Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 01:35 PM

78,448 posts, read 60,652,129 times

Advertisements

My gf is latina and I'm white, no one gives us a second glance. <shrug>
One of my best buddies is 1/2 Nordic and 1/2 Indian (From the country, not native american) and his wife is from Central America....shrug.

This stuff is SO commonplace anymore that I don't really notice it.

Oh wait, I did see a white man / black woman couple at a recent event I took notice of....but that was only because the gal was SMOKING hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 01:47 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,696,239 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
My gf is latina and I'm white, no one gives us a second glance. <shrug>
One of my best buddies is 1/2 Nordic and 1/2 Indian (From the country, not native american) and his wife is from Central America....shrug.

This stuff is SO commonplace anymore that I don't really notice it.

Oh wait, I did see a white man / black woman couple at a recent event I took notice of....but that was only because the gal was SMOKING hot.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:45 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,686,951 times
married 25 years to a white girl, it sounds so funny to say that because when we talk about white people or black people neither of use see ourselves as one or the other when our family is together. we are both well liked in a small town with less than 2% African American population. some of our kids are grown ,some still at home , I think my wife and I are well liked because our kids do so well in school and sports. I come from an extremely large family and there has been at least one white person at my family reunions going back three generations on both sides, and I actually met her through her family, many of them I knew well before I met her. Although her family may be more liberal than mine, I am sure they wished at first (like my family) that we would avoid the whatever hardships an interracial family might have, After twenty five years you can imagine we have out lasted a few of our family members marriages, We chose to be oblivious to whatever hardships we could of blamed on our union. Honestly our basic relationship, and every day family problems have always trumped the black an white thing

Old 07-09-2009, 08:51 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,886,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
Traditionally, Oriental daughters-in-law marry into the son's family. In practice, this means they take care of the parents as they get older. My guess is that they think the odds of a white daughter-in-law fussing over them in their dotage are slim to none. (In reality, the odds of an American-born daughter-in-law of any race or ethnicity taking care of them in their dotage are slim to none, but with an Oriental daughter-in-law, they can at least hope).
They should of and my ex should of gave me a chance...I'm an open-minded person. My son is asian for cripes sakes.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLang View Post
You're so right on this. Times have changed and any America-born d-i-l in America will most likely will send their parents to a nursing home. Asian parents hope they don't end up there unless it was their last few weeks or days. I have several married friends who let their elderly parents live with them also...either that or close by.
I would gladly had have them...my son's grandmother..my mom lives with us. I think maybe they shouldn't judge.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
Also, it's likely more prevalent with first generations than 2nd, 3rd or later generations. My parents were 2nd generation and I think they were just happy that one of their children was finally getting married. We also have no reservations on who our kids date or marry.

We never saw any overt racism, only the occasional stare when we were out and this was in a redneck area in the late 70's and early 80's. Oh, I did shock her grandmother though, but she did finally come around.
He had a older brother who was engaged and my ex was their baby.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Nobody should really care about ethnicity/race in dating, IMHO.
I agree i was with him in my earily 20's He didn't care nor did i ...but i didn't fit for his family because i was a white girl.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLang View Post
I'd like to see what the statistics are on interracial marriages.
i dunno.......but let me tell ya My ex and I made one handsome Korean,Irish/German baby! lol

Old 07-09-2009, 09:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,658 times
I'm a black girl and I have dated various white men. I find that white guys are more acceptable to different body types. For example a black guy wouldn't give me a second glance because of my skinny figure.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:08 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs41 View Post
I'm a black girl and I have dated various white men. I find that white guys are more acceptable to different body types. For example a black guy wouldn't give me a second glance because of my skinny figure.

I'm sure some white dudes would balk at your thinness, just as some black guys would.

It's individual tastes.

Not all black dudes like thick women
and not all white guys like skinny chicks.

Please....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships