Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 12:08 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,060,993 times

Advertisements

I have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 04:30 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,945,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
For those that have or currently are, please also comment on the struggles and rewards. For example, some people bring up other people staring. Some say its curiosity, some say jealousy, hatred,etc. Whats your opinion on that? I am of mixed background(black/white) and am currently dating a white female. I have never really encountered any racism when we go out. Live in Minnesota for what its worth.
I've been in 5 inter racial relationships. Also right now I'm dating a girl and I supposed it would be inter racial because I'm living out of the country lol.

I never encounter random racism or stares whatsoever. The only racism I've faced is from the friends/family of them. Indians were racist, but mostly just the parents. I got along with her friends, except one who was a huge puss and friend zoned. A Mexican that I went out with had racist family and friends and I found it really annoying. The others, Peruvian, Colombian, Venezuelan did not have any racism. The Chilean girl I'm with now told her mom she's been going out with me and the mom didn't say anything. With the Venezuelan, she had friends who were racist of me but they were Mexican.

I don't really just search to be in inter racial relationships, I don't look at it in terms of a "reward " for being in an inter racial relationship. I just keep an open mind and if I like someone I ask them out, regardless of their race.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:06 PM

678 posts, read 1,065,668 times
My wife and I are an interracial couple, we've lived in Phoenix and in Western Wisconsin. We sometimes would get stares in Phoenix but nothing too bad, nobody bats an eye here. One of the reasons why we chose this area when we decided to move is because of the entire region from here to Minneapolis is really laid back. Minneapolis has tons of interracial couples and families.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:09 AM

31,088 posts, read 22,107,744 times
I'll add my two cents. When I date I primarely date White or Black women and not so much others because thats primarely who I associate with. Only once in a very great while do I get a sense of real hostility from anyone.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:22 AM

639 posts, read 679,166 times
Interracial relationships are exactly as good/valid as "monoracial" ones.

For an interracial relationship to work, it is absolutely crucial that the two people involved don't really see it as interracial -- just as a relationship. Differences come up for a variety of reasons: he's white, she's black; or he's left-handed and she's right handed -- and will be dealt with reasonably by any mature couple. At the same time, we do all need to have a sense of humor and sensitivity in dealing with our cultural differences.

And just to stop those who might say "It's ok, except for having kids" -- that's just silly. Look at all the beautiful, smart, well-adjusted mixed kids out there

Old 02-22-2014, 09:44 AM

16 posts, read 13,645 times
To be honest most of my relationships have been with people of a different race, not bc of preference but that's just how it worked out. I don't think for the most part people really care who you date. However, I did notice that cultural differences in the relationship could cause a little bit of conflict. In the end, if you really connect and feel for someone than pursuit it by all means and be willing to learn and grow with each other despite what anyone says

Old 02-22-2014, 09:52 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,161,993 times
Since I'm mixed...is every relationship I've been in technically interracial? *X file theme plays*.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:56 AM

125 posts, read 195,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm sure some white dudes would balk at your thinness, just as some black guys would.

It's individual tastes.

Not all black dudes like thick women
and not all white guys like skinny chicks.

Please....
As a mixed race girl who happens to be anything but skinny.... Black men say I'm racist for not being interested in them and white men say I'm too thick.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:10 PM

426 posts, read 559,142 times
Iam half white half Asian and have dated both races

Old 02-22-2014, 07:28 PM

n/a posts
I'm biracial. I'm in an interracial relationship even when I'm single.

I've only ever dated black or white girls. Then the one time, she was also mixed.

My experience is anecdotal...but it seemed to me that race was a bigger deal to the white women I was with.

But then again it might be because being mixed equals being black in everyone's eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships