,874,885 times
I dated an african american guy for 5 months some years back.
My mom was upset about it and I knew she would never want to meet him.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:32 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Yes, I have, but I look White so it isn't always apparent. When I dated a Native American man it was thought I was interracial dating but I'm NA, myself. All my brothers and sisters are dark with dark eyes. I'm light skinned with light eyes--took after my White father. Yep, half breed.
"half breed". LMAO, I havn't heard that term since I was pretty young and I think that was in an old Western movie. There are so many white/NA couples around here we don't think about it much.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:55 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,544,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
my ex family didn't mind whites but god forbid him to date a white-girl! What's with that?
Traditionally, Oriental daughters-in-law marry into the son's family. In practice, this means they take care of the parents as they get older. My guess is that they think the odds of a white daughter-in-law fussing over them in their dotage are slim to none. (In reality, the odds of an American-born daughter-in-law of any race or ethnicity taking care of them in their dotage are slim to none, but with an Oriental daughter-in-law, they can at least hope).

Old 07-05-2009, 06:16 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
I dated a Mexican girl in high school, but that only lasted a few days.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:06 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
Traditionally, Oriental daughters-in-law marry into the son's family. In practice, this means they take care of the parents as they get older. My guess is that they think the odds of a white daughter-in-law fussing over them in their dotage are slim to none. (In reality, the odds of an American-born daughter-in-law of any race or ethnicity taking care of them in their dotage are slim to none, but with an Oriental daughter-in-law, they can at least hope).

You're so right on this. Times have changed and any America-born d-i-l in America will most likely will send their parents to a nursing home. Asian parents hope they don't end up there unless it was their last few weeks or days. I have several married friends who let their elderly parents live with them also...either that or close by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships